SEC upping the ante on punishment for storming the field

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I don't see how you can punish the school and team like that. How do they expect 20 security guards to keep 50,000 people from storming the field? Short of putting a 10' fence around the playing field I don't see how it's possible. It's not like after a big win the head coach gets on the PA system and says to everybody to get their asses down here and tear down the goalposts. The school isn't encouraging it so how can they be held responsible for it.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It would be if we didn't live in such a litigious society. Somebody is going to eventually sue the śhit out of the SEC after getting trampled.

I remember being at the bottom of the goal post when we beat Florida in 2000. Me and another guy were in the front row and had to be the first two to get to the goal post. We locked arms around the bottom of the post and every Justin boot wearing, shitkicker in the bleachers proceeded to use my nuts as the first and my face as the second step to crossbar glory. I have no idea how long it took for that goalpost to come down, but it felt like eternity. I learned a valuable rule that day, when in the swarming mob, do not stop. That mass of humanity pushing on us made me understand how people get trampled to death and every time a field is swarmed I pee a little remembering that day.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's not a little excessive, it's a lot excessive. Sankey stacked that "committee." I'm betting there were a lot of 2-1 votes before they came out with that ridiculous recommendation. It'll be a 2-14 vote when it gets to the full conference.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
This rule is unfair to teams that never trigger a field-storming when they get beat. Any real that can only really benefit Alabama and Georgia (maybe LSU or Florida) is a bad rule.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Not going to get worked up until, it is passed by the Presidents and Chancelors.

I think it is a bit extreme, and carries over to all sports. Do it in football, and the basketball, etc.

Reactions: Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
sounds extreme until you get down to the bottom where it says they considered forfeiture of the game that was stormed....that was shot down, but the fact that it was talked shows you how serious they are.....

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see how you can punish the school and team like that. How do they expect 20 security guards to keep 50,000 people from storming the field? Short of putting a 10' fence around the playing field I don't see how it's possible. It's not like after a big win the head coach gets on the PA system and says to everybody to get their asses down here and tear down the goalposts. The school isn't encouraging it so how can they be held responsible for it.
I’m not in support of these extreme measures, but universities can easily stop it if they truly want to. It always starts with the students lining up on the edge ready to jump as the clock runs out. Concentrating security there would stop it as well as a preseason threat of expulsion if caught entering the field of play. Also would have to have a policy where non-students are banned from athletic events if caught running on the field. Considering the financial hit on a college town if an SEC home game is taken away, schools will invest in security measures.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Has a coach or player ever gotten hurt with fans storming the field? Not rhetorical. Really curious.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
How do they expect 20 security guards to keep 50,000 people from storming the field?
They don't. I think they're admitting there is no way for security to keep fans off the field so they're looking for anything that would make people think twice about rushing the field.

Obviously the $100K fine hasn't worked. I mean.. that's like trying to convince a 21 year old kid with a thousand bucks in his pocket that the $20 lap dance is too expensive.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I’m not in support of these extreme measures, but universities can easily stop it if they truly want to. It always starts with the students lining up on the edge ready to jump as the clock runs out. Concentrating security there would stop it as well as a preseason threat of expulsion if caught entering the field of play. Also would have to have a policy where non-students are banned from athletic events if caught running on the field. Considering the financial hit on a college town if an SEC home game is taken away, schools will invest in security measures.
Just playing devil's advocate.. you don't support extreme measures but you'd be in favor of expelling kids from school for doing something the universities are barely trying to prevent? And you'd like to ban FUTURE students from all athletic events? ....those seem pretty extreme.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Has a coach or player ever gotten hurt with fans storming the field? Not rhetorical. Really curious.

Spurrier claimed a water boy was hurt in 2000.

