Serious question

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I used to call it a button up because of Jay Z but my younger brother told me to stop doing that and call it a button down

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
When I was a kid I called it a button up because that's what my mom called it.

Today I call that a dress shirt.

I don't have any button up shirts, but I do have some casual, work around the house button downs. Most of those are flannel. Some are camo. Worn a lot instead of a coat or jacket.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I thought button-down referred specifically to button-down collars.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Aug 31, 2012
Threw away any shirts with buttons belts, and long pants when I retired and moved south .
I can no longer attend weddings or funerals anymore

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
WTF's wrong with y'all?....It has nothing to do with the buttons on your shirt. It refers to the collar....Does your dress shirt have a buttoned down collar or are you wearing a dress shirt with a nonbuttoned down collar. If not buttoned down then you have several options on collars....tab collar, spread collar, medium spread collar, club collar....etc. 🤦‍♂️

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
WTF's wrong with y'all?....It has nothing to do with the buttons on your shirt. It refers to the collar....Does your dress shirt have a buttoned down collar or are you wearing a dress shirt with a nonbuttoned down collar. If not buttoned down then you have several options on collars....spread collar, medium collar, club collar....etc. 🤦‍♂️
Somebody works at the Rogue.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
When referring to a dress shirt, do you call it a button-up or a button-down?
I always thought a button-down is a kind of dress shirt. That is the dress shirt with little buttonholes on the tips of the collar that button down to the small buttons under the collar.

Screenshot_20231010-220817.png

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
WTF's wrong with y'all?....It has nothing to do with the buttons on your shirt. It refers to the collar....Does your dress shirt have a buttoned down collar or are you wearing a dress shirt with a nonbuttoned down collar. If not buttoned down then you have several options on collars....tab collar, spread collar, medium spread collar, club collar....etc. 🤦‍♂️
I wrote my response before I got down this far. I can't believe I had to go down this far. This is why you can't argue with people because they don't know things and do all that talking instead of looking it up. It's not like you don't have the entire knowledge base of mankind right at your finger tips.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Dress Shirt: Buttons in the front. Nice quality. Worn with a suit or slacks.
Button Down Shirt: May or may not be dress shirt quality. Buttons in the front. Gets name from button holes in the tips of the collars.
Button Up Shirt: Walmart shirt with buttons in the front.

Next, we need to discuss why notched lapels are a no-no with tuxedos.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's called a flannel. If you own a long sleeve shirt with buttons on it, it dåmn well better be made of flannel. Otherwise you're basically wearing a blouse.

Embarrassed Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Reactions: stateu1

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Top down. What kind of sicko starts at the bottom?
I'm sorry, but the great time management expert, Frank Gilbreth, said you can save as much as 2 seconds getting dressed by going bottom up.

You can see the bottom button easily, and you are unlikely to button it in the wrong hole. When you get to the top button you are already looking in the mirror and can make any necessary adjustments.

I've got bottom up since learning that as a child. That's why I have time to waste on sports message boards.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wrote my response before I got down this far. I can't believe I had to go down this far. This is why you can't argue with people because they don't know things and do all that talking instead of looking it up. It's not like you don't have the entire knowledge base of mankind right at your finger tips.
Are you using your pron machine to look up information? Gross...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login