SEC Now last night said.......

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
that Joe Lunardi had us as one of the last 4 in. I was surprised at that. Thought we still had a lot of work to do. And of course we do. We have to play 3 of the hottest 4 teams in the SEC down the stretch. Two of them on the road. And even SC is playing pretty well. Feels like to me we need to win 3 of the last 4 and then win a couple in the SEC tourney to be sure. They also said this is with a record 8 SEC teams making the dance.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I wouldn’t call Mizzou one of the hottest teams in the league, they lost twice in pretty convincing fashion this week, including once at home. I actually like how we match up with them and right now I think we win that game on Tuesday.

A&M and Vandy are absolutely red hot and both will be extremely tough games.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You want to be in the second 4 in before all of the conference tournaments begin. We were one or two more players from being a really good team this season. Hopefully Selmon can put a charge in our NIL fundraising to recover from Cohen’s catastrophe.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
If we stay as one of the Last Four In we aren't making it. There will be at least 2-3, maybe 4 "bid stealers" when some 15-14 team wins a conference tourney they shouldn't have and gives that conference an extra bid. That'd bump us out. We need to win 3 of the last 4 and one in the SEC Tourney to be "safely" in heading into Selection Sunday. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot hoping for no conference tourney upsets.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We've absolutely got to win 3 of the last 4. I still think that gets us in, and I still think it is pretty unlikely.

Showing up and spanking a beatable Mizzou team would change that attitude some. I feel strongly that game is an absolute must win, just like yesterday was.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
that Joe Lunardi had us as one of the last 4 in. I was surprised at that. Thought we still had a lot of work to do. And of course we do. We have to play 3 of the hottest 4 teams in the SEC down the stretch. Two of them on the road. And even SC is playing pretty well. Feels like to me we need to win 3 of the last 4 and then win a couple in the SEC tourney to be sure. They also said this is with a record 8 SEC teams making the dance.
I love Jans and I love the way this team plays defense. But we can't afford another loss. It is what it is.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we stay as one of the Last Four In we aren't making it. There will be at least 2-3, maybe 4 "bid stealers" when some 15-14 team wins a conference tourney they shouldn't have and gives that conference an extra bid. That'd bump us out. We need to win 3 of the last 4 and one in the SEC Tourney to be "safely" in heading into Selection Sunday. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot hoping for no conference tourney upsets.
How many bids actually get stolen though. It seems like as often as not, if a surprise team wins a conference tournament, they just bump the last team from that conference out.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Stackhouse has saved his job this year with the way Vandy has improved. He starts getting good players to come there, they will turn into a powerhouse quickly. Even when the Dores were really bad, it was still hard to get a win there.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
How many bids actually get stolen though. It seems like as often as not, if a surprise team wins a conference tournament, they just bump the last team from that conference out.
It fluctuates from year to year. You want teams that are supposed to make the tournament by merit winning the auto bids.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I love Jans and I love the way this team plays defense. But we can't afford another loss. It is what it is.

21-10 with 2 quad 1 wins out of conference will get us in most likely. 3-1 finish gets us in. We needed 4-2 after the Arkansas win, and nothing has really changed since then.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
21-10 with 2 quad 1 wins out of conference will get us in most likely. 3-1 finish gets us in. We needed 4-2 after the Arkansas win, and nothing has really changed since then.

Yeah, nothing has changed since many here said we needed 6 of the last 8.

We've done half of that on schedule, even with the bumpy road

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
One of the bracket gurus last week said that the mid majors are as weak as they have been in over a decade so you won’t see near as many in the tourney as years past. We just need other Big 10, ACC, PAC 12 teams to play themselves off the bubble.

we didn’t do ourselves any favors losing at home. We basically gave our spot to Kentucky and now have to play in over someone else.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You can't just go by that. There are other factors. We can't afford any losses if the selection committee sees us where Lunardi sees us. Our threshold isn't "get to 21-10 with 2 quad 1 OOC wins." There are others we're competing with who have similar resumes. And as long as we're in that "last four in" conversation, we can always be bumped by conference tourney upsets.

You gotta win out to make it a no brainer. That's why I say we can't afford another loss. Unfortunately I think we'll have at least one.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You can't just go by that. There are other factors. We can't afford any losses if the selection committee sees us where Lunardi sees us. Our threshold isn't "get to 21-10 with 2 quad 1 OOC wins." There are others we're competing with who have similar resumes. And as long as we're in that "last four in" conversation, we can always be bumped by conference tourney upsets.

You gotta win out to make it a no brainer. That's why I say we can't afford another loss. Unfortunately I think we'll have at least one.

