Shapen

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
I think Shapen is going to surprise this year. Good arm. Accurate. Quick feet, good speed. Throws the ball in under 3 seconds. The only negatives may be he stares down receiver and got to protect himself better. I believe he is underrated, we will see.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
He was also #1 SS out of Louisiana and wanted to come to State when Andy Cann was here. So essentially, he is home!

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The analytics say he’s really good on deep balls and play action. We’ll be doing both a lot. I think he is a great find for a Year 1 transition QB to get this thing off the ground. Hate that he’ll just be one and done but I think he’s already showing some of what this system is capable of, which is the potential to be the most entertaining offense we’ve ever had.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
I hope the Shreveport Superman has a great year, but some of you guys may be expecting too much.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I just hope he finishes the season. Took some unnecessary hits last Saturday.
He did including 1hit when we were up like 35. He gained about 7 extra yards instead of just running out of bounds. A mediocre running game didn't help.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
How can you really tell anything after the game last week. We played a glorifed high school team.... as were quiet a few other teams in the SEC.... We likely werent even running or calling plays that would resemble anything close to our true game plan.

We once had a QB that torched LSU in game 1... then drifted off into great unknown. We'll know way more about him after this week. I dont think we learned anything about our team at all after game 1.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think Shapen is going to surprise this year. Good arm. Accurate. Quick feet, good speed. Throws the ball in under 3 seconds. The only negatives may be he stares down receiver and got to protect himself better. I believe he is underrated, we will see.
Game 1 he demonstrated better than average decision making and was a + QB. I am sure he knows he has some things to improve. I also think he has another good game this Saturday.

When we get into SEC play, he will have 30% less time to throw and DB's that play tighter coverage. His precision will need to be ++ at that time.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My biggest fear. There is only one of him and he did not appear to be the sliding to safety type. SEC defenses may render him unavailable if that doesn't change.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
He did including 1hit when we were up like 35. He gained about 7 extra yards instead of just running out of bounds. A mediocre running game didn't help.
This is an important point. Our traditional run game needs to be good to keep Shapen from toting the rock too often. In the past Lebby has shown that he will increase designed QB runs to supplement the run game if he has to. Thats going to increase the hits on Shapen if we have to go that route. I'm not taking too much from week 1 just yet because we were very vanilla BUT you should still have success against a FCS opponent picked to finish last in their division. We got very little push. Its a brand new OL so they will gel as the season progresses but the concerning thing is our big swing games are not later in the season. They are coming up in the next few weeks. These next three games will likely make or break our season.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I don’t think it’s crazy to think he’ll have a good year given Lebby’s track record with QB’s and some very positive flashes in Week 1.
Same thing as I saw, already above average above the shoulders and will only get better this year

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
When he stayed healthy, he was a all BIg12 QB.

He has to not take hits when he doesn't have too.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
At this point in the season, it would not matter if we had Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. Our people would find something to ***** about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85Bears

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
...he stares down receiver
This is the red flag I saw. A lot to like about him, but against SEC defenses this flaw will be fatal if not corrected. Not trying to be a negative nancy, but this is concerning for a QB in his senior season.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
So you’re saying we may see him again next spring?

Nah, but I am saying we have an experienced P4 QB who was also a high prospect in a different sport. He ain't getting the hype he deserves imo. Time will tell.

Reactions: retire the banner
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login