Shouldn't Lemonis have gotten himself ejected last night?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Maybe I’m more of a baseball purist, but when an injustice at that scale is leveled upon your players, you have to take up for them and follow it with an ejection. Am I wrong here? Is anybody else a little upset he didn’t go the Wally Backman- South Georgia Peanuts route?

I just think if there was ever a time to take up for your players and the sport of baseball in general, last night was that time. We can win a baseball game without the head coach in the dugout.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I probably would have. But he said last night the umpires told him if the game wasn’t on TV it would have been a warning for everyone & nothing else. Which was the right decision. So I can understand not yelling at them about something that wasn’t their fault. I think he handled it right.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
And what would have that changed? The end result would have been the same.
It would have changed nothing except for the respect that players have for a coach who takes up for his players after abysmal rule interpretations. We all know that’s how coaches show it at certain times. I don’t think he needed to berate the on field umpiring crew because it wasn’t their fault, but getting ejected in that situation seemed reasonable however he decided to make it happen.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Maybe I’m more of a baseball purist, but when an injustice at that scale is leveled upon your players, you have to take up for them and follow it with an ejection. Am I wrong here? Is anybody else a little upset he didn’t go the Wally Backman- South Georgia Peanuts route?

I just think if there was ever a time to take up for your players and the sport of baseball in general, last night was that time. We can win a baseball game without the head coach in the dugout.
NO, he did nothing that could see, to make the situation worse. Nor should he have done so..

Last edited:

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
No, he shouldn’t have gotten himself ejected as it wouldn’t have changed the outcome and his actions in the dugout showed his players how pissed off he was. Some simple lip-reading showed some of the things he was saying to the umpires while the “discussion” was going on. His kids knew he was giving the umps hell. Can you imagine trying out to edit the lineup card after all the ejections? I’m sure Lemonis looked at the replacements and had to think “Holy Shiite”! Now, if he had gone over and smacked the 17 out of that little leprechaun Wes Johnson, that would have been worth an ejection. The “little man syndrome” is strong in that one for sure.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Honestly, if I'd been behind the plate I would've thrown Long out immediately.

That guy was pretty bad with his strike zone, but pretty patient with a ridiculous flex from the guy who was 3rd in importance to the making of that play (actually 4th if you count Georgia's 3rd base coach)

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
I think it is sometimes necessary to get ejected as a coach, but not in this case. The decision was made in another city. Screaming at the umpires at the game seems pointless.
No but he should have been raising hell every bad call today.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I think it is sometimes necessary to get ejected as a coach, but not in this case. The decision was made in another city. Screaming at the umpires at the game seems pointless.
I agree with this.
Had the umpires at the park tossed everyone then you probably get ejected really quick.
In this case I think it was kinda hard to be really upset with the crew on the field.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I agree with this.
Had the umpires at the park tossed everyone then you probably get ejected really quick.
In this case I think it was kinda hard to be really upset with the crew on the field.
Yeah. Again, I'm not saying he should have directed it towards the on field crew. Some manager ejections are orchestrated to simply show your team you are taking up for them, and the umpires understand how that works. Not all, most are directed at the crew but he could have made it happen. After looking back on the weekend and having time to process all of this and the series win, he probably made the right decision. I would have been ok with an ejection though if he decided to go that route.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Absolutely he should have. Being better managed at the end of the game would have probably lead to a win.

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Here is my two day post assessment of what happened Sat nite.

1. The SEC was not just humiliated. It was made a laughing stock from coast to coast. The exposure was not just to people who watched the game. This was screwed up so bad that ESPN picked up the story on sports center. I had numerous people mention it to me laughing about the absurdity.
2. The review office needs to stay in its lane. It is fine for reviewing close plays on the field. They have no business whatsoever trying to adjudicate a situation like this in real time. In-game ejections MUST be left solely to the discretion of the game umpires. NEVER someone(s) sitting in front of a monitor where you can't even identify the players involved. EVER.
3. Who does the SEC have in that review room? The level of incompetence and lack of common sense on display was frankly startling. They are either very insecure and afraid to use common sense or just don't give a crap. Maybe both.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

The umps at the game didn't eject anyone. Going ballistic on them wouldn't have made any sense. He said in his postgame presser that they were essentially apologizing to him for what the people in Birmingham were doing

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Multiple reports that the umps were apologetic and that it was out of their hands. Lemonis would have made a fool of himself berating them and getting thrown out for a decision they didn't make.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login