Sinead O'Connor, 56

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Career advice: when your only hit song was not written by you but by Prince maybe it's a poor idea to go off-script at SNL and tear up a photo of the pope on live television.
She was just ahead of her time, really. How much longer did it take the Catholic church to even start to deal with the widescale sexual abuse issue? At the time, I thought she was crazy, now I see she was marginalized for standing up for something that few would. Now we also see a lot of sexual abuse cover ups in the protestant church and all of the sudden those looking holier than thou at the Catholic church have to deal with their own messes. Unfortunately they are often marginalizing victims too and pushing for NDAs around the abuse.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
While ripping up a pic of John Paul II on SNL in 1992 wasn't especially awesome of her, she was bringing attention to kids being molested by priests years before it caught most folk's attention.

RIP to a complicated soul with a beautiful voice

I was under the impression the ripping was over The Troubles.

Reactions: dorndawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Career advice: when your only hit song was not written by you but by Prince maybe it's a poor idea to go off-script at SNL and tear up a photo of the pope on live television.

She long had a punk attitude. There was no way she was going to cater to authority.

While ripping up a pic of John Paul II on SNL in 1992 wasn't especially awesome of her, she was bringing attention to kids being molested by priests years before it caught most folk's attention.

RIP to a complicated soul with a beautiful voice

She was quite possibly the major Irish cultural figure who criticized Catholicism before the decline of the church in Ireland.

75 percent of Irish attended mass in the mid-70s.

When Pope John Paul II visited Dublin a huge cross (bigger than the one at Berry's -- yeah THAT big) was put up at Phoenix Park.

Weekly attendance at mass was 36 percent as of 2016.

https://www.euronews.com/2023/02/02...-terminal-decline-since-sexual-abuse-scandals

She was just ahead of her time, really. How much longer did it take the Catholic church to even start to deal with the widescale sexual abuse issue? At the time, I thought she was crazy, now I see she was marginalized for standing up for something that few would. Now we also see a lot of sexual abuse cover ups in the protestant church and all of the sudden those looking holier than thou at the Catholic church have to deal with their own messes. Unfortunately they are often marginalizing victims too and pushing for NDAs around the abuse.

Bingo.

Reactions: dorndawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
For what it's worth, Sinn Féin (often associated with the IRA) received the most votes in the last Irish general election in 2020.

They forced Fianna Fail and Fine Gael to go into a Grand Coalition.
Oh for sure, Sinn Fein is a legit party now, but back then the IRA were still in the field in the Six Counties I believe. There are still a few die hards out there (I saw some "Real IRA" graffiti on the Falls Road back in 2010), but they are not supported or tolerated by Sinn Fein. She later took back that support calling herself stupid for doing it. I haven't seen this mentioned, but she converted to Islam in the last few years, without controversy.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oh for sure, Sinn Fein is a legit party now, but back then the IRA were still in the field in the Six Counties I believe. There are still a few die hards out there (I saw some "Real IRA" graffiti on the Falls Road back in 2010), but they are not supported or tolerated by Sinn Fein. She later took back that support calling herself stupid for doing it. I haven't seen this mentioned, but she converted to Islam in the last few years, without controversy.
Right.

Fianna Fail has been the establishment party tying itself closely to the Church.

Its church ties - and perhaps more importantly its role in Ireland's banking & financial crises - led to them being out of power in 2011 until that 2020 election.

Sinn Fein has gone up from 4 seats in 2007 to 37 today.

Reactions: L4Dawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I thought she was already dead. Whoops.
Well definitely controversial person. Some good some bad. Honestly don't give a crap about the pope. No different to me than any other high big wig political appointee even if it is a religious one. Last couple of popes have needed to be ripped a new one. And before that if they were covering up molestation or keeping it hush hush, they needed to be held accountable.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I thought she was already dead. Whoops.
Well definitely controversial person. Some good some bad. Honestly don't give a crap about the pope. No different to me than any other high big wig political appointee even if it is a religious one. Last couple of popes have needed to be ripped a new one. And before that if they were covering up molestation or keeping it hush hush, they needed to be held accountable.
Reportedly, she had been speaking of it. So....

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Had a kid one time whose mom was straight outta Ireland. Dad was a bartender/collector for the mob up in New York/New Jersey. Most awesomely crazy bunch I've ever been around. Cuss every breath. Beat the **** outta each other. Scared of nothing. The Irish grandmother would beat your *** before you could blink. Damn, I miss that family!

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Had a kid one time whose mom was straight outta Ireland. Dad was a bartender/collector for the mob up in New York/New Jersey. Most awesomely crazy bunch I've ever been around. Cuss every breath. Beat the **** outta each other. Scared of nothing. The Irish grandmother would beat your *** before you could blink. Damn, I miss that family!
I ❤️ Ireland

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No that is Alanis Morrisette.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Loved "Mandinka"from the Lion & The Cobra....was always here signature song for me. That album came out the year I graduated HS. Also, she did a couple of songs w/ The Edge that I liked. Want to say they worked on a soundtrack together....can't remember the name.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Loved "Mandinka"from the Lion & The Cobra....was always here signature song for me. That album came out the year I graduated HS. Also, she did a couple of songs w/ The Edge that I liked. Want to say they worked on a soundtrack together....can't remember the name.

The Messenger.

Reactions: lazlow

nsvltndog

Mar 30, 2010
Halloween 1992 MSU memories when my date suggested we go to Sig Ep Halloween party as the Pope & Sinead O'Connor a few weeks after SNL episode. Pope costume was pretty simple as she modified a Burger King crown w/ a white apparatus to make it look like Papal Headwear. The condom looking headgear that she wore to look like bald Sinead was top notch. Fun memories.

Maroon90

Sep 23, 2009

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login