Should Lem go or stay? Why or why not...

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I know the fate of CCL has been brought up here ad nauseum. But, I haven't seen much objective and specific reasoning as to why he should go, or stay. The narrative is generally 'he stinks so he needs to go', or 'he won our only natty so he needs to stay'.

I would like to hear clear, specific, and unemotional reasoning from both sides. Here is mine.

I have concluded he needs to go. Lem certainly has proven he has the talent to effectively manage a team with established leaders and and role players. To this one might say 'duh' but that is a skill that not everyone has, right Joe Morehead? But what Lem is proving is that he lacks the ability to pick up a team that has gotten down on its luck due to injuries or whatever, and get that team back on its feet. I think one of the main reasons is that he has been unable to establish effective team leadership. So now the team has gotten into this death spiral that he is obviously helpless to do anything to stop. I know pitching is the most glaring issue but it is much broader in scope and I think the reasons for all are the same. This team and last year's team has very little self-confidence and it shows up on defense, at the plate with RISP, and most of all on the mound. They have no player leadership, or coaching ability for that matter, to lift them out of the abyss and we are left staring in disbelief at this pathetic spectacle week after week. So, if Lem truly cannot build a team back up, to which there is ample data indicating he can't, then it is highly unlikely that we will ever get much better with him at the helm. For this reason, I reluctantly and regretfully say he needs to go.

I would love to hear other opinions.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Back to the leadership word which all i can do is shake my head at.

I'm 50-50. Honestly have to ask yourself who out there are you going to be able to bring in. The man did lead a team to a natty which is something no one else has done. I see the bad baseball and that is frusterating no doubt.

However where I see things different is I dont see it as much of a coaching problem as I do a TALENT problem. He brought cheese with him, Geau was basically a nobody before coming here and TBH would have likely been fired with henderson had the miracle run to the CWS not happened. Foxhall catches hell on these boards but I think the two above are just as guilty. I just dont think these guys are good recruiters AND before everyone starts talking about the perfect game ranks and stuff like that, Tanner Allen wasnt even ranked by those type things and turned into a pretty good player.

Id see how this season plays out, i think thats the big thing, give him the rest of the season to show improvement. Then probably give him one more season under the stipulation he gets rid of his entire staff or at least 2-3 members of it, and see if we can start bringing back in the elite talent we seem to be missing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I know the fate of CCL has been brought up here ad nauseum. But, I haven't seen much objective and specific reasoning as to why he should go, or stay. The narrative is generally 'he stinks so he needs to go', or 'he won our only natty so he needs to stay'.

I would like to hear clear, specific, and unemotional reasoning from both sides. Here is mine.

I have concluded he needs to go. Lem certainly has proven he has the talent to effectively manage a team with established leaders and and role players. To this one might say 'duh' but that is a skill that not everyone has, right Joe Morehead? But what Lem is proving is that he lacks the ability to pick up a team that has gotten down on its luck due to injuries or whatever, and get that team back on its feet. I think one of the main reasons is that he has been unable to establish effective team leadership. So now the team has gotten into this death spiral that he is obviously helpless to do anything to stop. I know pitching is the most glaring issue but it is much broader in scope and I think the reasons for all are the same. This team and last year's team has very little self-confidence and it shows up on defense, at the plate with RISP, and most of all on the mound. They have no player leadership, or coaching ability for that matter, to lift them out of the abyss and we are left staring in disbelief at this pathetic spectacle week after week. So, if Lem truly cannot build a team back up, to which there is ample data indicating he can't, then it is highly unlikely that we will ever get much better with him at the helm. For this reason, I reluctantly and regretfully say he needs to go.

You can go to www.sec sports.com and find all the objective evidence you need for why he should
Go

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Back to the leadership word which all i can do is shake my head at.

I'm 50-50. Honestly have to ask yourself who out there are you going to be able to bring in. The man did lead a team to a natty which is something no one else has done. I see the bad baseball and that is frusterating no doubt.

