So give ALL the new hires a letter grade (incl. AD)

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I have no clue. No one truly knows. It’ll take months to years to determine if these were successful hires.

Amen. No point at all in grading anything on completely subjective criteria that fans and media assign before games are even played.

Signed,

Chris Lemonis and Joe Moorhead

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Time to get the next generation of leaders in Maroon and White. Wish them luck.
They'll make some mistakes, but the potential is there.
Folks need to give as much POSTIVE support and energy moving forward. We'll all know when it's actually time to jump ship/meltdown. TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
B-
We missed on the OC we wanted. Got a great OL coach, got a meh OC, Bump is a question mark IMO regardless if he's a Bulldog. Looks like we kept Washington, which is a plus. No issues on defensive side. We loaded up on MS recruiters, which is cool, but also limits us IMO.
Hope they're an A+ next fall. Damn happy to get away from the specific type of Air Raid we ran.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I'll give it an A. Seems like we hired some hungry coaches and I expect recruiting to pick up. I don't think many teams will outwork this bunch.
Yeah, because winning isn’t important; just working hard.*** Once you get above Little League i don’t think they give it Hard Work trophies any more. I’ve never seen a hard Work trophy in Division 1 football but I have seen the Winner’s Trophy. That’s the one I want for us.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm going to give the coaching hires an A+.

I was concerned about changing the offensive staff, since Arnett himself was chosen to prevent change, as we had a very old team coming back that we needed to keep together. But considering the recruiting prowess of Friend and Bumphis, and the actual offense Barbay brings, it's hard to see any negatives, unless Tulu actually leaves (and that's more on his own stupidity).

Bartoo is very high on Barbay and he should mesh well with Rogers and our current personnel. It appears Arnett had a plan and stuck with it. The defensive hires are obviously good.

AD? Eh, I wanted Benko because I like him, but that's my own bias, and I'm certainly OK with Selman. As long as they are ambitious it's hard to know. I'll give this one an A+ as well, because if Keenum liked him better than Benko, then he must be good.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
B-
We missed on the OC we wanted. Got a great OL coach, got a meh OC, Bump is a question mark IMO regardless if he's a Bulldog. Looks like we kept Washington, which is a plus. No issues on defensive side. We loaded up on MS recruiters, which is cool, but also limits us IMO.
Hope they're an A+ next fall. Damn happy to get away from the specific type of Air Raid we ran.
Same on that last sentence.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have no clue. No one truly knows. It’ll take months to years to determine if these were successful hires.
This is correct. The AD hire seems fine… OC hire seems fine. I still have a problem with Arnett. No reason to think he will be a disaster but we will never know the potential coach we passed on by rushing a hire of Arnett

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, because winning isn’t important; just working hard.*** Once you get above Little League i don’t think they give it Hard Work trophies any more. I’ve never seen a hard Work trophy in Division 1 football but I have seen the Winner’s Trophy. That’s the one I want for us.

Well hard work equals winning dipshit. You think lazy people win? You must have missed the Croom years. And when I say nobody will outwork them, I'm talking about recruiting, game planning and such which is what it takes to win.

was21

May 29, 2007
Too early to grade. OTOH, what's outstanding is the youthfulness of all hires across the board, which is an unusual move by Mississippi State. Time will tell whether it was the right move. Hoping that it is. With transfer portal and NIL, it may be a good one since younger folk seem to adapt to change better than old farts and retreads.

Reactions: Indndawg

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Too early to grade. OTOH, what's outstanding is the youthfulness of all hires across the board, which is an unusual move by Mississippi State. Time will tell whether it was the right move. Hoping that it is. With transfer portal and NIL, it may be a good one since younger folk seem to adapt to change better than old farts and retreads.
yep.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Everybody gets an I right now

Ask this question again in about three years.

Except maybe for Selmon. His answer might arrive a year earlier.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Gotta love giving our new OC an F before he has even coached a single down for us. And, if that grade is based on his resume, then I must have been looking at the wrong one. With fans like ours, who needs enemies?
Then wouldn’t that apply to every poster in this thread? The entire thread’s premise is letter grade for people that have done no work at State.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Well hard work equals winning dipshit. You think lazy people win? You must have missed the Croom years. And when I say nobody will outwork them, I'm talking about recruiting, game planning and such which is what it takes to win.
I don’t think you meant to say, “Well hard work equals winning dipshit.”

You probably meant to say, “Well, hard work equals winning, dipshit.”

I never said or inferred that lazy people win. I think lazy people are some of the ones who didn’t pay attention when they were teaching grammar and punctuation in elementary and high school. Illegal aliens picking fruit in California work hard but do you call that winning? Reading comprehension seems to be easier for some than it is for others.

If working hard at “recruiting, game planning and such“ is “what it takes to win“, does that mean that we’ve never done those things? I only ask because we’ve never won a National or SEC Championship in football.

Maybe you have a crystal ball (and I hope you’re correct about their hard work) but, at this point, it remains to be seen whether anyone will outwork them. BTW, how would you quantify that anyway? Please be specific.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
This is a major concern!
There are 5 NFL coaches under 40. The days of 70 year old greybeards is coming to an end. With the cost of buyouts these days many of these coaches are going to make their fortunes by 50 and then go on to the house or the broadcast booth.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login