SEC Baseball Pitching Strategy

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I've often wondered if you are a team who doesn't have a true Friday night ace and will be, basically, aiming to to get to .500 in the league, why start your ace on Friday?

You will likely be the underdog 8 of 10 SEC "Fridays". Then, you put yourself in position to put your 2nd and 3rd best out there the rest of the weekend to match up with their 2nd and 3rd. At that point, you are no better than a 50/50 toss up on your pitching matchups in those games. So, if you are one of those teams trying to make a regional, you are essentially looking at 20%-50%-50%, at best, for the weekend.

If you throw out a weekday guy for game 1, how much less of a chance do you have to lose game 1. Not much. Then, you have your ace for Saturday and your number 2 for Sunday. That should put you at about 10%-75%-60% to win. I like those numbers a lot better as a whole.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not a fan of that. As someone who played baseball and other team sports, I’d be fairly pissed if I felt like the coach was not setting the lineup with the intention of giving us the best chance to win every game. I think something like what you described above would have a trickle down impact

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login