However where I see things different is I dont see it as much of a coaching problem as I do a TALENT problem. He brought cheese with him, Geau was basically a nobody before coming here and TBH would have likely been fired with henderson had the miracle run to the CWS not happened. Foxhall catches hell on these boards but I think the two above are just as guilty. I just dont think these guys are good recruiters AND before everyone starts talking about the perfect game ranks and stuff like that, Tanner Allen wasnt even ranked by those type things and turned into a pretty good player.

Id see how this season plays out, i think thats the big thing, give him the rest of the season to show improvement. Then probably give him one more season under the stipulation he gets rid of his entire staff or at least 2-3 members of it, and see if we can start bringing back in the elite talent we seem to be missing.
Decent post until the last paragraph. Nobody is coming here for a lameduck head coach.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s got nothing to do with leadership and establishing a culture.

Like you said, Lemonis can certainly manage a talented team, and even a young talented team. His first season here we had a ton of sophomores and freshman playing. The problem I see with Lemonis is he recruits too many guys that do one thing well… throw the ball really fast or hit the ball really hard. We got too many guys that have good bats but no position. We got a lineup full of left fielders or DH. Ross highfill is a great hitter but he has no business being an sec catcher right now, same for Hancock. We’ve recruited a staff full of pitchers that throw hard and have good movement but can’t throw strikes, and they have always had trouble throwing strikes.

He needs to go because he can’t build a good roster. We have no one reliable in the bullpen, we have no catcher, we are incredibly weak at SS (both hitting and fielding) and 3B.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Leadership in baseball is overrated. We could inject Jake Mangums leadership into Hunter Hines and we would be 1-8 right now

Reactions: kired and HuntDawg

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
He needs to go. The teams last year and this year have been extremely poorly coached. Most high school baseball teams have better fundamentals and situational awareness than this team does. It is painful to watch a MSU baseball team have no clue what to do in many baseball situations. For the most part it looks like we've never even discussed bunt defense, and twice now I've seen the other team throw all the way down to second on a steal, just conceding the run from 3rd, and our runner at 3rd doesn't score. It is truly remarkable how poorly this team is coached.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Like you said, Lemonis can certainly manage a talented team, and even a young talented team. His first season here we had a ton of sophomores and freshman playing. The problem I see with Lemonis is he recruits too many guys that do one thing well… throw the ball really fast or hit the ball really hard. We got too many guys that have good bats but no position. We got a lineup full of left fielders or DH. Ross highfill is a great hitter but he has no business being an sec catcher right now, same for Hancock. We’ve recruited a staff full of pitchers that throw hard and have good movement but can’t throw strikes, and they have always had trouble throwing strikes.

He needs to go because he can’t build a good roster. We have no one reliable in the bullpen, we have no catcher, we are incredibly weak at SS (both hitting and fielding) and 3B.
I agree with this. I joke about him recruiting only the PG All-Americans. I was leery of his recruiting strategy in the beginning but thought to myself, "hey, we have the bones and potential at MSU, and maybe one of these elite recrooter types will take us to the next level". Turns out that nope, it doesn't work (long term). Worth a try though, just like the Air Raid was. And it got us a natty in the short term, so there's that.

I'm not yet on the firewagon, I'm willing to wait out this season. It seems like we may have found some pieces here and there.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Decent post until the last paragraph. Nobody is coming here for a lameduck head coach.
Could be right there, but for an assistant a little different than a HC IMO. Assistant at an sec school probably be a nice pay raise and a lottery ticket in case things do get turned around.

But again the way i see it, is the assistants arent very good anyway, so the new blood is a good thing, even if they arent brand names

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Lots of good things in this post. Ross Highfill isnt a great hitter though.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
I think he's got to go because there's no excuse for not being able to bring in talent and get the most out of them with the facilities and tradition Mississippi State has with college baseball.
I get that he gets credit for the Natty, but all that team really needed was someone that helped them from getting in their own way. Lemonis' Natty is a lot like Barry Switzer's Super Bowl. A lot of coaches could have won the title with that team. The big disucssion is what has happened since then....Oh brother...
Last year was enough of a travesty, but to follow it up with an even worse travesty? Got to go. Teams are coming into our house and pushing us around now. 18 SEC losses in a row? He might be able to make it the rest of the season, but no way he nor Foxhall should be allowed admission to Dudy Noble next year unless they're wearing an opposing uniform.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
You may as well wait out the season. I wouldn't trust anyone on the staff to serve as interim and you really don't want to bring back some decaying coach and totally 17 these player up and make them want to leave.
This team will not win 6 more SEC games going forward, they may not win 4.
But even if they end up winning a handful of the remaining series, it is time to move on from CCL.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You may as well wait out the season. I wouldn't trust anyone on the staff to serve as interim and you really don't want to bring back some decaying coach and totally 17 these player up and make them want to leave.
This team will not win 6 more SEC games going forward, they may not win 4.
But even if they end up winning a handful of the remaining series, it is time to move on from CCL.

