Should Briles going to TCU trouble us?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Allegedly we offered hm close to $2mil which would put him near the top of college assistants. I doubt TCU offered him much more than that.

So that means one of these four things is true (or a combination); 1) he was never really interested, just using us to get a raise, 2) he was interested and somehow we bungled it, 3) he wanted to get back to Texas where his roots are, 4) he wanted out of the SEC and to face easier competition.

Obviously TCU is in (what most would consider) a much more desirable place to live.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Allegedly we offered hm close to $2mil which would put him near the top of college assistants. I doubt TCU offered him much more than that.

So that means one of these four things is true (or a combination); 1) he was never really interested, just using us to get a raise, 2) he was interested and somehow we bungled it, 3) he wanted to get back to Texas where his roots are, 4) he wanted out of the SEC and to face easier competition.

Obviously TCU is in (what most would consider) a much more desirable place to live.
I think you should have a number five: he wanted out. State was his best option on the table to get out...until he perhaps heard through the grapevine that TCU was a possibility for him, and he maybe pulled back and waited for that one.

It's been reported that Briles reached out to us about the job, not the other way around.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think you should have a number five: he wanted out. State was his best option on the table to get out...until he perhaps heard through the grapevine that TCU was a possibility for him, and he maybe pulled back and waited for that one.

It's been reported that Briles reached out to us about the job, not the other way around.
I hope it’s 6.
Arnett is a ninja in the coaching community, he got tipped off that Briles was eyeing TCU realized how bad it looks to take a job only to take another one weeks later, (who does that**), and said we’re going a different direction.
No way it’s that way but I like to think it is. Like I like to think of Jesus in a tuxedo tshirt.

Aug 22, 2012
It doesn’t bother me. They were just in the national championship and he will be there a year or two before he’s a head coach somewhere.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

If I had to guess it's combination of those factors. Some may have had more gravity than others but usually there's more than one root cause.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I don't care at all.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022

Assistant coaches are leaving Arkansas while they can. The Pittman era hogs have hit their ceiling.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

"Allegedly" and "I doubt" in first paragraph are big holes in the story.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Word I’ve heard here in Fayetteville is that his wife wasn’t a fan of Starkville schools for their kids. Briles was down to move but the family kept that from coming together.
This is the answer. It’s a dumb reason but still the answer. Most people are stupid and have viewpoints like this, especially if they don’t know much about Starkville.

We know he wanted out of Arkansas. Then later on, TCU was available and was closer to home. Easy logic.

If this “troubles” you, you are pathetic.

Last edited:

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
This is the answer. It’s a dumb reason but still the answer. Most people are stupid and have viewpoints like this, especially if they don’t know much about Starkville.

We know he wanted out of Arkansas. Then later on, TCU was available and was closer to home. Easy logic.

If this “troubles” you, you are pathetic.
Why is it a dumb reason? Starkville high and Starkville academy aren’t good schools compared to even a better/best schools in Mississippi. Step out of the state (particularly Dallas area) and it’s a completely different league.

Now, I do agree with that kind of money you could hire full-time tutor from the university and still pay less than a top private school in Dallas.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why is it a dumb reason? Starkville high and Starkville academy aren’t good schools compared to even a better/best schools in Mississippi. Step out of the state (particularly Dallas area) and it’s a completely different league.

Now, I do agree with that kind of money you could hire full-time tutor from the university and still pay less than a top private school in Dallas.
Dude I’ve lived all over. This school crap doesn’t matter. Good students gonna be good students. It (school) just doesn’t.

Flame away. I understand perception and the need to have perceived ‘good schools’. But it’s still dumb. I’m not saying have bad schools. But Starkville’s situation is not a hindrance to anyone. It’s not like it’s Jackson Public Schools.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Schools and Healthcare are two areas Starkville is severely lacking.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
The “better schools in Texas” may be a little overblown. We lived in Texas for 12 years and our kids were in the Midway ISD (a part of Waco) which is considered an “exemplary” school by the state of Texas Dept of Education. When we moved back to Mississippi, both of my children (one a sixth grader and one a tenth grader at the time) both struggled for a while. Both said that the school in Mississippi was tougher than Midway ISD. My wife and I were shocked at how far behind both were. It took them a while to catch up. That was our experience FWIW.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
The “better schools in Texas” may be a little overblown. We lived in Texas for 12 years and our kids were in the Midway ISD (a part of Waco) which is considered an “exemplary” school by the state of Texas Dept of Education. When we moved back to Mississippi, both of my children (one a sixth grader and one a tenth grader at the time) both struggled for a while. Both said that the school in Mississippi was tougher than Midway ISD. My wife and I were shocked at how far behind both were. It took them a while to catch up. That was our experience FWIW.
I had a coworker whose wife taught at Clinton High School. He took a job near Jacksonville and she taught near St. Augustine at a “Great School District “. She was frustrated how far behind they were than CHS.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
The biggest problem with Starkville is limited healthcare, which is the case with rural Ms. Some areas have none.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
There may have also been a component there of not wanting to jump ship to a conference division rival for roughly the equivalent salary.

Other than that, I don't really give a ****. We offered, he said no. Move on.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login