Setting up for a great November

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Feeling really optimistic about this bye week.
I believe in this coaching staff and this team's will to win.
Four games and we've got a chance in all of them.
We get the number one team in the country at our place and we have a chance to win our first SEC road game against our rival who's November is going to suck starting the last weekend of October.
I'm not saying it's gonna happen... but it can happen.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Feeling really optimistic about this bye week.
I believe in this coaching staff and this team's will to win.
Four games and we've got a chance in all of them.
We get the number one team in the country at our place and we have a chance to win our first SEC road game against our rival who's November is going to suck starting the last weekend of October.
I'm not saying it's gonna happen... but it can happen.
AWL I SEE IS 3 WINS*********
($1)

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
If you can't be satisfied with 8-4 season with Bama & GA on the schedule then you may be pulling for the wrong program.
Like it or not 8-4 would be a tiny step forward. Better season record over last year, same SEC record as last year but with revenge on Arkansas and UM, and the non-con teams taken care of handily. They gotta get it done though.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Like it or not 8-4 would be a tiny step forward. Better season record over last year, same SEC record as last year but with revenge on Arkansas and UM, and the non-con teams taken care of handily. They gotta get it done though.

💯
7-5 is disappointing and 6-6 is a disaster

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
^^^ This

The problem I have right now is that neither Leach nor this team have given me any reason whatsoever to believe that we can get it done on the road in the Egg Bowl, but if they do accomplish that after knocking off Auburn as well, you have to be happy with that season.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
^^^ This

The problem I have right now is that neither Leach nor this team have given me any reason whatsoever to believe that we can get it done on the road in the Egg Bowl, but if they do accomplish that after knocking off Auburn as well, you have to be happy with that season.

Don’t look now, but we haven’t won in Oxford against an OM team that finished with a .500 or better record in a quarter century (1998). Lost in 2000, 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2020. We also haven’t won at all against such an OM team since 2013, lost at home to them in 2015, 2017, and 2021. We did get a win over them in 2016 in Oxford to keep them under .500, but we’ve had a big problem beating anything other than dumpster fire OM teams for quite awhile now.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Nope. 7-5 is expected, 6-6 is a disappointment, 5-7 is a disaster, 8-4 would be a dream come true with this years schedule.
My preseason pick was 6-6, maybe 7-5, with our schedule, and we are +1 from what I picked. I picked us to lose to A&M (preseason). I have us at 2-2 out, but I can see us doing better. In that last game, we match up pretty well (yeah, that game). If we withstand the opening rush they try to put on everyone, we have a shot.

Look at the LSU game. They came out on fire but lost steam.

If we can. get healthier in November while our opponents keep losing players, we could really surprise people, starting with me.

Sorry y'all bought C34's 10-win prediction preseason that subtly set up Coach Leach to lose. Not the first time he has pulled that one out of his baseball cap.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
^^^ This

I like the matchup with UM but there is always the potential for this team to crap the bed for whatever reason. The blasé attitude towards opponents isn’t panning out as we would like so far. I like the idea of the team only competing against itself but that has the potential to blow up in their face when they assume the opponent is better. I don’t necessarily think Ole Miss is better but I don’t know how the players look at them.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I like the matchup with UM but there is always the potential for this team to crap the bed for whatever reason. The blasé attitude towards opponents isn’t panning out as we would like so far. I like the idea of the team only competing against itself but that has the potential to blow up in their face when they assume the opponent is better. I don’t necessarily think Ole Miss is better but I don’t know how the players look at them.
So anytime we lose a game it’s because we crapped the bed? All three of our losses are on the road against top 20 teams, and we were leading or within three points in the fourth quarter in two of them. 8-4 is still very much on the table, which would be a very good season with the tough schedule we have.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
8-4 would be fantastic record considering we got UGA on our schedule rather than Vandy or Missouri. How much did it cost UM to get Vandy as a perm opponent?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
History is the best teacher.

Tis true. And history says when MSU football plays a good (7+ win) caliber SEC team on the road, we lose 90-95% of the time….even when we have really good teams. 2021 A&M, 2015 Arkansas, and 2014 LSU are about the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head, and none of those teams were anything special.

