Seriously underestimated

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The quality of the players we lost from this D. Obviously I knew Forbes is a once in a decade or more talent that you just don't replace. I thought Wheat was really good but figured we had a guy that could replicate his play or at least get real close. The 2 DL guys and the safeties I figured to be not that impressive Good but we sign replacements every year. No big deal. Totally incorrect. Totally. We got nothing. Thank goodness for the guys that returned. Just imagine. We ARE in a world of SH*T

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
The quality of the players we lost from this D. Obviously I knew Forbes is a once in a decade or more talent that you just don't replace. I thought Wheat was really good but figured we had a guy that could replicate his play or at least get real close. The 2 DL guys and the safeties I figured to be not that impressive Good but we sign replacements every year. No big deal. Totally incorrect. Totally. We got nothing. Thank goodness for the guys that returned. Just imagine. We ARE in a world of SH*T
It’s the consequence of Leach’s overall recruiting. Get more talented at receiver and QB. Get less talented everywhere else. I’m sure Arnett had a lot to do with it as well…I mean I would imagine it would take a little bit for a New Mexican to culturally fit in and relate.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
It’s the consequence of Leach’s overall recruiting. Get more talented at receiver and QB. Get less talented everywhere else. I’m sure Arnett had a lot to do with it as well…I mean I would imagine it would take a little bit for a New Mexican to culturally fit in and relate.
Not to mention, we've been recruiting OL for pass blocking and they've been conditioned to a wide spread blocking scheme. They've had to change all of that this year. Still no excuses but it is a big transition.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
But has the recruitment on the defensive side of the ball been that bad? Just looking through the rankings it hasn’t been.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I remember in Arnett’s first year that our defensive talent was supposed to be a joke. Walk on starting safety. He did well with what he had. Agree that we lost major talents, but on paper this defense is more talented than what we had a few years ago when he started. At least, I think. I didn’t go back and look at recruiting rankings or anything

kired

Aug 22, 2008
9 and 91 have combined for 1/2 sack and 2 tfl. We can’t get pressure from the edge and that’s a major problem. Both 4 star recruits. We’ve got other “4 star” recruits that can’t find the field other than special teams after 2-3 years.

Apparently we suck at development or these guys were overrated

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Not to mention, we've been recruiting OL for pass blocking and they've been conditioned to a wide spread blocking scheme. They've had to change all of that this year. Still no excuses but it is a big transition.
And a ton of those recruits aren't even here anymore. They couldn't play at all here.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
I tried to tell people we lost a LOT of defense. Still no excuse to be this bad though. Part of it is coaching, but a lot is just talent and lack of speed.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I tried to tell people we lost a LOT of defense. Still no excuse to be this bad though. Part of it is coaching, but a lot is just talent and lack of speed.
Doesn’t help that several of the guys up front that we were hearing good things about preseason have been injured and haven’t seen the field yet. Who knows when/if we get them back.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I expected growing pains on offense. Not on defense at all. Figured they would be salty. Then the coaches were talking about how well the offensive transition was going and all the best players crap so I started to think maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Apparently the defense sucked so bad the coaches assumed this offense was coming along pretty good. And next year is gonna be way worse im afraid. I don't see how it could improve

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I expected growing pains on offense. Not on defense at all. Figured they would be salty. Then the coaches were talking about how well the offensive transition was going and all the best players crap so I started to think maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Apparently the defense sucked so bad the coaches assumed this offense was coming along pretty good. And next year is gonna be way worse im afraid. I don't see how it could improve
We are losing a lot after this year…

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
what if instead of signing Goede, Spivey and Roberson they brought in edge rushers and secondary help like Arizona did out of the portal ? Jackie Matthews and Charlton were portal additions that really helped the defense, same could have been done for this season.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well we have a lot skill players not seeing much acting either. Some of those spots could have been used on the front 7. Not many air raid minded coaches have ever had much of a good defense. Look at usc right now. Several of leaches staff ended up there. The defense is god awful. 4 years since leach came our defense. The air raid guys just do not recruit defense to keep it up

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login