SEC Tournament seeding possibilities

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
There's a clear line of demarcation in the SEC. Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, Auburn and Florida will be the top six seeds in the SEC Tournament in some order. No one else can get into that group. Four of those teams can get the double bye. All but Florida could claim a share of the SEC title and all but Florida and Auburn could be the top overall seed. Way too many scenarios to think about what could happen as of now. Maybe the midweek will clear it up some.

Seeds 7-10 will almost certainly be an SEC West reunion party. State, LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M currently hold those four spots. State and LSU are locked into that range - just a matter of what number. Ole Miss and A&M are 99% sure to be in there as well. The only way either of them fall out of that range is by losing twice while Arkansas and/or Georgia wins twice. Ole Miss and A&M play on Saturday, so one of those teams can't lose twice this week. Additionally, Arkansas has a road game at Bama on Saturday and UGA has one at Auburn, so it's unlikely either of them goes 2-0 this week. Thus, it's pretty safe to slot State, LSU, Ole Miss and A&M into those four seeds. As a reminder, the 7 seed and the 10 seed play on Thursday, as do the 8/9 seeds. Want a third shot at the Bears? An almost immediate rematch with A&M? Those are our two most likely opponents.

The 11-14 seeds play on Wednesday night in what is one of the saddest nights of basketball of the year. Not sad as in "I'll miss you" sad, but sad as in the quality of the teams. We've been there too many times, so I think you know what I mean. Missouri and VanderbiIt are locked in to playing that night, with Missouri having wrapped up last place already. Vandy would have to beat both Kentucky and Florida this week to be anything other than 13. Arkansas and UGA will fight it out for 11 and the right to stomp Missouri on Wednesday night. They are currently tied and split their two head to head matchups. I believe UGA holds the tiebreaker as of now.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We control our own destiny for the 7 seed, but can also clinch it on Wednesday with a win and an LSU loss.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
There's a lot that has to happen but there could possibly be a 5 way tie for first in the SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
-There's a lot that has to happen but there could possibly be a 5 way tie for first in the SEC.
I remember one year in the Bob Boyd era when there was a 5 or maybe even 6-way tie for first at 9-5 with 4 games remaining. We were one of the tied teams. Of course, we lost the next 4 to finish 9-9.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
We will play either the 1 seed or the 2 seed in the second round. I agree - I'd rather have Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky or Auburn. But we have to win the Thursday game first.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Well tonight did absolutely nothing to clear things up. We are now in a three way tie with LSU and A&M. And there’s multiple scenarios where we could end in a three way tie or even a four way tie involving Ole Miss.

The simplest part of it is this: if we win on Saturday, we will be the 7 if A&M loses and the 8 if A&M wins.

If we lose on Saturday it’s a big ole cluster you know what and a lot of other scenarios come into play.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Cleared the top up.

but minus tenn and the bottom 4, plus lsu and ole miss…. everyone has a lot riding on this Saturday To improve seeding or get their way into the dance…..Even UT does playing for a possible 1 seed.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Even the bottom has a shred of doubt. If UGA beats Auburn on Saturday ( I know, I know) and aTm beats Ole Miss, the Bears drop to 11.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I believe if we win and A&M wins we will play LSU in the 8 vs 9 game regardless of how they do against Mizzou.

If we win and A&M loses, we probably are playing A&M again in the 7 vs 10 game.

Like I said, not even gonna try to map out what happens if we lose.

Ole Miss-A&M and our game are at 1 and 1:30 respectively on Saturday, so by the time our game is over a lot should be much clearer. I’m going to assume LSU beats 0-17 Mizzou in Baton Rouge but you never know, I guess.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
We win/Ole Miss wins - we are 7 vs 10 TAMU
We win/Aggies win - we are 8 vs LSU
We lose/Ole Miss wins - we are 10 vs LSU unless they lose to MO in which case we would be 8 vs them as 9
We lose/Aggies win - we are 9 vs LSU unless they lose in which case we change to white jerseys and still play them in the 8/9 game

This also seems like a good time to remind everyone that conference standing is not something the tournament committee considers. Remember that last year Vandy was the 6 and we were the 9 and they went to the NIT.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We win/Ole Miss wins - we are 7 vs 10 TAMU
We win/Aggies win - we are 8 vs LSU
We lose/Ole Miss wins - we are 10 vs LSU unless they lose to MO in which case we would be 8 vs them as 9
We lose/Aggies win - we are 9 vs LSU unless they lose in which case we change to white jerseys and still play them in the 8/9 game

This also seems like a good time to remind everyone that conference standing is not something the tournament committee considers. Remember that last year Vandy was the 6 and we were the 9 and they went to the NIT.

Yeah I think there’s a strong case to be made that you’d rather be the 8 seed playing LSU than the 7 seed playing A&M (if you can beat SC).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login