SEC Tournament seeding possibilities

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Certainly it's more fun to talk about the bubble and seeding and KenPom and such, but the SEC Tournament is also looming in our future. Still lots to settle as far as seeding goes.

The easy ones:
Bama will be either 1 or 2. Almost certainly will be the 1. Just need to beat either Auburn or A&M this week or have A&M lose to Ole Miss.

Aggies will almost assuredly be the 2 seed. To be the 1 they have to win out while Bama loses out. To be the 3 they have to lose out while Kentucky wins out and takes the 2 spot.

On the other end of the spectrum, South Carolina, Ole Miss and LSU will be 12, 13 and 14 in some order. LSU is almost certain to be 14th. They lose tiebreakers with both South Carolina and Ole Miss and also lose a three way tie. Their only hope to move up is to win out while either USC or Ole Miss lose out. If South Carolina and Ole Miss end up tied, South Carolina wins the tiebreaker. The only impact there would be who wears white and who wears dark when they play in Nashville next Wednesday. Most likely this will be USC 12, Ole Miss 13 and LSU 14.

Then there is the murky middle.
Kentucky is almost certain to be the 3. Could be the 2 (see above). One win in their last two wraps up at least the 3. If they lose twice this week though, they drop to 11-7 and put themselves in a position to be passed by Tennessee. UK wins a tiebreaker with UT. Dropping two this week also opens them up to being tied with Missouri, Vandy and Auburn. They lost to Mizzou but beat Vandy and Auburn. Unlikely to happen. Kats are in great shape for a double bye.

Tennessee has work to do to earn a double bye. They host Arkansas and go to Auburn. If they split this week and finish 11-7, Missouri, Vandy, Auburn could also get to 11-7. Then it's tiebreaker time for two, three or four teams. If UT loses both games this week and those other teams split, they would all be 10-8. Arkansas could conceivably get to 10-8 and claim that 4 seed. Back to UT, I think they could finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th.

The three 9-7 teams (Missouri, Vandy and Auburn) could finish anywhere from 3rd to 10th. Missouri has LSU and Ole Miss this week. Vandy has Kentucky and us. Auburn has (gulp) Bama and Tennessee.

Arkansas is 8-8 and could climb as high as 4th but could fall as far as 10th. I think even if they lose their two games this week (at Tennessee, Kentucky at home), they would win tiebreakers to keep them out of 11th.

Florida and State could theoretically be 9-9 and work their way into a tie for fifth. Obviously we lose H2H tiebreakers with Auburn and Florida, but we would win a couple of them with Vandy and Arkansas if they get to 9-9. We would also win a two team tie with Missouri based off our win over A&M. The three and four way ties in this range are too numerous to count. We could also have a disaster of a week and end up 11th. Same for Florida if they lose twice this week (at UGA, host LSU) and we win at least one.

UGA could work themselves up to the 9th seed this week with a win or two and possibly some help. Worst case for them is 11th.

Personally I would like to get the 11 seed out of play as soon as possible. If we win tonight and Florida beats Georgia, then Georgia is locked in at 11. If we win tonight and UGA beats Florida, then we head into the weekend needing a win to ensure staying ahead of them. We of course are at Vandy. They will be at USC. If they win twice this week and we split our two, then we are likely to be the 11 seed.

We would lose a H2H tiebreaker to UGA at 8-10.
We would lose a three team tiebreaker with Georgia and Florida at 8-10.
We would lose a four team tiebreaker with Georgia, Florida and Arkansas at 8-10.
We would WIN a three team tiebreaker with Georgia and Arkansas at 8-10.

Got all that? There will be a quiz later today.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Last time I looked I found myself thinking we were pulling for Kentucky to go 2-0 this week. Would you say that’s still the case?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I would think so. It compresses the middle and enable us to move up if we handle business. Doesn't seem like it would cause any movement in our wins as far as which Quad they are in.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Right now we win the 3 way tiebreaker with Arkansas and Florida.

8. State
9. Arkansas
10. Florida

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
And the Hogs have to deal with Kentucky on Saturday. They are flirting with 8-10 and being the 10 seed.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
The top and bottom are pretty much set, but still a lot to decide on Saturday. I know that no one really cares about all of this, so the relevant part to State is bolded below. It's also possible I am miscalculating something, so if you see that, please point it out.

