SEC announces 3 new ‘clocks,’ 10-run rule for baseball

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Some coaches better start getting in better shape. That mound visit clock might expire before they even get to the mound.

The pitching change clock seems a bit low as well. Pitchers will be sprinting to the mound to get more warm up time.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
Some coaches better start getting in better shape. That mound visit clock might expire before they even get to the mound.

The pitching change clock seems a bit low as well. Pitchers will be sprinting to the mound to get more warm up time.
Mound visit will definitely speed some coaches up! The change clock actually seems long to me, they've been warming up for a while in the bullpen. I've never understood why they need to be able to throw 46 pitches from the field after just leaving the bullpen

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
These may help, but I still think the biggest deal is just how long it takes for individual pitches. Somebody here posted a side by side comparison of a pitcher from probably the late 80s and early 90s and today, and it was crazy how different it was. Guy that put it together said they were both average for their time and he didn't cherry pick a fast and slow pitcher, but after watching current pitchers, it felt like the older pitcher was worried about finishing the game before happy hour. But he wasn't really doing anything but being deliberate and not pausing for a long time at any one step.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I guess losing by 10 is better than losing by 11 but you still got your *** whipped. You can overcome 10.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Mound visit will definitely speed some coaches up! The change clock actually seems long to me, they've been warming up for a while in the bullpen. I've never understood why they need to be able to throw 46 pitches from the field after just leaving the bullpen
I pitched from 8 yr old through high school. Warm up mounds were always really different from the on field mounds. I'm sure college bullpens are better than what I saw but throwing from the field was more about adjusting / getting comfortable on the in field mound than warming up. How high the rubber is, how hard the dirt is in front of the rubber, how the dirt moves when your stride foot lands, all of it can impact accuracy.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The 30 seconds between batters sounds pretty rushed too. Lets say an MSU batter grounds out and is thrown out at 1st. The way I'm reading it, "at the conclusion of the play "(batter gets thrown out) w/ in 10 seconds a new batter has to be in the box and the first pitch thrown when that clock hits 30 seconds. That doesn't give the former batter much time at all to run it out, turn around and hustle back to the dugout.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I envision instances where teams might 'gift' a run to end the game in certain situations.

I hate time wasting but I also hate seeing a timeless game turned into a timed event. Next thing you know we will have a time limit for the game itself. Also, regarding the time limit on mound visits, I thought we already had one that was enforced by blue trudging out to the mound to break it up.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The 30 seconds between batters sounds pretty rushed too. Lets say an MSU batter grounds out and is thrown out at 1st. The way I'm reading it, "at the conclusion of the play "(batter gets thrown out) w/ in 10 seconds a new batter has to be in the box and the first pitch thrown when that clock hits 30 seconds. That doesn't give the former batter much time at all to run it out, turn around and hustle back to the dugout.
Easy fix. Things getting too fast runner flops like a Lane Kiffen linebacker.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I guess losing by 10 is better than losing by 11 but you still got your *** whipped. You can overcome 10.
Would rather see 12-15 runs for a run rule. Seen too many times teams overcome 10 runs in 3 innings.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I envision instances where teams might 'gift' a run to end the game in certain situations.

I hate time wasting but I also hate seeing a timeless game turned into a timed event. Next thing you know we will have a time limit for the game itself. Also, regarding the time limit on mound visits, I thought we already had one that was enforced by blue trudging out to the mound to break it up.
The "timeless" game used to take about 2-1/2 hours to play. Now, if unchecked, it takes 3:15 and getting longer. That's a lot of wasted time.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Skip must have been on the rules committee

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Agree
Putting all these clocks/timers in play is stupid.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login