should the ncaa consider changing..

billybrutus

Feb 23, 2008
something i hate..

the whole charge/blocking-flopping deal..

first off i think its time that the college game adopted the rule the nba has with regards to where a charge can be taken..

too many times you see a guy make a good move and beat his initial man off the drive.. once he has beaten his initial man and has a clear path to the basket.. someone will slide in under him while he's in the air.. at that point.. you just never know what the ref's gonna call.. as in yesterday's game.. in overtime. gordon beat his man.. got in the air to attack the hoop.. and then you see one of usc's players show up and slide under gordon.. you just knew a charge was going to be called... the charge took place just a few feet out in front of the basket...
total bullschit... a guy makes a good move. beats his man.. takes off for the goal.. and then a guy on d slides under him.

and for all that is good.. i wish there was something that could be done about the "flop" ... if you broke down tape of say; 100 called charging fouls.. how many of those charges are aided by the defensive player selling the ref with the flop..

a whole damn bunch i promise ya!

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
But there's something effeminate about it. Ben Hanbrough charging against that huge freshman? Get real. That's the only time in history Hansbrough would ever knock a guy that huge down.

I thought the rule was that if the guy was in the air, he had to have space to land, unless the defender was standing still there before he jumped.

We got one of those chickenshit calls for us once or twice as well.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That's the thing I don't like. If you don't flop, you won't get the call. If you were to stand there, take the contact and either not budge or keep your feet, the refs wouldn't make the call.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
i don't like what refs use to say a guy had his feet established. Too many times its reminiscent of an NFL WR tapping dragging both feet in bounds before falling out of bounds. Defender jumps in there, body already falling backwards, but has both feet (just the toes sometimes) still on the floor, and its called a charge.

AceLeroy

Aug 30, 2006
I have always thought that making the blocking or charging call is the one area where the NCAA refs actually do a decent job.

I have often wondered why when a player beats his man and someone else picks him up why he seems hell bent on just plowing over the guy hoping to get the call instead of just pulling up and shooting the short jumper.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
they need to change is the "jump ball" rule...that **** is terrible. alternating possessions? what is this, 5th grade recess?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They need to put a charge circle under the basket like the NBA and make the jump ball an actual jumpball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login