SEC West 2009 - looking ahead

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Never to early to look ahead, right? Before anyone starts, I know winning the West is not the ultimate goal, but you gotta admit, it is fun to look at the standings and see us at the top.

Here is who everyone loses next year, with a couple of possible losses.

Alabama - Riley and two guys who played a total of 7 games; Hendrix is up in the air; Steele could return but how effective is he after two years of injuries?

Arkansas - Ervin, Thomas, Townes, Hill, Hunter, Weems; decimated; Beverley at 12 ppg is the best returner; the only others who got any time this year were Welsh (5 ppg) and Washington (4 ppg); could be a long year for Pelphrey

Auburn - Tolbert, Prowell and a walkon; Barber is back as either a junior or senior depending on the redshirt; Miaway and Dollard presumably return, but I have learned not to count on anything;

Ole Miss - Smith, Parnell, Curtis, Williams; last year they lost all their guards, this year it's most of their post players

LSU - Mason is all they lose; Do Randolph or Thornton or both go to the NBA? Who will the coach be? LSU should be top half of the division next year if both players return, along with Tasmin Mitchell.

State - Rhodes and Begley; Gordon? Transfers?

Obviously this does not include freshmens or JUCOs, but it's a decent barometer of what everyone has coming back. Should we not lose Gordon, I think we will be right in the mix next year with LSU. If Hendrix comes back and Steele is near what he was before the injuries, Bama could be in the battle too. I think UM, Arkansas and Auburn are the bottom half, but the bottom half will be a lot tougher next year than it was this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login