So Corey Dickerson is now the JA baseball coach.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Couple of thoughts on this:

1) They talk about this elusive state title, holy crap, MAIS 6A only has 6 teams - what the hell kinda championship is that? They need to merge with some other states and have a real playoff;

2) We talked about the plight of JA recently, location, all that.......are they just running out of players?

3) I don't normally think that high level players usually make the best coaches....but what he could do, is be a good recruiter.

It says he has a plan. I wonder if his plan is to be the Greenville Christian of baseball? Go into Jackson and recruit the best players available and crush the private school competition? Man, if he was smart, he'd immediately use those JA donations to kick up a few travel ball teams from the Jackson rec fields to form his funnel. But is there any talent left there? All the Jackson kids that play football and basketball have long since left for the burbs so Brandon and MC and NWR could win.

Nothing compares to Jackson area youth/high school sports competition.

ETA: Didn't Dakota Jordan go there? Were they not any good when he was there? And on that note….maybe this will be good for MSU crootin.

Last edited:

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

Couple of thoughts on this:

1) They talk about this elusive state title, holy crap, MAIS 6A only has 6 teams - what the hell kinda championship is that? They need to merge with some other states and have a real playoff;

2) We talked about the plight of JA recently, location, all that.......are they just running out of players?

3) I don't normally think that high level players usually make the best coaches....but what he could do, is be a good recruiter.

It says he has a plan. I wonder if his plan is to be the Greenville Christian of baseball? Go into Jackson and recruit the best players available and crush the private school competition? Man, if he was smart, he'd immediately use those JA donations to kick up a few travel ball teams from the Jackson rec fields to form his funnel.

Nothing compares to Jackson area youth/high school sports competition.

ETA: Didn't Dakota Jordan go there? Were they not any good when he was there? And on that note…. maybe this will be good for MSU crootin.
First, Corey is a good dude. I don't know him that well but have been around him enough and know enough people who are close to him to be confident in saying that. (This isn't to say I think you are talking negatively about him). I think JA has decided to go "all in" to borrow a phrase from another 6A MAIS school. Tanner Leggett and Brian Pettway will be a part of his staff as well as a couple of guys from the Yankees travel organization out of Madison.

JA has also made some interesting hires regarding their football coaching staff. Looking at the bios of some of their coaches, their appears to be a lot of college coaching experience. All of this to say, that doesn't automatically lead to success but the new leadership at JA appears to not be satisfied with the status quo. Does that mean that they will be recruiting the Jackson Metro area or surrounding areas for talent. Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First, Corey is a good dude. I don't know him that well but have been around him enough and know enough people who are close to him to be confident in saying that. (This isn't to say I think you are talking negatively about him). I think JA has decided to go "all in" to borrow a phrase from another 6A MAIS school. Tanner Leggett and Brian Pettway will be a part of his staff as well as a couple of guys from the Yankees travel organization out of Madison.

JA has also made some interesting hires regarding their football coaching staff. Looking at the bios of some of their coaches, their appears to be a lot of college coaching experience. All of this to say, that doesn't automatically lead to success but the new leadership at JA appears to not be satisfied with the status quo. Does that mean that they will be recruiting the Jackson Metro area or surrounding areas for talent. Maybe, maybe not.
Interesting. Pettway's Yankees team was legit.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
They also have 2-3 other Yankees coaches.

Josh Rogers, Justin Reed. One of my friends said in a group text that JA will have more coaches than players.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Corey worked out in Afjackistan a lot in the offseason. He's as good a hitting guy as you'll find. Had the chance to talk hitting with him and he's sharp. JA is already considering/researching a new location too. That's going to eventually happen IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
They just spent several million dollars on new construction on that campus. I think it was a science lab and some other academic building. That doesn't sound like they are looking to move.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Jackson Academy is certainly going All In because sports success is the only thing that can keep them above water in the long term.

School hopping in the private schools is happening at an alarming rate. I have a colleague that has a kid that started high school at JA, transferred to St. Andrews and is now finishing up at Prep.