Bama is locked in as the 1 seed.
A&M has wrapped up the 2 seed.

UK can wrap up the 3 with a win at Arkansas but if they lose to the Hogs, they could be 3, 4, 5 or 6.

A UT win at Auburn would clinch at least the 4 seed. They could also be the 3 if UK loses. But if Auburn beats them they could slip out of the double bye and be the 5 seed.

Both Vandy and Missouri could get to 11-7 and end up in three way or four way ties with UT and or UK for seeds 3-6. Just one of them could be in that tie, or they could both lose. Mizzou wins all the head to head and group tiebreakers amongst that group (UK, UT and Vandy). Kentucky would be second in that group of four.

If one or both of Vandy and Mizzou lose and Auburn beats UT, then there is a two or three way tie at 10-8. If it's a two way tie for 6th, Auburn has the tiebreaker over Missouri but Vandy has it over Auburn. Three way tie goes to Mizzou as the 5, then Vandy 6, then Auburn as 7.

If Auburn loses to UT then they are 7th. They would be 9-9 but would have all head to head and group tiebreakers over Arkansas, Florida and us.

That means Florida, Arkansas and us will slot into 8, 9 and 10 in some order. If we win, we are in the 8-9 game for sure. In a three way tie at 9-9 or 8-10, we would be 8th, Hogs 9th and Florida 10th. Two way ties at 9-9 don't matter because both would be in the 8-9 game. For the record, we would be 8th over Hogs, Hogs would be 8 over Florida, and Florida would be 8 over us.

If we lose, we are the 10 seed if the other two both win, or if Arkansas wins and Florida loses (to LSU).
If we lose, Florida wins and Arkansas also loses, then we are 9th.

So we could be in the 8/9 game playing either Florida or Arkansas, or we could be in the 7/10 game playing Auburn, Missouri or Vandy.

Personally I hope we win and Florida wins while Arkansas loses. That would have us playing Florida at noon on Thursday. If we win and Florida loses, then we would be playing Arkansas no matter what the Hogs do.

8/9 winner plays Bama on Friday. 7/10 winner plays A&M.

South Carolina and Ole Miss still have to settle the 12 and 13 spots. They will play on Wednesday night regardless. The only way Ole Miss is the 12 is if they beat Mizzou and South Carolina loses to Georgia.

Georgia is 10 and LSU is locked into 14th so they will also face off on Wednesday night.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If Mizzou beats Ole Miss as expected then I think that locks them into the 5 seed, Vandy into the 6 seed, and Auburn into the 7 seed. So if we’re in the 7/10 game then most likely it’s against Auburn. State has the potential to be a massively important bubble game should we both lose Saturday and then have to face off on Thursday.

I don’t mind playing Arkansas because their NET is so high that a loss shouldn’t hurt us and a win would be another high quality win. But I also understand the appeal of playing Florida.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If Mizzou beats Ole Miss as expected then I think that locks them into the 5 seed, Vandy into the 6 seed, and Auburn into the 7 seed. So if we’re in the 7/10 game then most likely it’s against Auburn. State has the potential to be a massively important bubble game should we both lose Saturday and then have to face off on Thursday.

I don’t mind playing Arkansas because their NET is so high that a loss shouldn’t hurt us and a win would be another high quality win. But I also understand the appeal of playing Florida.
If Mizzou wins and is 11-7, they could end up as high as 3. If Kentucky and UT both lose and also finish 11-7, Mizzou wins that three way tiebreaker and would be the 3 seed. Same if you throw Vandy into that mix and make it a four way tie. Mizzou beat all three of those teams.

If Mizzou wins they are no worse than 5th but could be 3rd.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If Mizzou wins and is 11-7, they could end up as high as 3. If Kentucky and UT both lose and also finish 11-7, Mizzou wins that three way tiebreaker and would be the 3 seed. Same if you throw Vandy into that mix and make it a four way tie. Mizzou beat all three of those teams.

If Mizzou wins they are no worse than 5th but could be 3rd.
Ah, I didn’t even consider the top of the league because it’s not relevant to us.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
8/9 to play Bama! We need that win!
Lots of other Quad 1 opportunities without picking out the biggest kid on the block!

On neutral courts, Bama, A&M, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn and Missouri are all Q1 games. Mizzou is close to being Q2 right now but if we play them none of that will matter because it will be Saturday or Sunday and both of us will be locked into the field.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login