Unfortunately, all 4 of our SEC road games are against those types of opponents this year. Any road win this year or home win over UGA should be considered a bonus. Expectation baseline is 7-5. Next year’s schedule is much more manageable.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
With all the starters we had returning, I was thinking 9-3 or maybe 10-2. Those who predicted 6-6 or 7-5 are in need of medication. I'm dissapointed with the LSU & KY games as I thought we coulda done better and didn't play up to our ability. I think the refs screwed us at the bamer game and impacted the way we played. It is HIGH time we invaded Oxfart and beat them when they are not a total shat team. Not counting on the UGA game since we are totally unable to score on talented well coached D's. Tsun is NOT a talented well coached defensive team so I'm predicting we get our 8th win there. Based on the way both teams have played YTD, We should be able to outscore them. I think overall, our D is better than theirs especially red zone D. I think we will be able to mix up our O better than they will be able to do since we have the better passer. We are not as weak as they are stopping the run. Tsun's game tomorrow is a 50/50 game IMO and I think they lose big to Bamer and lose on the road to Pig. If that happens and we roll into Oxfart 7-4, we may even be favored.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
So anytime we lose a game it’s because we crapped the bed? All three of our losses are on the road against top 20 teams, and we were leading or within three points in the fourth quarter in two of them. 8-4 is still very much on the table, which would be a very good season with the tough schedule we have.
Yes, losing a close game in the fourth quarter is crapping the bed. Especially if first down drops,TD drops, and missed kicks are a factor. That tells me the scheme put them into position to win and players failed to finish. Against Bama they blew at least three possessions deep in Bama territory. That doesn’t mean they will blow it again though. I think this team is better than three of their final four opponents.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
With all the starters we had returning, I was thinking 9-3 or maybe 10-2. Those who predicted 6-6 or 7-5 are in need of medication. I'm dissapointed with the LSU & KY games as I thought we coulda done better and didn't play up to our ability. I think the refs screwed us at the bamer game and impacted the way we played. It is HIGH time we invaded Oxfart and beat them when they are not a total shat team. Not counting on the UGA game since we are totally unable to score on talented well coached D's. Tsun is NOT a talented well coached defensive team so I'm predicting we get our 8th win there. Based on the way both teams have played YTD, We should be able to outscore them. I think overall, our D is better than theirs especially red zone D. I think we will be able to mix up our O better than they will be able to do since we have the better passer. We are not as weak as they are stopping the run. Tsun's game tomorrow is a 50/50 game IMO and I think they lose big to Bamer and lose on the road to Pig. If that happens and we roll into Oxfart 7-4, we may even be favored.
No way we are favored in the OM game in Oxford even if they have lost three in a row (which they may). Their roster and coaching staff is better on paper and its a home game and we haven't competed well against them in the Leach era.
that said, WE CAN WIN!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
No way we are favored in the OM game in Oxford even if they have lost three in a row (which they may). Their roster and coaching staff is better on paper and its a home game and we haven't competed well against them in the Leach era.
that said, WE CAN WIN!
Tsun is ranked 15th yet are only 1.5 favorites against Jimbo's Locker Room Weed Smokers.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I’m not counting on AU being a sure victory now.
I did 3 weeks ago but AU is playing better, (running the ball) and they have a mobile QB now.
Won’t be an easy W if we get it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I’m not counting on AU being a sure victory now.
I did 3 weeks ago but AU is playing better, (running the ball) and they have a mobile QB now.
Won’t be an easy W if we get it.
Ain't buying AU. Just because they played @ tsun tight, the week before they were blown out 42-10 @ UGA. Tulsa, who sucks too played @ tsun tight. I think Pig will whip @ AU tomorrow.

