Severe Weather Briefing for Wednesday Event.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The HRRR is really dishing out a significant tornado threat for eastern Arkansas with some weakening by the time it makes the river. Still a straight line wind threat too.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The HRRR is really dishing out a significant tornado threat for eastern Arkansas with some weakening by the time it makes the river. Still a straight line wind threat too.

I'm not sure it weakens much as it crosses the river. All depends on how fast we get this morning precip out of the area. SPC actually used the term loaded gun sounding this morning in their discussion. Anxiously awaiting their update at 8:00am. I'm looking at staging around Leland by lunch/early afternoon and going from there.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not sure it weakens much as it crosses the river. All depends on how fast we get this morning precip out of the area. SPC actually used the term loaded gun sounding this morning in their discussion. Anxiously awaiting their update at 8:00am. I'm looking at staging around Leland by lunch/early afternoon and going from there.

I am no professional. But I think we can expect one or two supercells mid afternoon that could drop a violent tornado somewhere in the delta on either side of the river....then we're going to get a bunch of messy convection in the lead up to the QLCS. Definitely a high end threat for a couple of super cells, and definitely a wind/hail/small spinup threat with the QLCS, but I'm not seeing "outbreak" like the wording suggests. I pray to God I'm not wrong about this. As I type, convection has moved out of DeSoto County earlier than expected, and the sun is out. Not a good start.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
8:00am SPC update said they considered a high risk but decided against it for now. Next update around 11:00.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is some differing opinions this morning about whether all the previous activity will clear out in time to allow discrete cells to form and spawn violent tornadoes. I can see a line on satellite from Columbus to Arkansas of clearing skies. Watch out if skies do clear and help prime the atmosphere in northern Mississippi

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If skies clear then I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump to high risk. This is potentially a dangerous set up.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
There is some differing opinions this morning about whether all the previous activity will clear out in time to allow discrete cells to form and spawn violent tornadoes. I can see a line on satellite from Columbus to Arkansas of clearing skies. Watch out if skies do clear and help prime the atmosphere in northern Mississippi

Currently there's convection moving into the Memphis metro with some additional messy stuff moving this way from the southwest. If this holds up, there's a good chance this beats up the atmosphere pretty good and tamps down the severe threat for later.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If it helps, last night that big wave that came through Jackson last night was looking pretty bad on radar while it was in Louisiana. Hit the river and calmed down.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah these lines of showers and storms keep reforming over the Delta and Memphis metro. Hopefully that keeps the atmosphere mixed up and a little more stable by this afternoon.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
For us weather dummies who don't know SPC from STD, can someone boil this down in English? Do I need to get in my closet under the stairs or not???? And if so, what time?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah these lines of showers and storms keep reforming over the Delta and Memphis metro. Hopefully that keeps the atmosphere mixed up and a little more stable by this afternoon.

I've seen a couple of future radar scans that show clear skies from now thru about 2:30, with a supercell forming just SE of Memphis metro and moving through the area in the 2:30/3:00 window, ahead of the squall line. Watching the convection coming out of Arkansas, it looks like it's fizzling out at the river. I guess that cap is doing its job - for now. It's gonna be a lot more interesting later.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
For us weather dummies who don't know SPC from STD, can someone boil this down in English? Do I need to get in my closet under the stairs or not???? And if so, what time?

SPC is Storm Prediction Center

Timing will depend on where your closet under the stairs reside. The storms should approach the river around noon to early afternoon and be clear of the state a little after midnight. My video above gives a rough timing estimate.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

And here is the sounding for DeSoto county, approx 10:00 AM.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/mode...9.9586&lat=34.9205&metar=&st=a1a14edc3b5cc474

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Looking at the MidSouth observations, it’s mostly sunny now just about everywhere. Not good.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Chase mode now activated. Pointing the old dodge west. Posting will now become limited and even more so once it kicks off. Live stream will be up later this afternoon for those of you that might be one of our Patreon supporters at the all access premiere level and above.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Chase mode now activated. Pointing the old dodge west. Posting will now become limited and even more so once it kicks off. Live stream will be up later this afternoon for those of you that might be one of our Patreon supporters at the all access premiere level and above.

Where are you heading?

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Bring it. You'll just have to choose between camping under the stairs with the wife and kids, or sitting on the back porch sipping football water with me as per usual during a storm.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Hopefully everybody stayed safe and had no damage yesterday, although damage reports were pretty widespread. Fortunately, we did not get the tornadoes yesterday that were anticipated. The overnight and early morning rain stabilized the atmosphere to the point it just wasn't able to reload to the level needed to pull off a tornado outbreak. I was on several storms yesterday I thought had a chance to go tornadic, but just couldn't quite pull it off. Some might say I drove 500 miles yesterday for nothing, but I'd do it again today if storms were in the area. Just wish diesel wasn't so damn expensive.

As for looking down the road there are a couple of low end severe chances this Friday and Saturday, but after that things may move into a more stable pattern for a few days. Very odd for this time of year so we will see if that holds.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We got almost 4 inches out of that yesterday. I would love to see a more stable pattern because we need to get started planting and haven’t done anything yet.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login