Schloss lost Game 3 on Sunday.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There’s a reason the team that wins Game 1 usually wins the series. You can optimize your pitching to win one out of two games while your opponent has to figure out how to win two out of two.

A&M had to win Game 1 (Prager vs. Tennessee opener). Game 2 was Tennessee‘s must-win game. Tennessee was throwing their ace and not saving arms, facing elimination. A&M was holding Lampkin. If A&M won Game 2, it would be with offense or an unexpected hero on the mound. I thought for sure we wouldn’t see their best arms Sunday unless it was to shut the door to secure the clinching win.

Instead, they bring Cortez into the game in the 2nd inning with a 1-0 lead. He gives you 4.1 IP, 0 R on 99 pitches. Of course he can’t finish the game, and the next guy gives up 4 runs, wasting Cortez for the series.

Today, they had to go to Aschenbeck in the 6th down 2 after he threw 46 pitches on Saturday. The only other time he pitched on 1 day rest after 46+ pitches, he only threw 10 pitches in the second outing. He’s asked to get 12 outs and goes 3.0 IP, 3 ER, 6 H.

A&M scores 5 and loses 6-5.

Imagine how this game is different if they have Cortez to pitch 2 or 3 innings. Hell, he blanked Tennessee in 4.1 IP in a one run game. Instead, they wasted him.

It’s hard to win a national title. In 20 seasons at TCU and A&M, Schloss has zero.

Surprised A&M is going to Cortez so early.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjoelner and patdog

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Still baffling to me why he brought Cortez in that early in G2, knowing good and well he wouldn't be able to go the distance. Gotta get more than 1 inning out of your starter if your plan is to use Cortez for long-relief and have your offense win you the game (which they obviously didn't do).

Reactions: patdog

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Still baffling to me why he brought Cortez in that early in G2, knowing good and well he wouldn't be able to go the distance. Gotta get more than 1 inning out of your starter if your plan is to use Cortez for long-relief and have your offense win you the game (which they obviously didn't do).
Ehh.. tag the UT player at the plate and don’t swing at ball 4 and that passed ball in the 9th became the winning run.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I thought he pulled the game 2 starter early but he knows his players better than I do so maybe he wasn’t comfortable pushing his luck with him. And from what I’ve seen of Cortez he might not have been able to hit the backstop last night if they’d saved him so who knows.

Reactions: HuntDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login