I guess your definition of “can’t afford” is different from mine. I would say we can’t afford two more losses, because that puts us in the “must win the SEC tournament” category. There’s a better than 50% chance we get in with a 3-1 finish, and I don’t at all think we’d still be “Last Four In” with that finish. Remember that it would guarantee us another Quad 1 win also. Is it 100%? No, but that possibility pretty much went out the window with the 1-7 SEC start.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We aren't winning 3 of those
I didn't think we would beat Ole Miss at home for several reasons but Jans and the guys did it in spite of what I thought. I think I will wait and see for the rest.

The next game is always the hardest but it really is @ Mizzu. aTm is playing excellent ball right now. We have never played well @ Vandy

Last edited:

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Not really. At least 2-3 happen a year. The teams that get bumped are the ones that are in the "Last 4 In" category.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
The 3/4 game in memorial will make the UPIG and UK games look well officiated.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
One of the bracket gurus last week said that the mid majors are as weak as they have been in over a decade so you won’t see near as many in the tourney as years past. We just need other Big 10, ACC, PAC 12 teams to play themselves off the bubble.

we didn’t do ourselves any favors losing at home. We basically gave our spot to Kentucky and now have to play in over someone else.
UNC and Clemson helped us out in that regard.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
At this point, I wouldn't worry about it until we are finished in the SEC tournament, unless we just go on a tear which I kind of doubt we will. We are right on the edge so if you chase the bubble every day, you might drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with who says where they think we are and whether we are in or out. Just wait till Conference Championship Sunday and get ready to probably be one of the ones who was close, but no cigar since the NCAA had two or three unexpected spots given to unexpected teams who won their conference tournament

• Sad
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't think it's just wins or loses. It could be what teams we have beaten are doing and teams we are up against in getting in are doing. Does anyone here really know what the committed is looking at. Are any of you experts? I don't worry about it. I can't control what happens. That's is how I have kept my insanity being a state fan.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It remains pretty simple.

Go 3-1 and I think we're 80%+ to make the tourney.

Go 2-2 and that chance drops precipitously.

Don't wear yourself out analyzing it.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It remains pretty simple.

Go 3-1 and I think we're 80%+ to make the tourney.

Go 2-2 and that chance drops precipitously.

Don't wear yourself out analyzing it.
Probably the correct take. Win tonight and we still need to win 2 of the last 3. Lose tonight and we may have to win out.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Unless the rules have changed, the only time a team that hasn't earned a bid during the regular season sneaks in via conference tourney hurts STATE is whether or not that conference also had another member that had already wrapped up a bid prior its tourney but happened not to win it which sends 2 teams instead of 1. And don't Net Ranking calculations include teams' Quad Records? I mean we're 43 now which does indeed have us walking a tight rope at present. When Lunardi says "STATE's Last 4 In", doesn't that mean he thinks we'll do what's needed to remain in the low 40's which would be sufficient to get an invite? Based on what my gut feeling odds are saying at the moment, tonight's game has switched to a Must Win.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Unless the rules have changed, the only time a team that hasn't earned a bid during the regular season sneaks in via conference tourney hurts STATE is whether or not that conference also had another member that had already wrapped up a bid prior its tourney but happened not to win it which sends 2 teams instead of 1. And don't Net Ranking calculations include teams' Quad Records? I mean we're 43 now which does indeed have us walking a tight rope at present. When Lunardi says "STATE's Last 4 In", doesn't that mean he thinks we'll do what's needed to remain in the low 40's which would be sufficient to get an invite? Based on what my gut feeling odds are saying at the moment, tonight's game has switched to a Must Win.

I don't think any of the remaining games are must wins until we lose one. Then all remaining games become must wins.

Tonight is actually probably on paper the most difficult game, as it's on the road against a solid team. A more solid team than the other road game vs. Vandy (who, yes, is hot, but so are we kinda).

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't think any of the remaining games are must wins until we lose one. Then all remaining games become must wins.

Tonight is actually probably on paper the most difficult game, as it's on the road against a solid team. A more solid team than the other road game vs. Vandy (who, yes, is hot, but so are we kinda).
Well Said on none become "must" till we lose one. I'm just thinkin' we may have a better chance tonight than A&M and @ Vandy.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Vandy is sort of hot but their 5 game streak is:
1 Ole Miss
2 a home buzzer beater win that their rival gift wrapped to them
3 at fading Florida (with Castleton)
4 South Carolina
5 Auburn who is terrible away from Neville Arena

Credit to them for winning all of them but if you are trying to be on a streak, that's a pretty good selection of teams to do it against.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login