SEC Academic Rankings - is this true?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Reactions: The Cooterpoot

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Who cares? Did you expect differently?

I've never seen anything that mattered less than academic rankings.
Politician Testimony GIF by GIPHY News

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
US News puts that shlock out yearly. It is based on endowments and enrollment predominantly.

If it's enrollment, why is Vanderbilt always on top with a relatively small enrollment.

Is the ranking for athletes only, the entire student body's academic performance, or a ranking of the school?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The mindset, work ethic and desire of the student especially after graduation is more important than the school they attend IMO.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If it's enrollment, why is Vanderbilt always on top with a relatively small enrollment.

Is the ranking for athletes only, the entire student body's academic performance, or a ranking of the school?
Perhaps not total enrollment, but rather acceptance rate since that directly ties to enrollment.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The mindset, work ethic and desire of the student especially after graduation is more important than the school they attend IMO.
Yes those are important. Whats also important is the opportunities afforded to some due to connections made based on where they attend college. Opportunities that dont even exist for strong students(maybe who are smarter too) at a less prestigious university.

I dont know how anyone can look at the field of higher education and claim where you attend college matters little.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yes those are important. Whats also important is the opportunities afforded to some due to connections made based on where they attend college. Opportunities that dont even exist for strong students(maybe who are smarter too) at a less prestigious university.

I dont know how anyone can look at the field of higher education and claim where you attend college matters little.
Didn't say it didn't matter at all and I'm sure a more well known school will open more doors in the beginning but once you get into the workforce, you still hafta continue to learn and work hard. Cream eventually rises to the top no matter where you went to school.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And now some of the prestigious schools are opting to not provide them info. Glad everyone is catching onto the scam.
Well, the more prestigious schools are opting out because they want more freedom to discriminate on race, primarily against asians and in favor of african americans and the rankings make it costly for them to do that. And that is basically the only useful function the rankings serve from a societal perspective, so it's not ideal that schools are opting out to prevent the rankings from performing that one useful function.

But the rankings are BS for a lot of reasons, primarily how perverse it is to measure educational institutions by how many people they exclude rather than how much educational improvement is achieved by the people that are not excluded. Public schools, particularly from a poor state like Mississippi, have to choose between trying to provide opportunities for as many qualified students as possible and gaming the metrics for rankings.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The best measure is the quality and quantity of companies who come to hire. From an engineering and accounting standpoint, we're okay. For the business school, it's pathetic.
Do business graduates usually go to work for big companies? Call me ignorant of that field.

I am encouraging my entrepreneurial son to get a business degree, so he can turn all his interests into money. Not to get into corporate America.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Do business graduates usually go to work for big companies? Call me ignorant of that field.

I am encouraging my entrepreneurial son to get a business degree, so he can turn all his interests into money. Not to get into corporate America.
I am not an entrepreneur, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would not advise your son to get a general business degree unless the goal is to get in and out of college as quickly as possible. Get an in demand degree that is useful (I would go accounting or finance if he has a business leaning) and if the entrepreneurial stuff doesn't work out, he's still in a good position to get a job. May not still be this way, but used to see a lot of people with general business degrees and marketing degrees applying for entry level jobs and still not be competitive.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I am not an entrepreneur, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would not advise your son to get a general business degree unless the goal is to get in and out of college as quickly as possible. Get an in demand degree that is useful (I would go accounting or finance if he has a business leaning) and if the entrepreneurial stuff doesn't work out, he's still in a good position to get a job. May not still be this way, but used to see a lot of people with general business degrees and marketing degrees applying for entry level jobs and still not be competitive.
This is correct. If he's interested in logistics and transportation he might consider Supply Chain Management as his major. It's an up and coming discipline that needs good people. The degree is available in the College of Business. General Business will get you a job but will not be in as much demand as accounting or finance.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
These rankings don’t necessarily mean a lot to MS kids that have always planned on attending MSU, I think they mean more to out of state kids looking at this and not knowing much about MSU. So they are important .

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Newsflash…..figuring out if the numbers are legit or even worthy of consideration is probably important before being overly concerned about where we stand.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Kind of hard to believe when we had the scholar athlete of the year in the SEC.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008

It's not pure enrollment numbers, but how many "higher" tier students. Others have posted about this, do some reading. :)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login