Seattle

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Upcoming opportunity to relocate to the Seattle area. Those who live in that area or are familiar with it , chime in. Looking for pro’s and con’s. Also, what areas in and around Seattle should I look at to purchase a home? Would like to be close to biking/ hiking trails, outdoor activity but not too far from the city. Mountain views would be a huge plus.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Upcoming opportunity to relocate to the Seattle area. Those who live in that area or are familiar with it , chime in. Looking for pro’s and con’s. Also, what areas in and around Seattle should I look at to purchase a home? Would like to be close to biking/ hiking trails, outdoor activity but not too far from the city. Mountain views would be a huge plus.
I've got kind of a perpetual offer and/or urge to move out there too, so I've looked into it. Just have not been able to pull the trigger, and don't plan on it until this crazy time passes. Seems like Auburn or Enumclaw would work for me, as my place of employment is not in Seattle Proper. But keep in mind, while people up there think Tacoma is a dump, it's likely very nice compared to your typical Southern **** city like Jacktown, Memphis or Murderham.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I go out there every year or two and visit family- they live in Kirkland which is a NE suburb. High home values, good quality of life, yada yada. Bellevue is just south of Kirkland and is also quite nice...it seems to have a centralize business district in addition to being a typical high level suburb.

If you dont have to live/work near the city, there are towns closer to outdoors activities that could be good. Everett is the far north part of the metro, Snohomish is NE metro, Snoqualmie is getting into the mountains east of the metro, and then there are commuter ferry towns to the west of the city like Bainbridge, Port Townsend, Bremerton, and many more.

That who region is full of outdoors activities. Where you set up shop is probably best determined by 1- what can you afford, 2- where do you have to work, 3- schools(assuming that matters), 4- nearby activities. There are multiple ski spots closer to Snoqualmie, for example. Hiking is everywhere- western islands, east metro, far east, etc. We have been on Lake Washington to paddleboard and kayak many times and both are pretty popular there(as well as further out of the metro). There is a ton of singletrack around the eastern suburbs, but that is all I know since we have stuck to that area for cycling. Road/gravel riding is not nearly as great as a bunch of other places I have been to, but the metro has a lot of cycling routes for what thats worth.

Mountains are big enough that you can see them from most anywhere in the metro.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I haven’t been to that side of the state yet but if you pull the trigger, let me know and we can have a football watch party in Wenatchee

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Budget means a lot on where to go. Mountain views are tough to find under $1.5-2 million. At least from your house. Those doug firs block it up. But from everything you describe, east side of the city sounds like what you are looking for..

Issaquah and Snohomish are nice.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Hope you make good bank. Just looked at a property there that was 1300 sq ft, 3 BR, 1 BA, over $1MM. It was old too. Nothing nice.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Yep, cost of living ain't no joke out here especially real estate. Although I'm a good bit north of Seattle proper, I spend a decent amount of time in the area. Awesome place and tons to do just expensive as 17. If it's biking/hiking trails you're looking for then you won't have to look far - they're everywhere. You'd be within a few hours of Olympic, Rainier and N. Cascades NPs besides all the other hidden gems.

I wouldn't worry about mountain views when it's cloudy 300+ days out of the year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login