Shannon Dawson

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Name that I hadn't heard before until tonight. Intriguing. OC passing game coordinator at Houston. Been with holgerson at multiple stops. Worked with geno smith. Has ties also to USM with jay hopson, worked at milsaps, he's also coached around the offense.

prob wouldn't be my first choice but sounds like a likely candidate given his background and ties to Mississippi and modified air raid and he has called plays.

ETA: he wasn't qb coach when geno was there my mistake on that. He was coaching another position

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It’s a hell of a lot better than some other names being tossed around on another MSU board. Mike Bobo, Mark Whipple and Jim Chaney. About threw up in my mouth a little when I read those names.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He honestly sounds close to perfect to me. Houston has improved offensively esp in points
Honestly had we had time to do a search I really wanted us to ask holgerson to be hc. But we didn't.

seems like cza wants modified air raid. Holgerson was one of the main ones besides Riley to do that. So, if you can get holgerson get one of his guys. Only thing is that I'm not impressed with his numbers on his own at usm or Kentucky. He's much better paired with holgerson. Apparently he was pretty bad his one year at Kentucky after Neal brown.

so idk. Not my first choice just intrigued given his connections to ms already.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
My concern is he hasn’t fared all that well when he’s been away from Holgorsen. Didn’t go well for him at Kentucky and he was up and down at USM too.

I mean there are worse options out there.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
My concern is he hasn’t fared all that well when he’s been away from Holgorsen. Didn’t go well for him at Kentucky and he was up and down at USM too.

I mean there are worse options out there.
Yeah that's my hang up. Seems like holgerson is the master and he never picked it up on his own on how to effectively call plays and scheme

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
Name that I hadn't heard before until tonight. Intriguing. OC passing game coordinator at Houston. Been with holgerson at multiple stops. Worked with geno smith. Has ties also to USM with jay hopson, worked at milsaps, he's also coached around the offense.

prob wouldn't be my first choice but sounds like a likely candidate given his background and ties to Mississippi and modified air raid and he has called plays.

ETA: he wasn't qb coach when geno was there my mistake on that. He was coaching another position

Not gonna lie - his offenses have done really well at times over the years. And this year has been AMAZING.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hate to say this but if we don't get lucky on this OC pick, we may have stepped on our d*cks here. I like Arnett and I like the 335 defense( mostly because of JLD) But this is a critical juncture here. A bad decision will put us at 2018 on steroids

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login