Reactions: patdog

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Nope. 7-5 is expected, 6-6 is a disappointment, 5-7 is a disaster, 8-4 would be a dream come true with this years schedule.
This year's schedule isn't nearly as difficult as it appeared it would be at the start of the year. Outside of Alabama, Georgia, and LSU no one is very good. Ole Miss and Kentucky won't end the year ranked nearly as high as projected and A&M is going to be 6-6 or 7-5. Arkansas is very average and Auburn is a complete dumpster fire. We should go 8-4 with 18 returning starters. If we don't Leach has failed.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
This year's schedule isn't nearly as difficult as it appeared it would be at the start of the year. Outside of Alabama, Georgia, and LSU no one is very good. Ole Miss and Kentucky won't end the year ranked nearly as high as projected and A&M is going to be 6-6 or 7-5. Arkansas is very average and Auburn is a complete dumpster fire. We should go 8-4 with 18 returning starters. If we don't Leach has failed.
Ah, the old “no one is any good” defense. It’s infallible. Doesn’t matter how many games we win, the teams we beat “aren’t any good” so it invalidated them. That way, you can never be wrong about a coach.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Ah, the old “no one is any good” defense. It’s infallible. Doesn’t matter how many games we win, the teams we beat “aren’t any good” so it invalidated them. That way, you can never be wrong about a coach.
Ah, the old “our schedule is too tough to expect anything over mediocrity” defense. It’s infaliable. Doesn’t matter that literally every team I’ve mentioned is going to win less games than they were projected to win preseason and one of the teams we played had a 3rd string quarterback playing against us and 2 more are in so much turmoil that their coaches are looking at getting fired. Everyone we play is so amazing that we should be damn greatful to win 7 games with 18 17’ing returning starters and a 3rd year quarterback. That way, you never have to be wrong about a coach.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Ah, the old “our schedule is too tough to expect anything over mediocrity” defense. It’s infaliable. Doesn’t matter that literally every team I’ve mentioned is going to win less games than they were projected to win preseason and one of the teams we played had a 3rd string quarterback playing against us and 2 more are in so much turmoil that their coaches are looking at getting fired. Everyone we play is so amazing that we should be damn greatful to win 7 games with 18 17’ing returning starters and a 3rd year quarterback. That way, you never have to be wrong about a coach.
You probably love Dan Mullen and Jackie Sherrill. Each of them only had one season where they won more than 8 regular season games. 8-4 with a chance to go 9-4 in a bowl game would be a great season. It’s on the upper end of what we’ve done historically.

Reactions: Omnichannel

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I agree that less than 8-4 at this juncture would be a failure considering the 18 returning starters but A&M, Pig and Barn still have SEC Talent. KY is not that bad of a team IMO. Gotta feeling somebody outside the SEC will win the Natty this year. Wouldn't be shocked if MI and OH State make the final 4.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
You probably love Dan Mullen and Jackie Sherrill. Each of them only had one season where they won more than 8 regular season games. 8-4 with a chance to go 9-4 in a bowl game would be a great season. It’s on the upper end of what we’ve done historically.
You have to capitalize when you have veteran teams. Jackie had the budget similar to a cusa school when he was our coach. You are comparing apples to oranges. Not to mention, he played 1 less game per year during his time here. Winning less than 8 games with a veteran team is just not good enough. Our in state rivals don’t accept that, but we have fans that think we should be grateful for going to a bowl game. I’m not under any illusion that we should be competing for national titles, but going 7-5 with a squad that is supposed to be one of our better teams is not good. Period.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I agree that less than 8-4 at this juncture would be a failure considering the 18 returning starters but A&M, Pig and Barn still have SEC Talent. KY is not that bad of a team IMO. Gotta feeling somebody outside the SEC will win the Natty this year. Wouldn't be shocked if MI and OH State make the final 4.
We’ll see soon enough but I don’t think anyone can stop that TN offense. I’d love to see a shootout between them and Ohio State.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You have to capitalize when you have veteran teams. Jackie had the budget similar to a cusa school when he was our coach. You are comparing apples to oranges. Not to mention, he played 1 less game per year during his time here. Winning less than 8 games with a veteran team is just not good enough. Our in state rivals don’t accept that, but we have fans that think we should be grateful for going to a bowl game. I’m not under any illusion that we should be competing for national titles, but going 7-5 with a squad that is supposed to be one of our better teams is not good. Period.
JWS didn't play as tough of a SEC Schedule as Mullen and Leach. But you are correct in that tsun expects and demands more than STATE which is unacceptable. Whenever we win back to back egg bowls combined with tsun sucking both years, they go into "by any means neccessary" mode. They understand much better than we do regarding the ramifications of losing ground to your instate rival. We are however in a tough situation considering we can't fire a coach when we're playing .500 SEC ball. Tsun had good teams Leach's 1st two years but they were not unbeatable for us but I'm also thinking this bear team is more beatable than the previous 2. Leach shat the bed a few times so far this year and now it's time he wiped his A$$ and beat AU & tsun. A 3rd in a row egg bowl loss will demonstrate a pattern developing that should not be tolerated and should put his A$$ on the hotseat.

Last edited:

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
We’ve been watching different teams apparently. We struggle to score on the road, so based on what we’ve seen, State isn’t out scoring OM in Oxford, unless the D puts up a near perfect performance.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We’ve been watching different teams apparently. We struggle to score on the road, so based on what we’ve seen, State isn’t out scoring OM in Oxford, unless the D puts up a near perfect performance.
Road Shmoad. Tsun's D is weaker than A&M's & Pig's and ain't nearly as good as LSU's, KY's or Bamer's.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
The crazy thing is that up until this point, Leach teams have played well on the road. I don’t know what happened this year. You would think with a veteran team we would be ok on the road but we got worse.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login