We were on a club volleyball team with 12 players - only one had not changed schools (although a lot of it was the MAIS recruiting - JA and Hartfield are just getting all the talent from everyone but Brandon)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see how they move from that campus. That's a $40 million investment.
They just spent several million dollars on new construction on that campus. I think it was a science lab and some other academic building. That doesn't sound like they are looking to move.
Haha, that's @The Cooterpoot for you. No way they abandon that location, with all the money invested there. And if there is an area of Jackson that may survive and actually be viable to live, that's the one. I know it seems bad now, but never know what the future may bring. Any gentrification that happens north and west of there will also feed into it. Yeah, it'd be nice if it was farther south, but I don't see an area that would be worth it to relocate that they couldn't service from the current location.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jackson Academy is certainly going All In because sports success is the only thing that can keep them above water in the long term.

School hopping in the private schools is happening at an alarming rate. I have a colleague that has a kid that started high school at JA, transferred to St. Andrews and is now finishing up at Prep.

We were on a club volleyball team with 12 players - only one had not changed schools (although a lot of it was the MAIS recruiting - JA and Hartfield are just getting all the talent from everyone but Brandon)
I bet the parents of those kids probably complain about the transfer portal too.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It was a middle school building (was originally supposed to be science). No way they are leaving that location.

Reactions: SteelCurtain74

patdog

May 28, 2007
Haha, that's @The Cooterpoot And if there is an area of Jackson that may survive and actually be viable to live, that's the one. I know it seems bad now, but never know what the future may bring.
I think it's going to get worse instead of better going forward. Just drove right past a dead body in a parking lot not far from there on my way to work this morning. The apartments next to JA are filled with prostitutes and drug dealers. And we could be closer to Parham Bridges turning into Tennis Center South or Battlefield than you think.

Reactions: Ers236

Ers236

Oct 5, 2023
I think it's going to get worse instead of better going forward. Just drove right past a dead body in a parking lot not far from there on my way to work this morning. The apartments next to JA are filled with prostitutes and drug dealers. And we could be closer to Parham Bridges turning into Tennis Center South or Battlefield than you think.
i do too but not really anywhere for them to move to unless they want to move into Madison County or be out on Lakeland with Prep and Hartfield

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh I don't disagree. I've got doubts as to whether Jackson will ever gentrify at all - there just doesn't seem to be the interest in investment by anyone involved.

But if it ever does.....JA would be who benefits. I keep thinking Jackson has hit rock bottom but it does continue to keep digging.

Reactions: 77Dog and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Oh I don't disagree. I've got doubts as to whether Jackson will ever gentrify at all - there just doesn't seem to be the interest in investment by anyone involved.

But if it ever does.....JA would be who benefits. I keep thinking Jackson has hit rock bottom but it does continue to keep digging.
Only hope is a state takeover. It won't come from the city leaders or voters. Expansion of the Capitol Police jurisdiction to include the Lefleur East district will hopefully help. I think that's coming July 1.

Reactions: Ers236

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I was told they are researching a possible move. Not saying it's happening. That came from someone at the school. There are some hard core folks that would fight it for sure but eventually it's going to have to happen or it's going to die.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was told they are researching a possible move. Not saying it's happening. That came from someone at the school. There are some hard core folks that would fight it for sure but eventually it's going to have to happen or it's going to die.
Far cry from this:
JA is already considering/researching a new location too. That's going to eventually happen IMO.

Ladies and gentlemen, take note. THIS is how you start a 6pack rumor.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder how many times that brick wall that surrounds JA has been struck by stray bullets...

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
JA also hired Josh Demoney as an assistant baseball coach. He played at Meridian CC and under Raffo at Arkansas St. He is a pretty sought after hitting instructor at GRIT in Flowood.

Anon1714059199

Apr 25, 2024
Brandon, NW Rankin, Pearl, Prep, JA, MRA, Hartfield, St. Andrews are all fighting for the same players. And by players, I'm talking mostly pitchers. If you got 1 ace you can win a lot of baseball games in high school. If you got 2 your probably going 2-3 rounds deep. More than that and you are most likely playing in Pearl. Makes it hard in the metro unless you got an inside lane like Prep and Andrews do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Brandon, NW Rankin, Pearl, Prep, JA, MRA, Hartfield, St. Andrews are all fighting for the same players. And by players, I'm talking mostly pitchers. If you got 1 ace you can win a lot of baseball games in high school. If you got 2 your probably going 2-3 rounds deep. More than that and you are most likely playing in Pearl. Makes it hard in the metro unless you got an inside lane like Prep and Andrews do.
Probably because they all wear out their arms playing year round travel ball from 5U on up.

@dawgstudent

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login