Severe weather looking likely Monday noght

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Severe weather, with all modes possible, looking likely for Monday night into Tuesday morning. Right now, central and south MS looking to see the best chance where an upgrade to an enhanced threat is expected tonight.

Detailed write up below. For those on FB, please like, share, and maybe even leave a comment on this post. It helps us get a little bit more of Zuckerburg's money and is free for you. However, those feeling especially generous, you can go to www.NMSCAS.org and donate to our non-profit which helps us fund our community outreach programs and continue to do our crazy storm chaser stuff.

Reactions: Puppers

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Severe weather, with all modes possible, looking likely for Monday night into Tuesday morning. Right now, central and south MS looking to see the best chance where an upgrade to an enhanced threat is expected tonight.

Detailed write up below. For those on FB, please like, share, and maybe even leave a comment on this post. It helps us get a little bit more of Zuckerburg's money and is free for you. However, those feeling especially generous, you can go to www.NMSCAS.org and donate to our non-profit which helps us fund our community outreach programs and continue to do our crazy storm chaser stuff.

I saw that. The real threat a little west of you, but this has been a really quiet year. I am not complaining, but it has been really quiet.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I saw that. The real threat a little west of you, but this has been a really quiet year. I am not complaining, but it has been really quiet.
From some of the ag weather guys I follow I think the next couple of weeks may be pretty active and then it might calm down a little

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
From some of the ag weather guys I follow I think the next couple of weeks may be pretty active and then it might calm down a little
Our typical spring season usually cranks up about this time of year and peaks late April before ending mid-May. Last two years have been anomalous in that they were most active February and March and quieted down in April. To be determined if this is going to be a quiet year or just one starting more in line with normal.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the Rolling Fork, Silver City, Winona, Amory tornado. That was a night that will haunt me forever. I'll never get those images out of my head.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

So, I know you're big time ag. Should small time ag hold off on putting his mater seedlings out a week or so?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Tomorrow, Sunday , is the one year anniversary of the tornado that hit my house. I’m still burning brush but at least I still have a home. Neighbor is still living in a camper, he has a couple of months to go on his house.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Tomorrow, Sunday , is the one year anniversary of the tornado that hit my house. I’m still burning brush but at least I still have a home. Neighbor is still living in a camper, he has a couple of months to go on his house.
Which city were you in?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mom says you can still see a lot of the scars in Amory, especially coming in from Smithville down Highway 25. She would know because she lived through the Smithville F5, and the storm that hit Amory last year ended up just half a mile south of her house. She also said because FEMA did not get involved in the cleanup as they did after the Smithville F5 in 2011, people had to pay for removing the trees themselves, and most folks didn't have that much money. There was extensive tree damage evidently left in Amory, not to mention the trees destroyed in the Smithville tornado were mostly pulverized.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
This is what I drove up on in Silver City a few minutes after it hit and started helping in S&R.

IMG_3927.jpeg

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
IMG_0955.pngIMG_1985.jpeg
I live in Wren, just outside of Amory. Same tornado it just hit me about ten minutes before Amory. This is a before and after of the church about 300 yards from my house.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Mom says you can still see a lot of the scars in Amory, especially coming in from Smithville down Highway 25. She would know because she lived through the Smithville F5, and the storm that hit Amory last year ended up just half a mile south of her house. She also said because FEMA did not get involved in the cleanup as they did after the Smithville F5 in 2011, people had to pay for removing the trees themselves, and most folks didn't have that much money. There was extensive tree damage evidently left in Amory, not to mention the trees destroyed in the Smithville tornado were mostly pulverized.
I had 41 trees down in just my yard. FEMA would only remove debris that they could reach from the road. They said that not a single tire could be off the asphalt. The roadside at my house is a twenty foot deep ditch. There was no way to put debris on the side of the road within reach of their trucks. Total BS.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I imagine it makes the North side of Amory look different. I grew up in Smithville and lived in Amory for a while, so I always came into town on the north side via Highway 25. Mom said I would not recognize it.

I know what that feels like. In 2013, I drove into Smithville after the F5 clean-up and what they could rebuild. I drove into town to the railroad tracks in the middle of town before I knew where I was. It was a huge shock.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
In Smithville everything was just gone, in Amory it was just destroyed but still there. I'm still finding stuff in the field behind my house and not just coolers and garbage cans but I'm finding hand tools. So far I've found a couple of hammers, a pipe wrench, a ratchet, and assorted wrenches. None of it belonged to my neighbor who lost his house and the next closest house is over half a mile away.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
In Smithville everything was just gone, in Amory it was just destroyed but still there. I'm still finding stuff in the field behind my house and not just coolers and garbage cans but I'm finding hand tools. So far I've found a couple of hammers, a pipe wrench, a ratchet, and assorted wrenches. None of it belonged to my neighbor who lost his house and the next closest house is over half a mile away.
My brother was right on the edge of that kind of devastation and damage. His house was totaled, and his tools were scattered everywhere. His boat was wrapped around the top of a tree at the end of a neighboring field. Directly across the street from his home, there were no houses for two blocks. There was nothing but foundations. The town built a Memorial directly where his house was, and he bought another home in Fulton. My heart goes out to you, brother.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I imagine it makes the North side of Amory look different. I grew up in Smithville and lived in Amory for a while, so I always came into town on the north side via Highway 25. Mom said I would not recognize it.

I know what that feels like. In 2013, I drove into Smithville after the F5 clean-up and what they could rebuild. I drove into town to the railroad tracks in the middle of town before I knew where I was. It was a huge shock.
Armory is gone. Football field is gone. Amory Marine is gone. Pretty much anything on the immediate south side of Hwy 25 is gone.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The latest update has pulled the tornado threat east. Squall line is still expected, but strong tornadoes are possible embedded in the line

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
So, I know you're big time ag. Should small time ag hold off on putting his mater seedlings out a week or so?
On the coast, started hardening mine off last week but put them out Saturday at lunch, they've been out there since. The wind today has me a little worried but they have to get used to it anyway.

Reactions: She Mate Me

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
On the coast, started hardening mine off last week but put them out Saturday at lunch, they've been out there since. The wind today has me a little worried but they have to get used to it anyway.
I've had mine in Starkville on an 'enclosed in plastic' screen porch in a Rubbermaid plastic tote since they sprouted, on the coldest nights it only gets to about 50' on the porch. I've been moving them outside on the sunny days in that clear tote with a dark lid. They're looking a little leggy but that's ok, I'll bury most of that height anyway when I put them in the ground.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
On the coast, started hardening mine off last week but put them out Saturday at lunch, they've been out there since. The wind today has me a little worried but theye have to get used to it anyway.

Yeah, I decided to wait a week or so. It's windy as hell today and it looks like we'll get one more dip into the 30's this week so no point. They wouldn't do much and might get beat up.

My seedlings are hardened off and pretty used to wind, but they're not npt big enough to be worried I'm late.

You're probably at least two weeks ahead of me weather wise on the coast.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login