I'll take the bet for big money they win 4 more... I'll take the bet for a large amount even still they win more than 6. This team hits non elite pitching, and i suspect you'll see us save our better pitching for saturday and sunday and start dodging aces on Friday nights.

3 @ Alabama-- I dont see us being swept
3 vs Ole Miss-- I dont see us getting swept, might even get 2, as ole miss is struggling tiself and we have their number at home
3 @ Auburn-- Again a team that doesnt have elite pitching- wont get swept
3 @ UT- 0-3 likely
3 vs Ark- 0-3 could happen but i'll take 1
3 @ LSU- 0-3 likely
3 vs TxAm- I see us getting 1 or 2

so worst case i see 7-8 more wins.

Even bad baseball teams win games.

Reactions: eckie1

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I feel like 2021 bought him 2024. It will be hard to defend if they don’t make Hoover though.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'll take the bet for big money they win 4 more... I'll take the bet for a large amount even still they win more than 6. This team hits non elite pitching, and i suspect you'll see us save our better pitching for saturday and sunday and start dodging aces on Friday nights.

3 @ Alabama-- I dont see us being swept
3 vs Ole Miss-- I dont see us getting swept, might even get 2, as ole miss is struggling tiself and we have their number at home
3 @ Auburn-- Again a team that doesnt have elite pitching- wont get swept
3 @ UT- 0-3 likely
3 vs Ark- 0-3 could happen but i'll take 1
3 @ LSU- 0-3 likely
3 vs TxAm- I see us getting 1 or 2

so worst case i see 7-8 more wins.

Even bad baseball teams win games.
"All I see is 3 wins"**********************

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Stay.

Duh.

It's Typical Mississippi State to run off its Greatest Football Coach (Allyn McKeen) & its Greatest Basketball Coach (Babe McCarty -- apologies to noted Richard Williams Lover @DawgatAuburn ** ).

Let's be Atypical Mississippi State and not run off the only coach to coach a Mississippi State team to a national championship.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'll let the season play out before judging. The three teams we've played are 25-2 in SEC play, and 74-11 overall. So regardless of what we think those are pretty good teams.

Our pitching is an absolute mess and some of this snowballs from that in my opinion. We walk batters and don't have a catcher that can throw anyone out. We're constantly putting our fielders in higher pressure situations. That's definitely not helping with the fielding issues. Its just a big kick in the nuts to rest of the team when your pitchers give out free passes and serve up long balls.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
He's earned the right to finish out the season to see if he can turn things around but I have Zero confidence he can do that. Since the Natty, he's been riding the Good Ship Lollipop. Being a good coach in this day and age is a Grind dealing with NIL and The Portal. I've been in sales basically all my life and being top dog for a couple of years doesn't give me the right to sit on my A$$ for even a month as I've always had a boss pounding my A$$ for more on a daily basis. I've been fortunate enough to meet CEO's and VP's and they too are under extreme pressure and work their A$$ES off. They also get fired a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: eckie1

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree with this. I joke about him recruiting only the PG All-Americans. I was leery of his recruiting strategy in the beginning but thought to myself, "hey, we have the bones and potential at MSU, and maybe one of these elite recrooter types will take us to the next level". Turns out that nope, it doesn't work (long term). Worth a try though, just like the Air Raid was. And it got us a natty in the short term, so there's that.

I'm not yet on the firewagon, I'm willing to wait out this season. It seems like we may have found some pieces here and there.
Lemonis recruits are what the SPS lexicon phrase "Gene's Page All-Americans" was made for. Dawgstudent clearly saw 20 years into the future.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
"All I see is 3 wins"*********************

To put it in perspective. Only 1 team since the conference expanded has won less than 7 games in a full sec schedule. The worst record being 5-24-1.

