SEC Distribution...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This number does not include the additional $23M the league distributed to its schools last year to mitigate COVID-impacted financial losses.In all, SEC schools got about $77 million in distribution last year.Only 53 FBS schools have a *total* athletic budget of $77 million.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) February 10, 2022

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
But how many head football coaches can Auburn pay for with that distribution?

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
54.6 each this year that's 9 million more than last year's payout. (Not counting the covid money last year)

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
This number does not include the additional $23M the league distributed to its schools last year to mitigate COVID-impacted financial losses.In all, SEC schools got about $77 million in distribution last year.Only 53 FBS schools have a *total* athletic budget of $77 million.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) February 10, 2022

Important to note that the SEC distribution is only about half of the athletic budget. In 2020, our athletic budget was $110M and the SEC welfare check was $53M….rounding up. (Edited to add: I think this is SEC Network and bowl money combined.)

http://cafidatabase.org/fbs/sec/mississippi-state-university#!quicktabs-tab-where_the_money-1

Pretty interesting stuff here. By contrast, The Mustard Buzzard’s budget was $25.6M. I didn’t investigate if that included 2019’s games that they collected almost $3M in checks and losses, or if it was based on the COVID limited schedule. Either way, we are talking about orders of magnitude in difference.

You have to have certain things to run an athletic program (or a business.) Everyone does. Overhead, basic facilities, etc. Everything extra is why our facilities are constantly being upgraded and why there’s a crumbling concrete monstrosity on Hwy 49 right before Hardy St. They don’t have the money to do ANYTHING. ANYWHERE. ANYTIME.

Seriously, if their athletic department won a $77M NCAA lottery, the University general fund would become about $72M richer.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
How big a dog pile statue can we get with that money at The Dude’s entrance?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
MSU Football ranks 50th in recruiting budget. Where does all our money go? We are not paying much if any buyout money.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
In before the "time to leave the SEC" posts

Yes say no to 77M because we won't drop enough coin to recruits, coaches and facilities to compete for a football national championship. The starting price now for one 3 years away is over $100M/year for football only and you'll probably not even make the playoffs.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If they are not going to use that money to improve Davis Wade they might as well use it to lower ticket prices. I am on the fence this season.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Here's the question no one wants to ask: "When will this bubble burst?"

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If they are not going to use that money to improve Davis Wade they might as well use it to lower ticket prices. I am on the fence this season.
Yep. I’m out this year. I’ve been buying club level, parking passes, and RV passes for close to 20 years and I’m done. It wasn’t one single thing but an accumulation of things over the past few years. I’ve just decided that I can enjoy that money much more elsewhere.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Here's the question no one wants to ask: "When will this bubble burst?"

It’s not ever going to burst. It may level off at some point when enough people stop giving a **** about paying a $180 cable / streaming bill just to watch the same 5 or 6 teams compete for a title. But even then there’s still going to be money flowing in.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It'll happen with the college football players association successful wins in the court room.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
About the same time the graphics card bubble, crypto bubble and real estate bubble bursts. Don't hold your breath.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yep. I’m out this year. I’ve been buying club level, parking passes, and RV passes for close to 20 years and I’m done. It wasn’t one single thing but an accumulation of things over the past few years. I’ve just decided that I can enjoy that money much more elsewhere.

There are more and more figuring that out almost daily.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It’s not ever going to burst. It may level off at some point when enough people stop giving a **** about paying a $180 cable / streaming bill just to watch the same 5 or 6 teams compete for a title. But even then there’s still going to be money flowing in.

I'm dubious. All good things come to an end...and usually quicker than we'd like. After all, this is MSU we're talking about here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login