Should we just cut bait with Jans?....

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He obviously does not want to be here. He is killing his ability to recruit by obviously looking at the exit. Perhaps not this season but we should be scouting his replacement right now!
Is that a risk any longer with the portal? Doesn't seem anyone is making more than a 1 year commitment to a program nowadays.

Reactions: HeCannotGo

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
He obviously does not want to be here. He is killing his ability to recruit by obviously looking at the exit. Perhaps not this season but we should be scouting his replacement right now!
As State fans Dan made us all paranoid with his constant looking. Jans may do the same, and I will be happy to take a Mullen type run in basketball and Jans flirting every year. Arkansas has multiple billionaires who support athletics, specifically basketball, State doesn't.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The worst part for Jans personally is the announcement of the interview was for nothing. So not only did he not have a shot - he lost some support within our fanbase.

For me, as long he's here - I want him here. He's a good coach.
Thatā€™s what sucks about this. Coaches look around at other jobs but when it comes out youā€™re interviewing and then you donā€™t get it, thatā€™s not a good look.

When Mullen was doing this there was no official news that he was interviewing until the Florida job came open and that was pretty quiet as well but we all knew he was doing stuff behind the scenes.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Dumbest fanbase in the country
I will admit to a bit of hyperbole in the title to my post but I do think we should be planning for life after Jans because if he indeed did interview for the Arky job after just two seasons at State it is obvious he would rather be somewhere else. That is OK but now it sends a message to players he is trying to convince to come to Starkville and that cannot help recruiting. Ultimately Selmon has to sit down with Jans and clear the air. I am not advocating firing him now or in the future but if it is obvious he is likely to bolt in the next year or two then we should go ahead and keep feelers out there for his replacement.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The worst part for Jans personally is the announcement of the interview was for nothing. So not only did he not have a shot - he lost some support within our fanbase.

For me, as long he's here - I want him here. He's a good coach.
Somebody needs an *** chewing. I assume this was somebody from Arkansas's Athletic department rushing to get news out to mollify their fans that are already pissed about their head coach getting poached. If that's true, Jans's agent needs to be wearing them out, not that it really does anything. If this somehow came from Jans's camp, then I have no words for how stupid that is.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Somebody needs an *** chewing. I assume this was somebody from Arkansas's Athletic department rushing to get news out to mollify their fans that are already pissed about their head coach getting poached. If that's true, Jans's agent needs to be wearing them out, not that it really does anything. If this somehow came from Jans's camp, then I have no words for how stupid that is.
This.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He obviously does not want to be here. He is killing his ability to recruit by obviously looking at the exit. Perhaps not this season but we should be scouting his replacement right now good arena and some deeeeep pocket boosters?
Sooooo, we put up w/ Ben Howland for 7 seasons w/ a .578 winning percentage, 1 tournament appearance (a loss to a 12 seed Liberty team and now we get Jans who in 2 seasons has been to 2 tournaments (more than Howland did in 7 seasons), has a .608 winning percentage and you want to "cut bait" and run him off because he appears to be good enough to attract some interest from other teams, was interested in getting a substantial raise in a program w/ some good past history, a really good arena and some deeeep pocket boosters. Solid thinking there...........

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
How do we not know that the jans and beard stuff were not smoke screens for the big prize? Do you know for certain he was actually interviewing? I believe several media members are paid to lie about coaches looking at other jobs. Just like with Mullen always a bunch of rumors but do any of you have any actual first hand knowledge

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I will admit to a bit of hyperbole in the title to my post but I do think we should be planning for life after Jans because if he indeed did interview for the Arky job after just two seasons at State it is obvious he would rather be somewhere else. That is OK but now it sends a message to players he is trying to convince to come to Starkville and that cannot help recruiting. Ultimately Selmon has to sit down with Jans and clear the air. I am not advocating firing him now or in the future but if it is obvious he is likely to bolt in the next year or two then we should go ahead and keep feelers out there for his replacement.

If our AD doesnā€™t always have a short list for coaching replacements, then he isnā€™t doing his job.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
In this day and age, every competent AD is frequently updating his list of potential replacements for his current coach. Every coaching staff and every roster is subject to 100% turnover every year.

So what if Jans talked to Arkansas? So did Beard. So did Calipari (obviously). Probably another sitting SEC head coach or three as well. Recruits don't think beyond the upcoming season. They're gonna transfer to the highest bidder anyway, so who cares if the coach might leave?

Reactions: DerHntr

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
What the hell, you can't leave McDonald's, we're paying you $20 a hour. You should devote your life to the arches, there is no other way. We are family! Fire him now, we can do better.

Reactions: FormerBully

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Do we even know if the rumor of him interviewing there was even true? Rumors about Beard going there were also thrown around.
This place ALWAYS treats negative rumors as fact. Who knows if it really happened? Nobody here does I'm sure.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

You DO REALIZE that the crap that the agent puts out on social media is almost always horse **** right? Beard "interviewed and decided to stay home". If you believe that then you just do not know how this business works.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
EXACTLY. We have some dumb fans.
Like someone else posted, I hope every coach on campus winds up leaving us for a better job. Cause other than the very rare successful coach who stays in one job forever, there's only two options: leave for a better job or get fired for losing too much. And we're just not going to have the successful coach who stays forever in any sport other than maybe baseball.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yes, with the advancements in technology,
We can put an iPad on the bench and coach from the SPS game thread. Spend the former $ earmarked for coaching salaries on football NIL and Dudy Noble aesthetics. Recruiting? We got that covered too. Just let SPS posters directly recruit high school athletes through their social media accounts.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I have a brilliant plan. Fire him. Hire Dawn Staley for menā€™s coach. We will win the woke award and it will probably bring in lots of $$.
And she can coach. Will it translate to the menā€™s game? Might be worth a try.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I think I see the matrix now.

We're gonna fire our best basketball coach in a generation because he may (or may not) have interviewed with a program that's clearly a step up from ours.

This will entice Lane Kiffin to hire Jans as an analyst, thereby wasting 0.1% of the Ole Miss football budget.

Selmon's playing 4-D chess, boys.

• Haha
Reactions: FlotownDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Like someone else posted, I hope every coach on campus winds up leaving us for a better job. Cause other than the very rare successful coach who stays in one job forever, there's only two options: leave for a better job or get fired for losing too much. And we're just not going to have the successful coach who stays forever in any sport other than maybe baseball.
This is it exactly. If MSU people want to win, we have to put up with this sort of thing. You can keep a loser as long as you want. People will come after a winner. It was a very good thing that Mullen kept getting mentioned for jobs. That meant we were winning.

Reactions: patdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
"Problem" - Hired a good coach that receives interest from better programs

Solution - Fire him and get a coach that better programs don't want

Makes sense šŸ˜’

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well since Jans apparently painted himself into a corner, he isn't able to return and will have to find employment elsewhere.
No need for MSU to pay anything.

I mean, that's what I learned in the last Jans thread.
...this thread is living up to being just as worthless.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login