Schnellenberger's Bronzed Boots are now a trophy...

patdog

May 28, 2007
that’s just sad. Even more of a stretch than the boot trophy they made up to try to make LSU vs Arkansas a rivalry game.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
that’s just sad. Even more of a stretch than the boot trophy they made up to try to make LSU vs Arkansas a rivalry game.
Why, those two teams would never play each other, otherwise?
He was huge at both schools. Well they might play, but he left his mark in both places.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's at least a real rivalry with a lot of history. Not anywhere near as big as it was 60 years ago though.
Eh. LSU overwhelmingly leads that series 64–41–4

By contrast, Ole Miss leads State 64–46–6 in the BFTGE— which is much more competitive and closer to the Rebels’ level of play…

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Boots or no boot man if he had stayed at UM how many titles are we thinking he would have won? I am going 5. Granted the NCAA hounds would have got them eventually for stuff that is perfectly fine today.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
It's already been mentioned in Twitter but I thought the Pipe would have been more apropos...

When I think of Schnellenberger and fashion accessories, I think about his Fat Boy Suspenders.
I had no idea he even wore cowboy boots. I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Sort of a hijack but I looked at HS’s Wikipedia page and this section was eye opening compared to when people talk about the decline of college football today. The difference in 1985 vs 2005 where they had 40,000 is pretty amazing.

In 1985, Schnellenberger returned to his hometown to coach another struggling program, the University of Louisville Cardinals. Schnellenberger inherited a situation that was as bad, if not worse, than what he'd inherited at Miami. The Cardinals had not had a winning season since 1978, and only two winning records in the previous 12 years. They played at Cardinal Stadium, a minor-league baseball stadium, and often hosted crowds so small that the school was forced to give tickets away. They also played in the long shadow of the school's powerful men's basketball team.[25] The situation was so grave at Louisville that officials were considering dropping the football program down to NCAA Division I-AA.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login