Sleep Number Bed

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
This isn’t a question, but a recommendation for those of you who have considered getting one. My wife has metastatic cancer and for years she’s struggled sleeping, getting comfortable, feeling good in the mornings. So, we finally ordered one a couple months ago and it came in this week. It’s been better than I thought. It’s not so much how comfortable it is, but how it takes care of you when you sleep. I usually wake up 5 times a night a minimum and have two big dogs in the bed with us moving around. I don’t know if I woke up more than once the last couple of nights. Since sports are slow for us, I thought I’d share my opinion. It’s completely worth the expense. We spend more time in our beds than anywhere else throughout our lives, why not make it the most comfortable you can be?

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Whats the price run on these now?

We're close to being due a new mattress, but I can't stand going into those stores and every time I look online I get frustrated cause I'm not sure what all I need.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Do what I do, tell the wife to pick it out and just make sure it will be delivered and the old one hauled away so you don't have to lift a finger. As many hotels and mattresses as I've slept in/on the last 40 years I gave up caring which one she buys, I sleep great regardless.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
They start around 5 or 6k I think but don’t hold me to it. I saw on tv last night that they are having a big Memorial Day sale. We got the i8 smart bed for around 9k I think. It’s expensive but so far it’s been worth it. And if it works for my wife then it’s definitely worth it.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
We have had one for about 10 years now but I can't remember what model. At the time there were like 6 models with the big difference was between 2 pumps then it was what type of foam topper was in the mattress. We went with the lowest model with the better pump.

We haven't had a single problem with our pump or air bladders but it is getting to the point where we need to replace the internal foam topper. You have to remember they are basically two air mattress encased in sheets of foam. I keep going back and forth if it is worth it to find an aftermarket topper or start from scratch.

When we were first married my wife liked a super soft mattress and I preferred a firm mattress. Now we basically have the same sleep number after she figured out the super soft mattress was they cause of her back problems. All in all we have been happy with ours but we may look at a traditional mattress because of the cost of a new one.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We’ve had a Sleep Number for over 20 years. We just replaced it with a new one earlier this year. We even have one in the motorhome. I wouldn’t sleep on anything else. The bed in the motorhome is one of the cheaper basic models, i5 I think, and I honestly like it better than the one in the house. The great thing about the Sleep Number is that it can be whatever you want in a mattress. I ended up totally opposite of what I thought I wanted.

DudyDog

Jun 18, 2008
How long do they generally last? I see car mention replacing internal foam. Is that some form of "upkeep" that you do with them from time to time? Majority of us have only gone out and bought a new mattress similar to what we had and had them exchanged. Same for these? Something different?

Just thinking long term what to expect when this one needs replacing. Thanks

Sep 18, 2014
This isn’t a question, but a recommendation for those of you who have considered getting one. My wife has metastatic cancer and for years she’s struggled sleeping, getting comfortable, feeling good in the mornings. So, we finally ordered one a couple months ago and it came in this week. It’s been better than I thought. It’s not so much how comfortable it is, but how it takes care of you when you sleep. I usually wake up 5 times a night a minimum and have two big dogs in the bed with us moving around. I don’t know if I woke up more than once the last couple of nights. Since sports are slow for us, I thought I’d share my opinion. It’s completely worth the expense. We spend more time in our beds than anywhere else throughout our lives, why not make it the most comfortable you can be?

I'm not particularly fond of mine. Maybe I haven't found my number yet? I slept on memory foam before and wish I had stuck with it.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
How long do they generally last? I see car mention replacing internal foam. Is that some form of "upkeep" that you do with them from time to time? Majority of us have only gone out and bought a new mattress similar to what we had and had them exchanged. Same for these? Something different?

When we bough ours they claimed a 20 year life on the pump and bladder. I think the foam needing to be replaced is due to me being a larger guy and my sleep number is on the firm side so your mileage may vary. The side and middle bolsters are holing up fine. I have found a place online that sells a replacement foam but I'm not sure if sleep number does directly.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
We’ve slept on memory foam for a few years and it kills me. I need a firm mattress for my back and neck issues. Now we can both get what we need

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

my first one lasted about 20 years but the bladders were replaced once under warranty and the foam was replaced once by us. They have a foam layer under the top pad and on top of the air bladder. We didn’t get a SN replacement, wife bought a nice memory foam topper and I cut it to fit in place of the original foam layer. That bed is still in our guest room. The air bladders didn’t fail but ours were part of a small batch that failed to be treated with something that forms a anti mold, ani microbes barrier. After we received the recall we disassembled the mattress and both bladders had body outlines on them even though the cover and foam layer still looked perfect. I wish I’d taken a picture of it, it looked like the shroud of Turin on both sides. Since then we annually unzip the cover and vacuum everything, the cover and foam layer usually spend a day in the sun but no more body outlines.

rowdy53103

Aug 16, 2017
Whatever you do, don't pay the first price they quote. We got a quote for a King I8 Smart Bed, base, delivery/setup, protection pad and true temp layer back in March for around $9k. After we left the store without buying, the price dropped to around $7k if we came in before they closed that night. I just kept ignoring the texts. By the end of the week, it was $5100. Didn't end up buying one. It just felt like I was laying on a balloon or exercise ball the whole time I was in the store.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Never give them your real cell phone number. Go online and get a free burner number for calling and texting on wifi. I've got mine on an old cell phone so I don't have to even see or hear them if I don't want to. I use it for any online sign ups or purchasing, salesmen, girlfriends, Craigslist, etc

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I ordered one years ago. There was a problem getting it delivered on delivery day, so I cancelled my order. You would have thought they would have rented a haul truck to get it to me, but that was not in the equation. Me? I replaced it with another air bed, by natural form (they supplied the Hilton garden inns years ago). I saved $6000 by not going with a select comfort that leaks air.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I'm not particularly fond of mine. Maybe I haven't found my number yet? I slept on memory foam before and wish I had stuck with it.

My brother in law bought one and claimed it was the best thing ever. We tried it and weren't impressed. We also stayed at a bnb for a week on one. Neither my wife or me could get comfortable on them. I'll stick with good firm mattress. Even my brother in law only kept his for about 3 years and ended up with a temper pedic

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login