• 7-5 or 8-4

Votes: 71 74.0%
  • 6-6 or worse

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
we have won 3 or 4 SEC games 12 times. Is there another SEC program that has traded in such a tight range? I thought Alabama, but their SEC record is worse than 7-1 more often than our SEC win total isn't 3 or 4.

With four non-con games that we should win, this trend suggests 7-5 or 8-4 is likely.

Reactions: Yeti

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Were you around before Mullen?

In the eight years before Mullen, we won more than 2 SEC games once. Over that eight-year period, the worst SEC record was Vanderbilt at 12-52. Our record was 13-51.
The question is worded oddly - “Since Dan Mullen took over (14 years ago) what will the record be in 2023.” I agree with Uncle Ruckus, what does the 2023 record have to do with Mullen becoming the coach 14-yrs ago?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
6-6 or better needs to be an option.

I know it is a spring game.... but we looked badly out of sync in the spring game. Thank goodness we have SELA game 1.

Anyways, I say somewhere between 6-8 wins.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The question is worded oddly - “Since Dan Mullen took over (14 years ago) what will the record be in 2023.” I agree with Uncle Ruckus, what does the 2023 record have to do with Mullen becoming the coach 14-yrs ago?
You are combining two different sentences. "Since Dan Mullen took over (14 seasons), we have won 3 or 4 SEC games 12 times."

I could have said since 2009, but it didn't seem like a random point in time that we went from slightly better than Vanderbilt to the middle of the SEC. We have the 7th best SEC record since the most recent expansion (11 seasons). I think Mullen had something to do with that.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
You are combining two different sentences. "Since Dan Mullen took over (14 seasons), we have won 3 or 4 SEC games 12 times."

I could have said since 2009, but it didn't seem like a random point in time that we went from slightly better than Vanderbilt to the middle of the SEC. We have the 7th best SEC record since the most recent expansion (11 seasons). I think Mullen had something to do with that.
It probably has more to do with the SEC payout blowing up.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
A couple years ago, I wanted to see how much we'd improved as a program since Mullen took over so I put together this spreadsheet. We've definitely improved overall - an extra non-conference game each year since 2006 hasn't hurt. And even in SEC play, we're basically a W per year better than we were in the 14 years before 2009.

But as the OP points out, it's really difficult for a program like us to make any sort of jump in league play. We keep hitting our head on that four conference win-ceiling. It'll be interesting to see if things change (for good or for ill) depending on how our league schedule shakes out once Oklahoma and Texas join in 2024.

A couple notes about the chart:
  • I think the all the numbers, totals, averages, etc... are correct but I make no claims or guarantees of accuracy and my legal team of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe stands ready to invoke the Fat Finger defense if challenged.
  • This is probably obvious but I ignore forfeits and/or vacated wins and use strictly on-field results.
  • Don't recall why I started with 1979 other than probably the fact that Bellard to Croom was an even 30 years.
  • I probably need to review the SEC Finish column. I don't know that I've been very consistent over the years about noting when we tied with someone else in the league standings.
Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

1688051740141.png

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Leach was just getting started. He lost 3 of 7 the first year during Covid with an all SEC schedule, while transitioning to the air raid and then .500 from then on. I was hoping to see what a ten year run would look like but that wasn't to be.

I think Leach ran a good overall program and not just the X's and O's of his offense. I still think that was more why his teams did well and his coaching tree is so expansive.

I think that is evidenced by his tree's success all the while running their own offenses that utilized parts of his air raid. Arnett coached the defense for 3 years under Leach and for six years with Rocky Long. I think Arnett is ready to do this but he is not an offensive guru. He has to hire the right guy and that is where I am stuck wondering just how good this team can be this year. 9 or 10 wins is possible but that offense has to work.

I know I am excited to see what happens and believe they can be really good and this year. The transition from Leach's offense to Barbay's should be a lot easier than going from Mullen, Moorhead and to Leach's pass heavy style. I voted 7-5 / 8-4 but I am hopeful for better.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Were you around before Mullen?

In the eight years before Mullen, we won more than 2 SEC games once. Over that eight-year period, the worst SEC record was Vanderbilt at 12-52. Our record was 13-51.
And that’s including the 2007 anomaly where we went 4-4. We had a 5 year stretch from 2002-2006 where we won 5 total SEC games.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
we have won 3 or 4 SEC games 12 times. Is there another SEC program that has traded in such a tight range? I thought Alabama, but their SEC record is worse than 7-1 more often than our SEC win total isn't 3 or 4.

With four non-con games that we should win, this trend suggests 7-5 or 8-4 is likely.
Your question was
Since Mullen took over what will our record be? You left out several sentences to connect the dots

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Your question was
Since Mullen took over what will our record be? You left out several sentences to connect the dots

I didn't know the poll question would be inserted between the subject and body. My bad.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
So tell me again, why would anybody be in favor of playing more SEC games per season?
Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
6-6 or better needs to be an option.

I know it is a spring game.... but we looked badly out of sync in the spring game. Thank goodness we have SELA game 1.

Anyways, I say somewhere between 6-8 wins.
Offensive woes in SG due to our bad azz D.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
A couple years ago, I wanted to see how much we'd improved as a program since Mullen took over so I put together this spreadsheet. We've definitely improved overall - an extra non-conference game each year since 2006 hasn't hurt. And even in SEC play, we're basically a W per year better than we were in the 14 years before 2009.

But as the OP points out, it's really difficult for a program like us to make any sort of jump in league play. We keep hitting our head on that four conference win-ceiling. It'll be interesting to see if things change (for good or for ill) depending on how our league schedule shakes out once Oklahoma and Texas join in 2024.

A couple notes about the chart:
  • I think the all the numbers, totals, averages, etc... are correct but I make no claims or guarantees of accuracy and my legal team of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe stands ready to invoke the Fat Finger defense if challenged.
  • This is probably obvious but I ignore forfeits and/or vacated wins and use strictly on-field results.
  • Don't recall why I started with 1979 other than probably the fact that Bellard to Croom was an even 30 years.
  • I probably need to review the SEC Finish column. I don't know that I've been very consistent over the years about noting when we tied with someone else in the league standings.
Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

View attachment 359643
This is great. Please do one on baseball…

Reactions: FQDawg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

I Dont Know Tim And Eric GIF by Adult Swim

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login