So how is Notre Dame gonna play this thing with B1G and SEC shutting them out?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
B1G is about to cut the cord on the OOC P5 opponent. This may mean they will go to 10 conference games, or stay at 9. But we know they likely won't be playing Notre Dame.

SEC will probably do something similar, none of them will be chomping at the bit to take on a game like ND. Especially Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky who may already have to play a P5 OOC, conference mandate or not. I know some are scheduled, but I bet they go away.

We know Notre Dame wants to, and can financially, remain independent, so they won't join the ACC. But they'll continue to play 5 of them per year. They'll play Navy, and a couple of G5s or similar like they've now started doing. So now they have to find 4 more games per year outside the SEC and B1G.

We know Notre Dame is probably too cool to play the Big 12 remnants. So they are gonna have some alliance with the Pac-12 schools now? Those are the only ones that they'll view as their equal.

So we're seeing the split begin to happen. SEC, B1G, Pac-10 and ACC with Notre Dame, then the rest, kinda led by the Big 12. I actually see the ACC trying to poach West Virginia just to get to 15 plus ND. I don't see the Pac-10 going after Big 12 schools.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think the Big 12 is a more viable ongoing option than the Pac. I think it's a lot more likely the Big 12 picks up teams from the Pac than the reverse.

For ND, I think they should be concerned, but there are a couple of things may bail ND out in these scenarios:
1. NBC is putting up a primetime Big Ten game as part of their new media package. NBC being Notre Dame's major media partner could help encourage both sides to schedule a Big Ten/ND game every year (or few years).
2. The Pac floundering in the ether. Until Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, and Cal are locked in somewhere, I think they are 'big enough' for ND to put on the schedule and the Pac teams will likely be open to anything that bolsters their CFP resume.

The only other thing I could see that would entice Big Ten and SEC teams to play Notre Dame would be sponsored 'money' neutral site games in NFL stadiums in weeks 0-3. I don't know financially what it would take with the new media contracts to get, say, Texas or Oklahoma to play ND in Arlington and/or Tennessee or Auburn to play ND at the new Titans stadium, but I feel like that number exists somewhere.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
B1G is about to cut the cord on the OOC P5 opponent. This may mean they will go to 10 conference games, or stay at 9. But we know they likely won't be playing Notre Dame.

SEC will probably do something similar, none of them will be chomping at the bit to take on a game like ND. Especially Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky who may already have to play a P5 OOC, conference mandate or not. I know some are scheduled, but I bet they go away.

We know Notre Dame wants to, and can financially, remain independent, so they won't join the ACC. But they'll continue to play 5 of them per year. They'll play Navy, and a couple of G5s or similar like they've now started doing. So now they have to find 4 more games per year outside the SEC and B1G.

We know Notre Dame is probably too cool to play the Big 12 remnants. So they are gonna have some alliance with the Pac-12 schools now? Those are the only ones that they'll view as their equal.

So we're seeing the split begin to happen. SEC, B1G, Pac-10 and ACC with Notre Dame, then the rest, kinda led by the Big 12. I actually see the ACC trying to poach West Virginia just to get to 15 plus ND. I don't see the Pac-10 going after Big 12 schools.
champing

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

Well just because the B1G no longer requires a p5 game doesn’t mean they can’t still schedule one, right? The Michigan and SC matchups have been played forever, have you seen something to suggest they wont continue? Big brand B1G and SEC teams probably wont hesitate to schedule ND in a home/home or neutral site game (other than maybe the ones you mentioned who have a permanent ACC opponent).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well just because the B1G no longer requires a p5 game doesn’t mean they can’t still schedule one, right? The Michigan and SC matchups have been played forever, have you seen something to suggest they wont continue? Big brand B1G and SEC teams probably wont hesitate to schedule ND in a home/home or neutral site game (other than maybe the ones you mentioned who have a permanent ACC opponent).
Until it's proven that the playoff committee respects SOS, then they won't do anymore than they have to.

Plus it's clear that the B1G is banding together to protect themselves. They won't help ND. The ND/SC thing is likely over.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
ND has already been shunning the SEC for decades. That home and home they had with UGA a few years back was the only time they’ve scheduled a regular season SEC matchup in many many years.

They’ll still get interest from enough B1G and ACC schools to make a decent enough schedule. They never play a ton of powerhouses though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are you kidding? Notre Dame won’t have any problem finding good games to schedule. They’ll be playing Big 10, SEC and PAC 12 teams for a long long time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the Big 12 is a more viable ongoing option than the Pac. I think it's a lot more likely the Big 12 picks up teams from the Pac than the reverse.

For ND, I think they should be concerned, but there are a couple of things may bail ND out in these scenarios:
1. NBC is putting up a primetime Big Ten game as part of their new media package. NBC being Notre Dame's major media partner could help encourage both sides to schedule a Big Ten/ND game every year (or few years).
2. The Pac floundering in the ether. Until Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, and Cal are locked in somewhere, I think they are 'big enough' for ND to put on the schedule and the Pac teams will likely be open to anything that bolsters their CFP resume.

The only other thing I could see that would entice Big Ten and SEC teams to play Notre Dame would be sponsored 'money' neutral site games in NFL stadiums in weeks 0-3. I don't know financially what it would take with the new media contracts to get, say, Texas or Oklahoma to play ND in Arlington and/or Tennessee or Auburn to play ND at the new Titans stadium, but I feel like that number exists somewhere.
I think the 4 corners schools are gone to the Big 12 when they see how disappointing this new media deal is going to be.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think the 4 corners schools are gone to the Big 12 when they see how disappointing this new media deal is going to be.
I agree. I think the Pac’s only hope is that Amazon or Apple overpay. I don’t think Disney, NBC, WBD, or Paramount currently have the funds to make a needle-moving offer.

