SEC baseball about to begin

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Good to have a sweep but Princeton is now 0-11. Our biggest win is against Tulane and we lost to them twice. Tulane just got swept at home by a team that doubled its number of wins this weekend in Nola. South Carolina is the only other SEC team with a less-than-impressive record heading into SEC play. Clark's hitting again. Hope it's contagious. We'll see.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Good to have a sweep but Princeton is now 0-11. Our biggest win is against Tulane and we lost to them twice. Tulane just got swept at home by a team that doubled its number of wins this weekend in Nola. South Carolina is the only other SEC team with a less-than-impressive record heading into SEC play. Clark's hitting again. Hope it's contagious. We'll see.

I've got a feeling this team is going to be much better as the season progresses. Still testing out a lot of possibilities and we're getting top effort from everybody we play.

It sure does you no good to whip our asses. LBSU lost 5 in a row (6 including us) after our series and Tulane loses the next 4, 3 to a seriously bad Evansville team this weekend. USM got swept by Dallas Baptist this weekend.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I've got a feeling this team is going to be much better as the season progresses. Still testing out a lot of possibilities and we're getting top effort from everybody we play.

It sure does you no good to whip our asses. LBSU lost 5 in a row (6 including us) after our series and Tulane loses the next 4, 3 to a seriously bad Evansville team this weekend. USM got swept by Dallas Baptist this weekend.

And teams.beating us and then crapping the bed certainly doesn't help our cause.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Going to be a tough year with all the pitching issues. Guys haven't stepped up at the plate or defensively either really. I think we see more moves this week.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Unless our bats get really hot really quickly, it’s going to be a long (or short depending on how you look at it) season.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
We will be fine. Our fan base is spoiled. Just because we were a top 8 seed last year doesn’t mean it’s our birthright. Win some games, get hot late and look out. We may or may not host but we would be a heck of a 2 if we are hot. It’s baseball….

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I hope I’m wrong but we will be lucky to win 12 games in SEC play.

O please. Some of you need to put up the cry faces and look back at what this program is all about. Every swinging dick knows this team will be playing its best baseball when it really matters. When is the last time that didn’t happen? I can’t even remember….

This will end up being an elite team at the plate with power up and down the lineup. We do need to get the pitching figured out though. Thankfully, at MSU we ALWAYS have pitchers step up when it counts.

It’s been a rough start no doubt, but nobody ever wants to come to our regional, or have us playing in their regional. Learn your history

patdog

May 28, 2007
Depends on what you mean by fine. Making a regional would be a good season for this team right now. The last decade, and especially the last 6 years, have been the best in our history. We're about to find out how everyone else lives.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
O please. Some of you need to put up the cry faces and look back at what this program is all about. Every swinging dick knows this team will be playing its best baseball when it really matters. When is the last time that didn’t happen? I can’t even remember….

This will end up being an elite team at the plate with power up and down the lineup. We do need to get the pitching figured out though. Thankfully, at MSU we ALWAYS have pitchers step up when it counts.

It’s been a rough start no doubt, but nobody ever wants to come to our regional, or have us playing in their regional. Learn your history

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

We have very limited pitching. We've lost our best starter and our closer. We've moved our best two pen guys to rotation, further thinning the pen. And that's without mentioning defensive and hitting issues. We might get hot with the bats, but we've got problems. We need Hunt back quick. He could potentially be big this season. Like Lemonis said, we need a lot of guys to step up.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Depends on what you mean by fine. Making a regional would be a good season for this team right now. The last decade, and especially the last 6 years, have been the best in our history. We're about to find out how everyone else lives.
We have “invested” more money than anyone else in the NCAA in the last 6 years in Baseball. It would be very disappointing if we returned to “how everyone else lives”.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Anyone else get a slight, slight glimmer of hope that Sims is still with the team? Simmons hasn't been since his injury - I think that suggests that he has had surgery and is recovering before rejoining. Sims hasn't missed anything. If you're a 1st round draft pick with a UCL tear, wouldn't you have the surgery ASAP given the recovery length? I know that's wishful thinking, but I'm holding out hope until I hear it from Lemonis.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Season is early. However, South Carolina taking the series against Texas is an early indicator that no series will be easy in the SEC - away or at home.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hate to break it to you, but 3 CWS, including a title, and 5 super regionals in 5 straight postseasons isn't the norm for us. We were going to take a bit of a step back this year anyway, and then injuries hit. It's gonna be a long spring.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We have a talented team. Early on they had their heads up their asses. They will get better and will probably peak when it matters.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
We have had about as rough a start to the season as we could have had both in W-L and injuries. The thing is even with the things that have happened we are WAY more talented than our record would indicate. I am not saying we are going to win the SEC but we are definitely going to compete better as the year progresses and I think we are beginning to see this take place. A hallmark of our program the last few years has been start slow and finish hot and I am trusting this season will follow that pattern. With what has happened to our pitching I don't expect to be in the hunt for a national seed but I still think we can compete for hosting a regional.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
2015 last place in the West with a 8-22 SEC record and 24-30 for the season

True but that was year 1 with the new low seam ball. Cohen got caught trying to play the old way with guys like like Ross Mitchell being low velo whiffle ball pitchers that suddenly became BP throwers. Our team ERA went from 3.00 in 2014 to 4.5 in 2015.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hate to break it to you, but 3 CWS, including a title, and 5 super regionals in 5 straight postseasons isn't the norm for us. We were going to take a bit of a step back this year anyway, and then injuries hit. It's gonna be a long spring.

Possibly. I am still thinking (hoping) we're going to be more like 2011 than 2015 though. We're certainly not elite and probably not going to host, but we'll be good enough that if we get hot, we'll at least be dangerous on the road in a regional. Not that I'm expecting a super regional. We have outperformed in regionals and probably can't expect that to continue. But if we are in the tournament in a snake bit year like this, hard to complain too much. The biggest thing now is that since we have been hit by the injury bug, we have to use this opportunity to develop younger players so that next year (I think the year people were expecting to be the drop off) is a step forward from this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think a 2011 type season is definitely attainable for this team. Make a regional and hope to get lucky.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
2015 last place in the West with a 8-22 SEC record and 24-30 for the season

Ironically we started that season sort of the opposite of this one - won something like our first 10 or 12 games. Then sucked balls in SEC play.

I never get too up or down on a team this early in the season. The early struggles are concerning but I think our hitting comes around. Losing Sims is a huge blow. I think we have too much talent to drop below 12 SEC wins but not enough pitching to win 18.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login