Second scrimmage intel (sorta)

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
According to the State-run Dear Ol' State podcast, here are some nuggets from the Saturday scrimmage:

• The offense had the upper hand in the beginning of the scrimmage.
  • The defense rallied and played well in the back half of the scrimmage.
  • Both kickers (Ferrie and Barr-Mira) traded made field goals between 35-45 yards. They made quite a few in a row without misses.
  • Johnnie Daniels had a 35 yd TD run.
  • Keyvone Lee had a couple TD rushes. Had physical runs to pick up extra yards.
  • The offense takes deep shots.
  • Jeff Pittman had big yard runs in the first scrimmage.
  • The OL did a better job pre-snap this scrimmage.
  • Kevin Coleman had a 50 yard pass reception from Shapen.
  • Chris Parson had a couple 20+ yd pass completions - to walk-on Kade Kolka.
  • Shapen had a 20-somthing yard run for a TD.
  • Mario Craver continues to make waves as a Fr WR.
  • Brylan Lanier and Isaac Smith had a good scrimmage
  • Stone Blanton was the lead tackler
  • Dontery Russell, Isaac Smith, Bryce Pollack, Jennings, Cyrus Reyus had sacks.
  • Russell also had some TFLs
This is coming from Joel Coleman and Logan Lowery (employed by Mississippi State), so take it with a grain of salt.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Its about time for the coach speak to begin..............

"The defense is a little ahead of the offense" (if we hear otherwise its definitely going to be a long year)
"The players are getting tired of just hitting each other and are ready to play"
"Its hard to name starters now because they have all been getting after it"
"The young guys have been picking things up quickly"
"Proud of the leadership being shown by the older guys"

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
According to the State-run Dear Ol' State podcast, here are some nuggets from the Saturday scrimmage:

• The offense had the upper hand in the beginning of the scrimmage.
  • The defense rallied and played well in the back half of the scrimmage.
  • Both kickers (Ferrie and Barr-Mira) traded made field goals between 35-45 yards. They made quite a few in a row without misses.
  • Johnnie Daniels had a 35 yd TD run.
  • Keyvone Lee had a couple TD rushes. Had physical runs to pick up extra yards.
  • The offense takes deep shots.
  • Jeff Pittman had big yard runs in the first scrimmage.
  • The OL did a better job pre-snap this scrimmage.
  • Kevin Coleman had a 50 yard pass reception from Shapen.
  • Chris Parson had a couple 20+ yd pass completions - to walk-on Kade Kolka.
  • Shapen had a 20-somthing yard run for a TD.
  • Mario Craver continues to make waves as a Fr WR.
  • Brylan Lanier and Isaac Smith had a good scrimmage
  • Stone Blanton was the lead tackler
  • Dontery Russell, Isaac Smith, Bryce Pollack, Jennings, Cyrus Reyus had sacks.
  • Russell also had some TFLs
This is coming from Joel Coleman and Logan Lowery (employed by Mississippi State), so take it with a grain of salt.
Do Joel and/or Logan get more access to watch scrimmages than other media? Question for @RobbieFaulk or @Brian Hadad or @PaulJones?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Well, my understanding from reading SPS is that our defense is going to be absolute drek this year, so our offensive line must be really terrible if it's allowing sacks and TFLs.
Most of the guys getting sacks were down the depth chart going against back-ups.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Man, it's awesome to have actual news about something related to the upcoming football season. Thanks for that

On the same note, though, I did slightly change my perspective on this after listening to T&L earlier. As annoying as it is to receive so little communication about the team, we're living in a day and age where d-bag coaches like Kiffin have armies of tampering coaches chomping at the bit for any news about who they can call and convince to come to Oxford next season. If I was a head coach having to constantly deal with this BS, I'd be hesitant to say much about my team either

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He isn’t wrong. We have yet to lose a game this year
Are you saying that we're like vajayjay?
Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Feels like D will be boom or bust. I’m expecting Hutzler to either be a Manny Diaz type find or Peter Sirmon. No in between.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I really hope we have a damn good FG kicker this year that is up for the Lou Groza in late November. I really hope our Red Zone TD’s to number of opportunities is around 85%
We do this and have an average D and we can get to 6 wins easily and outside shot at 7 with some luck.

patdog

May 28, 2007
we're living in a day and age where d-bag coaches like Kiffin have armies of tampering coaches chomping at the bit for any news about who they can call and convince to come to Oxford next season. If I was a head coach having to constantly deal with this BS, I'd be hesitant to say much about my team either
This is exactly why a lot of coaches came out against playing a real game vs another team instead of a spring game. Don’t want to let other schools scout their players.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I really hope we have a damn good FG kicker this year that is up for the Lou Groza in late November. I really hope our Red Zone TD’s to number of opportunities is around 85%
We do this and have an average D and we can get to 6 wins easily and outside shot at 7 with some luck.
Fingers Crossed Optimism GIF by Motherboard

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Man, it's awesome to have actual news about something related to the upcoming football season. Thanks for that

On the same note, though, I did slightly change my perspective on this after listening to T&L earlier. As annoying as it is to receive so little communication about the team, we're living in a day and age where d-bag coaches like Kiffin have armies of tampering coaches chomping at the bit for any news about who they can call and convince to come to Oxford next season. If I was a head coach having to constantly deal with this BS, I'd be hesitant to say much about my team either
Yeah I can remember freshman getting a lot of camp buzz, but not much PT because the starters were good players themselves. I could see SEC teams trolling camp reports for young guys to tamper with these days.

ETA: we need to put Mario Craver on lock down.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login