Since no one is talking about the NIT………

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
Why would we accept an invitation to play:
1. in a tournament that no one gives a **** about.
2. in a tournament in which we cannot even host because of renovations
3. With a team that is not even going to have the majority of its players back!

Did we even consider playing at another venue or did we just Bend over and say, “ok we will go on the road.” Another boneheaded decision by Cohen.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Nobody really declines NIT bids anymore. It's distasteful and frowned upon.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Bigger question is why are you so upset that we are playing? Oh that’s right, you’re not. You just have to continue to play your little schtick on here

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The decision to play in the NIT should be made based on what is in the long term best interest of the program.

It seems to me that if we are set on hiring a new coach the best decision is to decline.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
same thing as playing in a ****** bowl when you have just won 5 games. I think we should play as long as possible. what good does sitting you *** at home do?

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
The decision to play in the NIT should be made based on what is in the long term best interest of the program.

It seems to me that if we are set on hiring a new coach the best decision is to decline.

Florida disagrees with you too

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Did we even consider playing at another venue or did we just Bend over and say, “ok we will go on the road.” Another boneheaded decision by Cohen.

Drop Cohen an e-mail. I'm sure he'd love to hear your insightful thoughts on the matter. He might be so convinced by your august wisdom that he may reverse the decision.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
We lost to UNC in the 2010 NIT when Roy Williams was their coach.

We apparently lost to them in the regular season back in 1964, but Dean was the coach.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That’s really all it boils downs to for me. Personally, my view of the NIT varies greatly depending upon whether you’re a program on an upward trajectory vs one that’s either stagnant or headed downward. That said, if the team wants to be there and they’re going to take it seriously, let the kids play.

Assuming this is Howland’s last rodeo, it would be great to send him off after some kind of run

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Since the gloves are off in college athletics and moneywise anything goes. What would keep some big time wealthy promoter/hustler/entrepreneur from buying the NIT and upping the "rewards" for playing in it. Limit the field, offer huge purse and big NIL payments to players. Get in bed with a network and basically compete with the NCAA tournament. With everything else that's going on ...why not.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Says Fighting Irish little brother.

You tell me what we get out of playing. We lose money, coach and players leaving. It's not like we're building with what we've got. Nobody is going to go or really even watch. My opinion is always that if you want to play post season ball, earn an NCAA unless you've got a young team or one that's close to being very good. We have neither.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Downvote all you want but explain why we should do NIT with a lame duck coach?.

If we are making a coaching change, turning the roster over, can't play at home or draw a crowd if we do, what possible good does it do our program to prolong the current coaches tenure in a meaningless tournament?

Seems to me we would want to move on as quickly as possible.

But please explain why I am wrong. I would truly love to hear the other side.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You sure about that? They played in the NIT in 2013, the last time they didn’t make the NCAA or were eligible for the NIT.

Last edited:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
You tell me what we get out of playing. We lose money, coach and players leaving. It's not like we're building with what we've got. Nobody is going to go or really even watch. My opinion is always that if you want to play post season ball, earn an NCAA unless you've got a young team or one that's close to being very good. We have neither.

Who cares. If they want to play let them play. We never built on any NIT success we had anyway. We made it to the semis and followed it up by squeaking into the Big Dance and getting bounced round 1. We followed last year's final with the exact same record and a return trip. The whole improve yourself in the NIT to make a big run next year usually only happens when you have a bunch of experienced players returning like Colorado State did.

But in the age of the portal and no players willing to stick around, every team is basically on a one year cycle.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You sure about that? They played in the NIT in 2013, the last time they didn’t make the NCAA or were eligible for the NIT.

My memory did indeed fail me. Duke, Louisville, St. John's, Seton Hall and Xavier opted out of the NIT in Texas in 2020 due to Covid claims but many doubted Duke's reasoning.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
I’d rather play on the road than have to announce a crowd of 1800 people.
Wildest game ever played at the Hump was “who Dat Game” in the NIT —Alcorn beat Us on a last second shot by Larry Mr. Mean ( brain fart can’t remember last name ) smith -maybe.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
We were up by 10 with 4 minutes left in the game and kept throwing it away. The Alcorn band came into the Hump in the floor and marched around the whole court then marched all the way up in the Upped Deck….. Drums playing the whole time. The Hump hasn’t rocked like that since the Commodores can to the town the Thursday after we beat Bama 6-3 and Lionel Richie was with em.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
We were up by 10 with 4 minutes left in the game and kept throwing it away. The Alcorn band came into the Hump in the floor and marched around the whole court then marched all the way up in the Upped Deck….. Drums playing the whole time. The Hump hasn’t rocked like that since the Commodores can to the town the Thursday after we beat Bama 6-3 and Lionel Richie was with em.
Now there’s a memory - or two !!

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Maybe they just want to play more games as a team. What an amazing concept.

I can understand that but again, considering what is best for the program I don't think extending the tenure of a lame duck coach to play in the NIT is a good idea.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That has zero effect on a coaching search. Zero. The supposed two main targets are playing the NCAA tournament so they aren’t coming right now anyway.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login