Shak is out tonight. No bueno.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Already down Tolu and Murphy, now Shakeel is out for the dreaded 'violation of team rules'.

We will most likely take the L here because ASU is good anyway, but it will be interesting to see if we can make it a game. The new guys will have to step up.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
We will most likely take the L here because ASU is good anyway, but it will be interesting to see if we can make it a game.
I don't get the negativity here about us and why you feel this way about ASU. They lost basically their whole team from last year which, like us, was in the First Four. They are counting on a slew of transfers and a couple of returning guys. They are about 50 spots below us in the early KenPom rankings, and oh by the way we are 4 point favorites, even without Tolu. Is it possible they beat us? Sure. But my expectations are far more than just seeing if we can make it a game.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't get the negativity here about us and why you feel this way about ASU. They lost basically their whole team from last year which, like us, was in the First Four. They are counting on a slew of transfers and a couple of returning guys. They are about 50 spots below us in the early KenPom rankings, and oh by the way we are 4 point favorites, even without Tolu. Is it possible they beat us? Sure. But my expectations are far more than just seeing if we can make it a game.
I'm as excited about our team as anyone long term this year, just think it's going to be tough sledding our first night out without the guys I mentioned. No negativity intended. Maybe it was the 45+ year State fan in me that phrased it that way.

All I was saying was I for one won't panic if we lose tonight, because I do think they are a good team, have a good coach, and may have an advantage in this game (us without Tolu and now Shak).

I didn't know we were favored though, that's encouraging from the oddsmakers. Wonder if that was before the Shak announcement, but whatever. I hope we win.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I'm as excited about our team as anyone long term this year, just think it's going to be tough sledding our first night out without the guys I mentioned. No negativity intended. Maybe it was the 45+ year State fan in me that phrased it that way.

All I was saying was I for one won't panic if we lose tonight, because I do think they are a good team, have a good coach, and may have an advantage in this game (us without Tolu and now Shak).

I didn't know we were favored though, that's encouraging from the oddsmakers. Wonder if that was before the Shak announcement, but whatever. I hope we win.
Moore being out isn't a huge loss especially when it means more minutes for Hubbard and the new shooter. We just can't afford a no score game from Davis and a single digit effort from Jeffries.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Moore being out isn't a huge loss especially when it means more minutes for Hubbard and the new shooter. We just can't afford a no score game from Davis and a single digit effort from Jeffries.
Man I have to disagree about Shakeel, he needs to be one of the leaders on the team this year. Attitude, defensive toughness, shooting (sometimes)... We need him. I hate he has to sit out tonight.

If Hubbard is like most freshmen, he will play great for the first third of the season but will hit a wall and won't play as much closer to the end of the year. Again, hope I'm wrong and he's the next Chris Jackson-Raoof.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Yep…IMG_4355.png

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just remember…

It’s a long time till March.

Try to show some decorum in November until it all starts getting real later.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Glad to say I was wrong to even doubt Chris Jans and these guys. It looked exactly like we had hoped - same defense, same physicality on both ends, but just make some of the open 3’s we had all last year. It was a great feeling to see those going in.

Jimmy Bell held down the middle very well in Tolu’s absence, Hubbard, Jones, Scott, and Cam look very solid as expected… but Trey Fort... Wow.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Glad to say I was wrong to even doubt Chris Jans and these guys. It looked exactly like we had hoped - same defense, same physicality on both ends, but just make some of the open 3’s we had all last year. It was a great feeling to see those going in.

Jimmy Bell held down the middle very well in Tolu’s absence, Hubbard, Jones, Scott, and Cam look very solid as expected… but Trey Fort... Wow.
@Me2!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login