Sleepy Robinson

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I'm watching some old games on as I tend to do a couple of weeks before the season every year, and man, Sleepy Robinson running the option was just a thing of beauty.

He should be mentioned when we talk about MSU quarterbacks. If only he hadn't been hurt against Florida, what might have been. Just a devastating loss.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I'm watching some old games on as I tend to do a couple of weeks before the season every year, and man, Sleepy Robinson running the option was just a thing of beauty.

He should be mentioned when we talk about MSU quarterbacks. If only he hadn't been hurt against Florida, what might have been. Just a devastating loss.
He’s the first MSU quarterback I was conscious of, followed by Derrick Taite. I saw him in the loss in the Peach Bowl to UNC. Went to the loss against NC State a couple years later as well. Suffered through the loss to NC State. Suffered through the Cotton Bowl loss to Texas, despite dropping Ricky Williams for a two yard loss in his first rush. Watched us beat Clemson and think “Thank God, we finally won a bowl game.” Can’t wait to move back South and make some games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He’s the first MSU quarterback I was conscious of, followed by Derrick Taite. I saw him in the loss in the Peach Bowl to UNC. Went to the loss against NC State a couple years later as well. Suffered through the loss to NC State. Suffered through the Cotton Bowl loss to Texas, despite dropping Ricky Williams for a two yard loss in his first rush. Watched us beat Clemson and think “Thank God, we finally won a bowl game.” Can’t wait to move back South and make some games.
No Plump and Jordan???

I actually came of age in the Tony Shell era

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Can we really call that an era?

2-19 in the SEC from 88-90 for you youngsters who missed the good ole days of MSU gridiron excellence.
You don't know MSU Football misery unless you lived thru Albert Williams/Eric Underwood/ Mike Davis/Tony Shell - not that it was the fault of these QBs but we were not even close to competitive in the SEC. God Bless Jackie Wayne Sherrill.

Last edited:

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
You don't know MSU Football misery unless you lived thru the Albert Williams/Eric Underwood/ Mike Davis/Tony Shell - not that it was the fault of these QBs but we were not even close to competitive in the SEC. God Bless Jackie Wayne Sherrill.
And just to give us all some perspective on how bad things once were - Tony Shell was ranked THIRD in total passing after we went 11-22 in 1988, 1989, and 1990.

Attachments

• 75348-5574906Bk.jpg
    75348-5574906Bk.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
And just to give us all some perspective on how bad things once were - Tony Shell was ranked THIRD in total passing after we went 11-22 in 1988, 1989, and 1990.
He would throw for 300 and we'd lose 63-30. We had the slowest defensive backfield in the history of college football and were seemingly out-sized on both LOS

Reactions: knock him out john

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022
You don't know MSU Football misery unless you lived thru Albert Williams/Eric Underwood/ Mike Davis/Tony Shell - not that it was the fault of these QBs but we were not even close to competitive in the SEC. God Bless Jackie Wayne Sherrill.
Talk about an era look at 1966- 69. We didn’t win an SEC game. Won 6 games total.

• Wow
Reactions: knock him out john
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login