Plus, Colorado and Utah have only been in the Pac for about 13 years. I don’t think they have the loyalty to the brand that the west coast schools might.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
The Big 10 will still continue to schedule ND. Those will be some of the most valuable games on Fox. USC will not quit playing them. The bigger brands will not quit playing them. Going back on the Power 5 non-con rule is to appease the schools that fight for a bowl eligibility. Will be part of the negotiations in the SEC to get schools like State to agree to 9 conference games.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree. I think the Pac’s only hope is that Amazon or Apple overpay. I don’t think Disney, NBC, WBD, or Paramount currently have the funds to make a needle-moving offer.

Plus, Colorado and Utah have only been in the Pac for about 13 years. I don’t think they have the loyalty to the brand that the west coast schools might.
The fact that here we are 6 months later & they still don’t have a contract isn’t a good sign for the PAC-12.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Disagree. The B1G is slow playing.

They simply have the option to not play Notre Dame much like the Irish don’t have the option to play them.

All B1G schools will play Notre Dame in a heartbeat (and let’s not forget— U$C will be in the B1G).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
ND has already been shunning the SEC for decades. That home and home they had with UGA a few years back was the only time they’ve scheduled a regular season SEC matchup in many many years.

They’ll still get interest from enough B1G and ACC schools to make a decent enough schedule. They never play a ton of powerhouses though.
The Irish learned over 40 years ago not to play an SEC team on the road in September.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I have always loved PAC football but I think that league is about to fold. The key is what the four corners schools do. If they stay in the PAC might be able to survive in a very reduced state. If they bolt to the BIG 12, and it really makes sense for them to do so, then it's done. Washington and Oregan will wind up going with them or going to the BIG 10. that leaves Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have always loved PAC football but I think that league is about to fold. The key is what the four corners schools do. If they stay in the PAC might be able to survive in a very reduced state. If they bolt to the BIG 12, and it really makes sense for them to do so, then it's done. Washington and Oregan will wind up going with them or going to the BIG 10. that leaves Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State
If the Big 10 wanted Washington or Oregon, why not take them when they took USC & UCLA? With their huge TV contract, could Washington & Oregon add enough revenue to make it work? If recent reports are to be believed, the SEC may be finding that even Texas & Oklahoma barely adds enough revenue to make it work.

Last edited:

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I have always loved PAC football but I think that league is about to fold. The key is what the four corners schools do. If they stay in the PAC might be able to survive in a very reduced state. If they bolt to the BIG 12, and it really makes sense for them to do so,Lo then it's done. Washington and Oregan will wind up going with them or going to the BIG 10. that leaves Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington State.
Losing UCLA and USC was a major hit....much like OK and TX going to the SEC. The PAC10 should have gotten BYU before the BIG12 did. Would have been a better fit. I do like conferences sticking to a roughly geographical area. USC and UCLA has blown that model up. So did WVA going into the BIG12. WVA would have been a better fit for the SEC.....much more conservative state and reasonably in our area.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Losing UCLA and USC was a major hit....much like OK and TX going to the SEC. The PAC10 should have gotten BYU before the BIG12 did. Would have been a better fit. I do like conferences sticking to a roughly geographical area. USC and UCLA has blown that model up. So did WVA going into the BIG12. WVA would have been a better fit for the SEC.....much more conservative state and reasonably in our area.
Nah. BYU to the PAC-12 was always a no-go.

They didn’t fit the profile.

And now there are only two schools in the Pacific states not in the conference that fit it: San Diego State — roughly equivalent academic wise to Washington State and… Gonzaga.

The next best fit is strangely SMU.

Private school, secular (they’re no longer strictly Methodist), and in Texas— a high growth area.

But no one really likes SMU.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Disagree. The B1G is slow playing.

They simply have the option to not play Notre Dame much like the Irish don’t have the option to play them.

All B1G schools will play Notre Dame in a heartbeat (and let’s not forget— U$C will be in the B1G).
B1G won’t be playing ND. That’s the point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is new news. I bet a lot of those contracts gets voided. Some way or another. I checked that site before I posted, highly doubt those SEC games get played at minimum. Too much money getting thrown around

patdog

May 28, 2007
B1G won’t be playing ND. That’s the point.
Of course the big 10 will be playing Notre Dame. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. They’re also going to play a lot of SEC teams, and of course 5 ACC teams per year. It’s pretty safe to say Notre Dame will be ok.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Of course the big 10 will be playing Notre Dame. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise. They’re also going to play a lot of SEC teams, and of course 5 ACC teams per year. It’s pretty safe to say Notre Dame will be ok.
Why? Bc they always have? Bad way to looks at things.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is new news. I bet a lot of those contracts gets voided. Some way or another. I checked that site before I posted, highly doubt those SEC games get played at minimum. Too much money getting thrown around
Yep. The SEC and B1G are going to be so upset at Notre Dame that they’ll refuse to play Southern Miss.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Guess we will see. Certainly appears to me that ND is being left out of the B1G and SEC. The real money will talk.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
At the end of the day, every conference would love to have ND, so they will ride their indy path until they cant and then negotiate between the SEC and BIG

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
At the end of the day, every conference would love to have ND, so they will ride their indy path until they cant and then negotiate between the SEC and BIG
Yes, the conferences would like to have them - in the conference. But since they won’t be, both the SEC and B1G don’t need them on the schedule. The ACC and PAC still do.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login