I'll again bet a very large amount of money MSU goes better than 4-26 this season. And still a good chunk they win more than 6.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Stay.

Duh.

It's Typical Mississippi State to run off its Greatest Football Coach (Allyn McKeen) & its Greatest Basketball Coach (Babe McCarty -- apologies to noted Richard Williams Lover @DawgatAuburn ** ).

Let's be Atypical Mississippi State and not run off the only coach to coach a Mississippi State team to a national championship.
Yeah. I mean it's pretty obvious that we keep him unless this season absolutely craters, which it probably won't do.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Stay.

Duh.

Or did he?*****

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He’s trending on needing to go at the end of the season. He’s not all the way there yet. I do think that will be the clear outcome by the end of this month.

But, as bad as we’ve been, we still have a really damn high RPI compared to the product we put on the field. Currently we are at #42. Right next to us is Clemson, who is practically a mirror image of our team both schedule wise and record wise. This is due mainly to what is currently the #2 SOS in the country for us and I think #3 for Clemson.

What this means is that if we could ever put a couple of good weekend series together in the coming weeks, we’d back in the discussion of the regionals, thanks to the strong scheduling. 13-17 in SEC would likely get us in. Obviously even that record would take a hell of a turnaround. This past weekend was still pretty frustrating, but we did finally break the streak, were more competitive than we had been, and we got Cade Smith back out there who should now be able to hop back in the weekend rotation. So there were some positives.

I think when all is said and done if the team rallies enough to get at least on the bubble for the regionals, Lemonis might earn back some trust for another year. But its not what I expect to happen. And I think no matter what it is curtains for Foxhall. Gotta at least give him enough rope to hang himself though.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Yeah, I definitely want to see how the season plays out. I would never fire him during the season. I just don’t see a turn coming.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This is the 5th year for him, minus the Covid season. Either way, he’s had his chances to keep the gravy train rolling and has failed.

If I’m AD, I’m fishing around and if we hook a good coach, sLem gawn. Otherwise, we fire Foxhall, and he’s coaching for his career next season. Either way, the guy is on borrowed time.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He’s trending on needing to go at the end of the season. He’s not all the way there yet. I do think that will be the clear outcome by the end of this month.

But, as bad as we’ve been, we still have a really damn high RPI compared to the product we put on the field. Currently we are at #42. Right next to us is Clemson, who is practically a mirror image of our team both schedule wise and record wise. This is due mainly to what is currently the #2 SOS in the country for us and I think #3 for Clemson.

What this means is that if we could ever put a couple of good weekend series together in the coming weeks, we’d back in the discussion of the regionals, thanks to the strong scheduling. 13-17 in SEC would likely get us in. Obviously even that record would take a hell of a turnaround. This past weekend was still pretty frustrating, but we did finally break the streak, were more competitive than we had been, and we got Cade Smith back out there who should now be able to hop back in the weekend rotation. So there were some positives.

I think when all is said and done if the team rallies enough to get at least on the bubble for the regionals, Lemonis might earn back some trust for another year. But its not what I expect to happen. And I think no matter what it is curtains for Foxhall. Gotta at least give him enough rope to hang himself though.

Agree. Alabama, Ole Miss and Auburn. 9 games against teams that are in the middle of the pack or below, one being your biggest rival.

Big stretch that'll go a long way in telling the tale.

13-17 puts us needing to win a few in the sec tournament i think. Plus you have to see where that 13-17 ranks inside the conference as the SEC usually only gets 8-9 teams in.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
This is the 5th year for him, minus the Covid season. Either way, he’s had his chances to keep the gravy train rolling and has failed.

If I’m AD, I’m fishing around and if we hook a good coach, sLem gawn. Otherwise, we fire Foxhall, and he’s coaching for his career next season. Either way, the guy is on borrowed time.

I think this is where I am as well. We'll definitely see what this coaching staff and team is made of this season. They can either throw in the towel now or keep battling. Adversity has a way of separating those with tenacity and those without.

