Since basketball may be the best thing …

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We have to discuss this sports season, does anyone know the origin behind the band playing blues/soul music artist Cliff Nobles single - Horses, intermittently during timeouts especially at the basketball games.
As far as I can tell, he was very popular during the late 60’s and early 70’s.
Anyway, just heard this song during lunch at a Atlanta restaurant and I had never heard it anywhere else but at our basketball games.

The Horse by Cliff Nobles https://www.shazam.com/track/431852/the-horse?referrer=share

not sure if that attached or not??

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Our high school band played it from the early 70's at least until after I graduated and I've heard it at other ballgames too. No idea what the whole story is but its not an MSU or Hump thing

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you posted it. I had an old friend of my Dad's who was a football coach. He always wanted our high school band to play the Horse because it was his favorite fight song.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Not sure how old you are but a pretty popular "top 40" song when I was growing up. I had forgotten who did it. I assume they play it because it's almost custom made for pep/marching bands, peppy and full of horns.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yep, its an old Top 40 hit. Just like "Neck" that got famous when LSU students were chanting Suck That Tiger Dick, *****, is a song from the 80s protesting Ronald Reagan called "Talking Out Da Side Of Your Neck"

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I always liked it when they played Spiderwebs at basketball games. I don’t particularly like the actual song but it’s really good with a pep band.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
We have to discuss this sports season, does anyone know the origin behind the band playing blues/soul music artist Cliff Nobles single - Horses, intermittently during timeouts especially at the basketball games.
As far as I can tell, he was very popular during the late 60’s and early 70’s.
Anyway, just heard this song during lunch at a Atlanta restaurant and I had never heard it anywhere else but at our basketball games.

The Horse by Cliff Nobles https://www.shazam.com/track/431852/the-horse?referrer=share

not sure if that attached or not??
That's a really common song that bands play all over the country, my high school band played it in the 80's.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login