Sean Payton heading to Broncos

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Why is it good for Saints fans?

Do coaches' salaries or compensation count toward the salary cap or allow for trading draft picks?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Do coaches' salaries or compensation count toward the salary cap or allow for trading draft picks?
Well, the Saints are getting something back from Denver in the deal...probably draft picks. They're working thru all that. But Payton can't just sign with the Broncos free and clear.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Looking like the saints will at least get a first rounder. Although I don’t think it was the first round pick Denver would have had (I think Seattle has that). I think it’s likely the first round pick miami would have had when they traded for Bradley Chubb. But that pick that Miami had is actually a first rounder from San Francisco. So I think a late first round pick.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
1st round pick this year and 2nd round next year.

trade those for a qb? Or draft a qb? Can pay him less money and then restructure late once cap hits have changed

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Because Payton was never coming back to the Saints, he’s joining an AFC team that they will rarely play, and him joining another team before the end of 2024 season allows the Saints to essentially get draft picks for nothing. A late 1st in 2023 and a 2nd rounder in 2024, as it turns out. That’s a great deal for New Orleans, and also a very necessary deal for Denver. They had absolutely no choice but to pull out all the stops to land a coach that could make it work with RW, and they did. Even without the draft capital from the Wilson and Payton trades, they certainly have a Super Bowl window over the next 1-2 seasons.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Me and a guy I work with were discussing this last week and I said no way Payton goes to Denver. He can get a better job. That team is trash. Guess I was wrong....lol

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I guess when Jerry decided to keep McCarthy he couldn't find a better deal. Better Denver than Houston at least.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Holy ****. No idea what SP sees in Denver. They have no picks and no cap space for the next two years. He could have sat out another year.

There were reports last week Payton wanted $20-25+ million a year in addition to the new team agreeing to trade significant picks to the Saints for him. Only logical explanation is Denver ponied up $25 million plus per year in hopes of SP being able to fix Wilson.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Payton must think Wilson just needs better coaching. Good luck with that.
Wilson has over 40k yards and over 300 passing touchdowns. I get he didn’t have a good season but I think it’s fair to put a good amount of that criticism on the coach that got fired before he finished the year. Wilson has also played in more super bowls than Payton coached in and in several less years.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Holy ****. No idea what SP sees in Denver. They have no picks and no cap space for the next two years. He could have sat out another year.

There were reports last week Payton wanted $20-25+ million a year in addition to the new team agreeing to trade significant picks to the Saints for him. Only logical explanation is Denver ponied up $25 million plus per year in hopes of SP being able to fix Wilson.

He probably sees that the roster is loaded, and a lot of the problems they had last year were from probably the worst coaching hire in NFL history. If he gets Wilson just back to 2021 form, they will challenge KC for the division and the AFC. Defense is one of the best in the NFL, great RB in Javonta Williams, Sutton and Jeudy are an extremely talented WR duo, and they have a great young TE in Greg Dulcich.

Hackett was the latest coach to fail according to the Adam Gase / Josh McDaniel rule. Never, ever hire an alleged “great offensive mind” who built his career as an OC from coaching an all-time Top 5 QB.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login