Shohei Watch….

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Rumor is we’re getting close. The Dodgers were the betting favorite before FanDuel took down the odds this morning. Blue Jays have been a popular name in recent days too.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm kinda glad the Cubs seems to have fallen down the pecking order. I'm just not a fan of paying big money for pitching on a long term contract. That said, I'd love it if he could replicate what he was doing before he got hurt on ANY* team.

* Offer excludes the cardinals.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

"Hey my check is a little short here"

"600 million wasn't meant to be literal, Bro Shohei - that was a figurative part of the passage. Plus we went on ahead and held out your tithe. See you Sunday morning - and night!"

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Pug

patdog

May 28, 2007

Pastors response when he signed.
woo hoo ric flair GIF

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Insane. He’s not going to pitch next year and I believe this was his 2nd TJ. Throw in the fact he will be 31 in 2025 and there is a possibility you don’t get any value from him as a pitcher and you’ve paid 700 million for a DH.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Rigged. Just like how the top four ever power ball jackpots winners were in California. Surprise surprise California gains another billionaire’s tax money.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Was always going to be a West coast team. He is a franchise player in more than a performance way. Lots of international $ will be spent on his Jerseys. Good for him.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Rigged. Just like how the top four ever power ball jackpots winners were in California. Surprise surprise California gains another billionaire’s tax money.
You honestly think the Illuminati is the reason he went there?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You won't be getting 10 years of that.
Well these other teams signing guys who only play one position $35-$40 million per year for 10 years aren’t getting 10 years at that level either. That’s just where the market is at for #1 starters on the mound and elite 1.000+ OPS players in the lineup. Combine both into one player who can do both at the same time, you double it.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well these other teams signing guys who only play one position $35-$40 million per year for 10 years aren’t getting 10 years at that level either. That’s just where the market is at.
Yeah but that's different. Ohtani is coming off his second TJ in five years and doesn't play a position outside of pitcher. If he doesn't return to dominant form as a pitcher, you're looking at a 70m DH.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah but that's different. Ohtani is coming off his second TJ in five years and doesn't play a position outside of pitcher. If he doesn't return to dominant form as a pitcher, you're looking at a 70m DH.

Thats obviously a risk, but if he does return to form you have a cornerstone piece unlike any in MLB history for a potential dynasty run.

And its not like he can’t play in the field….he was plenty good as an outfielder before switching to DH exclusively. By the time his deal is up, the going rate for elite hitters will probably be close to $60-$70 million per year, anyway.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Not really. Church softball is of the devil (kind of joking)
After I got out of ball I played some softball with family and friends. I obviously played in the top league here in Memphis. One friend asked me to play on his church league team because a few of their players went on a crusade, or whatever you call it. I think you were allowed only 2 HRs per team. So I hit a double and get there standing just before the tag and the "manager" is yelling at me for not sliding. Good thing my friend told him to shut up. Those guys were a little too tense for being such crummy athletes.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
After I got out of ball I played some softball with family and friends. I obviously played in the top league here in Memphis. One friend asked me to play on his church league team because a few of their players went on a crusade, or whatever you call it. I think you were allowed only 2 HRs per team. So I hit a double and get there standing just before the tag and the "manager" is yelling at me for not sliding. Good thing my friend told him to shut up. Those guys were a little too tense for being such crummy athletes.
I have seen normally very kind men, even pastors, become absolute trash talkers during church league softball. Part of the reason I think is there a natural competitiveness already. "We'll show those Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc." It might be different if the teams were forced to have teammates from different churches.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok…next year, Showhay will make $384k/game to DH.
Actually, only $12,000 per game to DH next year. Deferring all but $2 million per year. Pretty crazy. Ohtani must have wanted his own Bobby Bonilla day.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Actually, only $12,000 per game to DH next year. Deferring all but $2 million per year. Pretty crazy. Ohtani must have wanted his own Bobby Bonilla day.
Wonder if the taxes get deferred as well. He'd be giving up 50% of his check to Uncle Sam and the reptile himself, Gavin Newsom.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wonder if the taxes get deferred as well. He'd be giving up 50% of his check to Uncle Sam and the reptile himself, Gavin Newsom.
You don’t ever pay taxes until you actually get paid the income. He’ll get taxed at the $2 million rate for these 10 years, plus his endorsement income. Its essentially a 20-year deal, where he gets paid $68 million per year by the Dodgers for years 11-20, regardless of he’s still with the Dodgers, another team, or retired.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s taxable when he has a right to claim the money. So if it’s deferred by contract, it’s taxable when the contract says he can receive it , which in practice is when he get paid, it becomes taxable.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login