ETA: He claimed it after he drubbed us 52-0 in the Swamp in 01.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Just playing devil's advocate.. you don't support extreme measures but you'd be in favor of expelling kids from school for doing something the universities are barely trying to prevent? And you'd like to ban FUTURE students from all athletic events? ....those seem pretty extreme.
I don’t support the proposed punishment. Just saying that there are extreme measures to prevent the extreme punishment if it goes through. Larry Templeton must’ve come up with this one. He loves giving away home games.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This will never happen because the school can't control the fans like that. Lawyers would have a field day.
Lawyers won't have any more to say than if your country club passes a rule that you can't drive carts on the fairway and then fines you when you do.

The SEC is a private organization. If membership votes yes on it then voila.. it's a rule.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It does sound extreme, but to be fair, the paltry fine money doesn't really matter and hasn't been a deterrent.

How much more do you fine the schools? $50K? $100K? $250K? $500K? You could go up to a million and it wouldn't matter, because:
1. It's not the student body or the Joe Randofans actually storming the field that will be paying that fine.
2. There's at least a few wise-*** cigar boys in each fanbase that will and have come out of pocket to pay it.
3. Even if it comes from the athletic budget of an SEC school, with the new ESPN contract, the fines the league would levy would be a pittance.

Now, if you take away the ability for the student body or Joe Randofan to watch a game in their home stadium, then they at least have some incentive and a reason to stay off the field.

The one interim "warning" step I would suggest they mull over would be an empty stadium game where they force the "offending" team to play their next home game against that opponent in an empty stadium.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's not a little excessive, it's a lot excessive. Sankey stacked that "committee." I'm betting there were a lot of 2-1 votes before they came out with that ridiculous recommendation. It'll be a 2-14 vote when it gets to the full conference.
I'm going to bet the Kentucky AD went along with the Bama and Georgia AD's. Beating Kentucky in men's basketball actually meant something not that long ago and they were the rushee a few times.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Losing a home game seems draconian, but at some point a fanbase needs to understand the consequences of their selfishness and just be happy in the stands.

- Up the penalty to $2MM and have each school announce the new fee before the start of each game and at halftime. Have the money go to pre-approved charitable associations within each community.
- Eliminate fans from the next home game(mentioned already).

The financial penalty wont initially stop storming the field, but it will definitely make news and help show how hurtful it is for fans to be selfish. Maybe in time that will help reduce incidents.
The loss of in person attendance and revenue will hurt everyone and again, maybe that news will help show how hurtful it is for fans to be selfish.

As a 20 year old? Yeah the planets orbit around you as you are the most important thing in the universe and your immediate joy is all that matters. So storming the field is obviously the only reasonable action after a team wins an upset.
As any adult with a fully developed frontal lobe? 17ing be happy and celebrate in the stands since that is where you belong as a fan. You did nothing to win the game and you dont deserve to be on the field.

Maybe harsher penalties will help the 20 year olds and the man childs to remember their place...in the stands.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Spurrier claimed a water boy was hurt in 2000.

ETA: He claimed it after he drubbed us 52-0 in the Swamp in 01.
I think he just claimed the waterboy was beat up and I think that was actually a legit claim. Not sure if a drunken fan really just randomly assaulted him, or if the water boy assaulted the fan and then got his *** kicked, or if it was something like an inadvertent collision that one or the other thought was intentional and it led to punches. But I think there was an altercation and the fan was taken off the field in handcuffs.

ETA: There have been serious injuries from goal posts. I think all the goal posts may collapse now?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I think he just claimed the waterboy was beat up and I think that was actually a legit claim. Not sure if a drunken fan really just randomly assaulted him, or if the water boy assaulted the fan and then got his *** kicked, or if it was something like an inadvertent collision that one or the other thought was intentional and it led to punches. But I think there was an altercation and the fan was taken off the field in handcuffs.

Damn. I thought it was just something he made up to justify runnin' up the score. Waterboy probably had it comin', though, right?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My understanding is that the fan made a claim regarding the quality of gatorade and/or the waterboy's mama.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login