Selmon has to show the fans he cares………

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I wouldn’t count on it. Our administration is paralyzed. They have no clue.

Reactions: patdog

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Selmon needs permission from his boss to fire the guy his boss shouldn't have hired in the first place. Don't be a stubborn *** hole, Keenum. Let's go through a proper search and hire a decent G5 HC at minimum.
No need for a search firm. Here are guys that fit our profile that are damn good coaches and we could get everyone of em with enough money.

Liepold KU
Chadwell LU
Fisch Ariz
Kill NM ST

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
No need for a search firm. Here are guys that fit our profile that are damn good coaches and we could get everyone of em with enough money.

Liepold KU
Chadwell LU
Fisch Ariz
Kill NM ST
That is a really good list for starters at least.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Took too long to switch to a better qb. Taking an Arnett team to OT is not proving you can coach.
Ok. So that’s your bar. Never mind his program was in the absolute toilet when he took over. Nope. According to you, no growing pains allowed.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
We need a list of what we need. Sounds stupid but we need to think about everything we want from the next staff, then the right people wI’ll be easier to identify
Starts with the head guy. Get your direction from there. BUT at an institutional level we need to commit to assistants salaries, NIL, facilities, marketing, the whole show. Buy in from top to bottom regardless of cost.
That’s when you win.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It's absolutely true. What planet do you live on? No AD at any SEC institution has that absolute power:
They are the director of athletics. Their job is to be the decision makers for all things athletics. There are certainly occasions where they could be overruled by the university President, but that would be almost always limited to situations with massive financial implications such as buy outs. Most presidents are from academia and may love their school’s sports teams, but athletics are not a major part of their day to day.

Athletic directors are hired to make these decisions plain and simple.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
They are the director of athletics. Their job is to be the decision makers for all things athletics. There are certainly occasions where they could be overruled by the university President, but that would be almost always limited to situations with massive financial implications such as buy outs. Most presidents are from academia and may love their school’s sports teams, but athletics are not a major part of their day to day.

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

Generally you don't get to fire people that your boss directly hired without permission from your boss. That's just how it works in coaching, business, academia, wherever. If Selmon fires ZA, it's be Keenum blessed it. I wish Selmon had autonomy in making the decision bc it would be a no brainer for him but overriding egos/pride/stubbornness may get in the way in this particular situation unfortunately.

That's just me assuming the worst. I hope Keenum is a reasonable person willing to let better judgment prevail. The ego thing is very real thing at that level of the food chain though...

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Generally you don't get to fire people that your boss directly hired without permission from your boss. That's just how it works in coaching, business, academia, wherever. If Selmon fires ZA, it's be Keenum blessed it. I wish Selmon had autonomy in making the decision bc it would be a no brainer for him but overriding egos/pride/stubbornness may get in the way in this particular situation unfortunately.
That ends thanksgiving night

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, we are in a very unique situation that is a bit tricky. Response was to the statement that no ADs solely have the power to fire a HC.

Reactions: ckDOG

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Can Arnett tomorrow! Name Tony Hughes interim. He will be held over by whoever we hire. Start the search now!
You typically are at the bottom of my list of 6 Pack posters that I will interact with, but tonight, we find common ground.
We need a list of what we need. Sounds stupid but we need to think about everything we want from the next staff, then the right people wI’ll be easier to identify
You REALLY need to define who "WE'" is. Are you talking about you and 6Pack, you and Keenum, you and Selmon and Keenum, Bracky and you (heaven forbid), you and the so called " Cigar Boys" who don't seem to do a very good job, or do you have a rat in your pocket when you say we? Just wondering...

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Ha. What a joke. First dude is such a short timer, he doesn't even wear the garb. I think he is wearing some recycled OU garbage.

second, what's it matter if they fire Arnett now? Nothing. Isn't like "fans" will show for USM or even OM. Arnett or No Arnett... the care will be zero for the egg and om May out number msu fans in DWS.

Screw it. Leave him for the *** beating on thanksgiving and move on Black Friday.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You typically are at the bottom of my list of 6 Pack posters that I will interact with, but tonight, we find common ground.

You REALLY need to define who "WE'" is. Are you talking about you and 6Pack, you and Keenum, you and Selmon and Keenum, Bracky and you (heaven forbid), you and the so called " Cigar Boys" who don't seem to do a very good job, or do you have a rat in your pocket when you say we? Just wondering...
We doesn't include me. We is supposed to be MSU.

Last edited:

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Ok. So that’s your bar. Never mind his program was in the absolute toilet when he took over. Nope. According to you, no growing pains allowed.

It might take him a while to get this. He only realized tonight that a purge was needed

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t see where firing him now or firing him the day after the Egg Bowl makes a difference. More than likely things are in motion already behind the scenes sending feelers out to coaches so canning him now does nothing.

Reactions: Maroon13 and PBRME

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Exactly. The only positive thing of firing him today is that we as fans would know change was coming. Those of us with more than 46 brain cells realize it is needed but if you have followed State for over 40 years you know nothing is certain. I'm always concerned about the administration doing nothing as the program burns to the ground. Considering the contract they gave Arnept I feel like they were being careful to provide an easy exit ramp

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

The school president doesn't make that decision on his own either.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020
It's 8:10 am the day after getting butt kicked by KENTUCKY at homecoming and it's as quiet as church mouse in the MSU athletics platform. There will be no change, no statement, no comments from ADM. We are adrift.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I would have Arnett's replacement ready to go BEFORE I fired Arnett. These protracted nationwide coach searches haven't gone so well for us.

Reactions: vandaldawg

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

Yea this may be true on paper, but that's not how it works in reality. If you think the AD can make that decision without approval from the president, you just aren't being realistic. There's a reason the football coach makes substantially more money than the AD.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Pray tell who all is making the decision then? I'm not talking about giving input, but making the final call.
The president probably has the technical authority to make the final call without being overruled. But they just aren't going to do it without buy in from the board of trustees and big athletic donors.

Reactions: Dawg1976 and L4Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login