Scotty Hopson Interview

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
One and Done?
Come on to Starkville, doesn't sound like we will get him.

Yeah he would have to sit on the bench behind Randy & Hans...
Yeah Right...

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I wonder how he feels about having to sit on the bench until Randy and Ben graduate?

captaindawg

Feb 23, 2008
<span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"> Still sounds like it always has.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span> I still think we have a great shot when you look at the minutes he would be able to play next year and the number of guys he knows on the team and in his recruiting class.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span> He would be a perfect wing in our system.</span>

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
linky linky

scroll down on demling's blog for more info. sounds like he's taking his visits and taking his time. the further tennessee goes in the tourney, and the more exposure they get, it can't be good for us.

he would touch the ball EVERY TRIP on offense for us. maybe he could actually make that pass around the perimeter offense work... i think stans has us in the mix. he hasn't lost a prize recruit to another school before - this one would hurt.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
shape, or form. I will say this. He is one cocky SOB. He said he will be an impact player in the NBA.

jlat13

Nov 1, 2007
Hopson can shoot yes, but nowhere as good as Lofton. Hopson has the ability to get to the rim and score and drive and slash to the hoop. He has incredible hops, but does have a good looking shot. If I compared him to anyone on UT it would be Tyler Smith with a good 3 point shot. As shown earlier he's in a dunk contest, that only makes your comparison null and void.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
"MSU will suck in the future because <span style="text-decoration: underline;">no Gordon, no Hopson next year</span>."

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Who thinks that will happen? If you are referring to the previous thread, I still don't believe he will start as a freshman with Randy on the bench even if that is best case for the team. Rick doesn't like to play freshmens. He likes to waste them.

The ideal situation for us would be like what happened at Duke (I know, I know). Singler came in and needed to be on the floor. K called Jon Scheyer in and told him he wanted him to be the 6th man. Scheyer responded by having a great year and never complaining. If this is the way it works out for us, then that would be great. But if history tells us anything, it is that Hopson and Osby won't get near the playing time that many people think/hope/wish they will.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
While Stans usually wastes freshmens, Gordon led the team in minutes his freshman year. Granted, we didn't have much returning that year, but maybe Hopson would be a special case like Gordon was.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
because there was nobody ahead of him. He had to play. This wont be the case next season

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
DawgatAuburn wrote: _________________________________________________ Who thinks that will happen? If you are referring to the previous thread, I still don't believe he will start as a freshman with Randy on the bench even if that is best case for the team. Rick doesn't like to play freshmens. He likes to waste them.

Not even Stans is that dumb.
We have NEVER had a recruit this highly rated set foot in our locker room as a Bulldog.
If J-Money is gone, Hopson will start and lead us in scoring next year.</p>

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
ever had a McDonald's AA on his team. This won't be the case next season if we get Hopson. I think he plays big minutes if he comes here.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Mario Austin was a McDonald's AA.

If Hopson signs with us, he will start and play 30+ minutes per game. End of discussion.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
Austin played 17 minutes per game. That isn't close to Gordon's playing time as a freshman, but it's not wasting away on the bench, either.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Once again Hopson will not come here to sit on the bench. Hell there is a good chance he could be a one and done player. The fact that some of you think he wouldnt be starting from day one is crazy

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
We've never had a signee like Hopson make it to campus before under Stansbury. The closest case we have is Gordon, and that really isn't comparable. We can't base what Stans will do with Hopson on what he has done with other players.</p>

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I'm not saying he won't start from day 1. I am saying he won't start ahead of Randy. There are four starters returning and Rick has proven over and over and over that he will play the guys with experience over the freshmens with a few notable exceptions. Right now there is one open spot in the starting lineup, and we need it to be someone who can get a rebound.

The options for the one open spot are:
Hopson, if he comes
Osby
Ravern
Bailey
B Johnson
Bost, if we move Jamont to the 4, which won't happen either
Turner if we want to be really really small
Benock if we want to suck
Augustus, if he stays.

Ideally, Randy would take the move to the bench and know that his minutes will still be there, although I hope no one is averaging 36 per game next year.

PG: Gordon/Bost
SG: Ben/Randy
SF: Hopson/Ravern
PF: Bailey/Osby
C: JV/Johnson

Throw in Turner, Benock and Augustus and we have 13 guys fighting for minutes. Good problem, bad problem. Rick isn't going to play 13 guys. He didnt like playing more than five. When I look at it like this I am starting to think that if Hopson signs Turner, Benock and Augustus may all transfers out.

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
He didnt like playing more than five.
I think that has more to do with lack of depth than Stans preference. I mean what coach wouldn't want to have 5 guys ready to sub in and play at the same or close to the same level as the starters. I think we would have played 9 or 10 comfortably this year if the delks weren't babies.

When I look at it like this I am starting to think that if Hopson signs Turner, Benock and Augustus may all transfers out
I agree with Turner and Augustus, but I think Benock stays unless Rick ask him to leave. I think Turner is gone for sure. I mean Hans and Stewart are Jrs next year. If Gordon stays and we add hopson, Turner will never see the court, especially if Ravern continues to develop. In 2009, more than likely we add Smith to the SG. I just see Turner as a career role player off the bench and I don't think he will be up for that. Augustus may stay, but if Osby is the real deal, then Augustus may not see the court until after Brian Johnson leaves, which would make him a Jr.(if he didn't get to RS this year.) Basically, if we sign Hopson, then I think we are in for more transfers this year. I just hope they don't involve Hans or Stewart.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
The four most common categories of Coach34 posts:

1.) "MSU sucks now because _______________________________."
2.) "MSU will suck in the future because _______________________."
3.) "________<span style="text-decoration: underline;">(insert non-MSU player or team)</span>______ is so awesome."
4.) "I was kidding when I posted ____<span style="text-decoration: underline;">(insert incorrect prediction)</span>____."

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
he has already redshirted so he will lose a year of playing time if he transfers to any D1 school. He may choose to go to a lower division school though. Also, a lot of folks here are talking about Stans' not playing freshmen very much but didn't we just lose two sophomore starters last year (the Delks) primarily because they were losing so much playing time to a couple of freshmen (Hans and Stewart). Rick will play freshmen without any hesitation if he feels they are better than what he already has out there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login