Rockydawg

Mar 3, 2008

Answering a question with a question:

When was the last time MSU Baseball lost 18 SEC games straight?

There’s your answer.

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
He needs to go. The teams last year and this year have been extremely poorly coached. Most high school baseball teams have better fundamentals and situational awareness than this team does. It is painful to watch a MSU baseball team have no clue what to do in many baseball situations. For the most part it looks like we've never even discussed bunt defense, and twice now I've seen the other team throw all the way down to second on a steal, just conceding the run from 3rd, and our runner at 3rd doesn't score. It is truly remarkable how poorly this team is coached.
THIS ^^^ Why would we ever maintain and PAY a coach this much money for this poor coaching. At worst, we could be a less talented team with solid fundamentals. But no, that's asking too much. We have to be a less talented team with the worst fundamentals. I can't think of enough words to describe how this could even be possible at this level at State in baseball.

msu71

Mar 3, 2008
There are not enough words that anyone could write on this board to explain what has caused our complete and utter failure with our baseball program over the last couple of years. Bad pitching, suspect defense, cannot hit with runners in scoring position, no middle relief, bad catching, bad infield defense, have not had a 3rd baseman that can make plays at all, no closer, no SEC catcher that can handle the running game, bad fundamentals of throwing to the wrong base from the outfield, no bunt defense, getting thrown out on the bases with less than 2 outs and runners in scoring position, more walks and hit by pitches than can be counted, and that is just to begin with.

Really good coaches find a way to stop the bleeding that has taken place over the last couple of seasons. We have had an experiment at 3rd base every year with no end in sight. Our starting shortstop has improved his hitting but his defense has suffered tremendously. We always go to the portal to find a 2nd baseman that seems to work out, but it is only for 1 year and then we start all over.

After winning the NC, we have sat on our behinds and relished our victory while everyone else in the SEC has gotten tremendously better. That is not what MSU baseball should be. We should be at the top of the SEC in baseball every year. I am not saying we should win the conference or the NC, but we should NEVER, EVER, be at the bottom. You can take last year and say we lost a lot to injury, but not 2 years in a row.

Even though we have some supposedly good recruits coming in, you simply cannot have this coaching staff hang around any longer than this year. Every single one of them needs to go. It may take us a few years to get back on our feet, but you have to bring in an established coach who can teach the fundamentals and return us to the kind of baseball we want to see on SEC weekends. What we are seeing now is unacceptable at MSU.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'll again bet a very large amount of money MSU goes better than 4-26 this season. And still a good chunk they win more than 6.
The fact that these kind of numbers are even being discussed are reason enough for him to go. We're better off letting him finish the season than booting him mid season but unless he goes on a heck of a run in the last half of the season, its just time. There's just no excuse for them to be this bad 2 years in a row and worse this year than last. When asked why he says he doesn't know, so if that's the case, its time to find someone that does evidently since he doesn't

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I feel like 2021 bought him 2024. It will be hard to defend if they don’t make Hoover though.
I might agree if we were at least semi competitive. The depth and breadth of our fall is just way too much to give him another season.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Go.

Reason #1 -->2022 season
Reason #2 --> 2023 season thus far.

MSU Baseball should never be this bad in back to back seasons. I was willing to give him a mulligan for one season because stuff (injuries, attitudes, bad luck, etc) can happen every now and then. But the baseball program at MS State should never be this bad in consecutive seasons.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Like others have stated, I could see keeping him, even if we weren't winning much, as long as we played well, & had at a minimum sound fundamentals.

The fact that we aren't just losing to great teams (we are), but are looking like dog-**** just about cuts it for me. So, not just W/L record, but fact that we look poorly coached. That is & always should be unacceptable at State. There can be excuses for high era's, low BA's & poor RISP, but there are no excuses for a lack of fundamentals...none.

In the previous 58 years of baseball at State we have had 7 losing seasons. If things stay on the current course, CCL will own 2 of 8 in just 5 seasons. That doesn't cut it. Our new AD had better already be putting out feelers, ready to pull the trigger when it most makes sense, whether at the end of this season or during it.

The longer this clown show continues, the more damage it does to our reputation as a place where the best players want to play.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login