SEC Championship Game tiebreaker rules

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I didn't see this discussed elsewhere, but I find the new tiebreaker rules interesting:
  1. Head-to-head competition between the tied teams.
  2. Record versus all common conference opponents among the tied teams.
  3. Record against highest (best) placed common opponent in the conference standings and proceeding through the standings among the tied teams.
  4. Cumulative conference winning percentage of all conference opponents among the tied teams.
  5. Capped relative scoring margin versus all conference opponents among the tied teams. Formula will include a cap of 42 points scored on offense and 48 points allowed on defense.
  6. Random draw of the tied teams.

I think they realized that with 16 teams, no divisions, and only 8 games, there could be some difficult ties to sort out. They included the margin of victory, which wasn't a criterion in previous years. Most ties will be solved by the time you get to #4, but it isn't impossible for it to come down to the margin of victory.

Imagine LSU and Missouri are tied for 2nd at 11-1, both losing to Alabama. That takes you to #4. LSU probably wins that tiebreaker (record of Ole Miss/Florida vs. record of Auburn/Mississippi State), but the same record is possible. It would then come down to a margin of victory comparison between LSU and Missouri for who plays in the championship game.

There should be no complaining about running up the score this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting. Caps for #5 seem a bit high. And probably should be margin vs the highest common opponent & work your way down similar to #3. But I agree, #3 & #4 should resolve most ties.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I figure in after next season they will have to go to nine games.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think personally that the playoff is going to be a mess with several fan bases pissed off. i would not be surprised if the two teams from each p4 that played in their championship games gets in. That's eight of the twelve teams. Then at least one G5 team. That's total of nine teams leaving three spots for a bunch of 10-win teams wanting in.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I figure in after next season they will have to go to nine games.
It will be interesting. SEC is trying to force ESPN to come up with more money for a 9th game. But I think the ESPN endless money supply is running dry. I think both sides want the 9th game (except the little 6 SEC schools who don’t matter anyway) & are waiting to see which one blinks and when. May be after next year of may be another couple of years.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I'm filing all of this under : Things I Will Never Need To Know.

I'm surprised margin of victory got in there, though. I wonder if the coaches had input?

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It will be interesting. SEC is trying to force ESPN to come up with more money for a 9th game. But I think the ESPN endless money supply is running dry. I think both sides want the 9th game (except the little 6 SEC schools who don’t matter anyway) & are waiting to see which one blinks and when. May be after next year of may be another couple of years.
I wonder with the ACC having 18 teams how many 10 win teams they will have.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Listening to Thunder and Lightning from earlier in the week, Brian has like Texas undefeated and Georgia, Tennessee and Ole Miss all at 11-1. That being a possibility makes me wish there had been a way to keep divisions or make a pod system that worked.
Logistically playing 7 division games is not reasonable- you would essentially have 2 distinct conferences as that point.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

It seems a bit late to be getting this out, although I guess it doesn't matter.

It's interesting that the tie-breaking rules include the following:
  • non-con record
  • analytics rating

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login