SEC basketball scheduling

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Is it better to play the tough games early? Upsets happen a lot at the start of the season and at the start of conference play.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When do the students come back? Do they not start next Monday the 8th? Holy crap, that's quite a Christmas break, all the way to Jan. 15th. We may have had that too, so this isn't an old man rant, I can't remember. Just seems like a long time.

And further, I realize that it costs money to live in college vs. at home, but I think by now I'd be ready to get back. Only so much you can do sitting at home. But I guess most folks have to DeEr HuNt, but those people aren't going to basketball games anyway.

I really wish we had a cool arena in the Jackson Metro where we could get some big crowds during the early season from time to time. I think that would be a slightly different type recrootin niche. Oh well, not happening anytime soon, unless Flowood can pull something off out north of the airport.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
When do the students come back? Do they not start next Monday the 8th? Holy crap, that's quite a Christmas break, all the way to Jan. 15th. We may have had that too, so this isn't an old man rant, I can't remember. Just seems like a long time.

And further, I realize that it costs money to live in college vs. at home, but I think by now I'd be ready to get back. Only so much you can do sitting at home. But I guess most folks have to DeEr HuNt, but those people aren't going to basketball games anyway.

I really wish we had a cool arena in the Jackson Metro where we could get some big crowds during the early season from time to time. I think that would be a slightly different type recrootin niche. Oh well, not happening anytime soon, unless Flowood can pull something off out north of the airport.
It’s been that way as long as I can remember. It was that way when I was there in the early 2000s. I know OM and State both offer winter intercession courses in that time period where you can take an accelerated course in a couple of weeks.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

You can’t deer hunt and watch basketball? That’s a new one

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You can’t deer hunt and watch basketball? That’s a new one
I’m talking in snarky generalities. Basically talking about the crowd that would miss MSU events to hunt, no questions asked. That group isn’t showing up for early games most likely.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I like Mississippi State Basketball. I have not watched a game State isn't playing in the past 5 years. When State sucks at it, I don't watch all of our games. I have no desire to watch Pro basketball ever. I have watched a ton of the Bowl games this year even with State not playing in them. I watch Dallas play strictly because if Dak. I used to watch every Saints game. When the young Mrs Benson decided to go cheap and promote Allen and not let the GM go after the best QB to replace Brees, I put up my Fleurdelis!

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I like Mississippi State Basketball. I have not watched a game State isn't playing in the past 5 years. When State sucks at it, I don't watch all of our games. I have no desire to watch Pro basketball ever. I have watched a ton of the Bowl games this year even with State not playing in them. I watch Dallas play strictly because if Dak. I used to watch every Saints game. When the young Mrs Benson decided to go cheap and promote Allen and not let the GM go after the best QB to replace Brees, I put up my Fleurdelis!
What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I expect a good number of students will be back by Jan 13, at least enough to fill the student section. Classes start back the 15th. The Tennessee game on the 10th might be sparse in the student section, so the old folks will have to pick up the slack. It’s a 6pm game at least, so you won’t get home too late if you live within a couple hours.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
It’s been that way as long as I can remember. It was that way when I was there in the early 2000s. I know OM and State both offer winter intercession courses in that time period where you can take an accelerated course in a couple of weeks.
The winter intersession has come and gone through the years. It's a money grab for MSU as those courses cost the students extra - pay by the credit. Since 2000 there have been many years where classes started before MLK day. Last year MSU classes had intersession and classes started after MLK day. In 21 - Jan 11, 20 - Jan 6., 19 - Jan 7, 18 - Jan 7, 17 - Jan 7.

For continuity of classes its much better to start after MLK day. Some semesters would start the week before MLK day only to come to a grinding halt with the Monday off. Mondays are a hard day to miss as many lectures and labs meet Mondays.

There should be a good amount of students back for the Bama game. Perry Cafeteria and the Union open back up on the 11th so I am guessing that is when the dorms open back up.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
episode 11 thank you for sharing GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We played Bama before the end of December last year (due to scheduling for the SEC-Big 12 challenge) and had a really good crowd on a Wednesday night.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login