So long Strange Brew sign

Feb 12, 2013
The new sign will still have funny/sarcastic comments on it.. it's not like they cannot have a sign anymore.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m not a Lynn Spruill fan but this ain’t on her.

You can’t give Strange Brew an exception to what everyone else is required to do.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
And also Lynn Spruill doesn’t hold the power in Starkville, the aldermen do.

Well no one wants to be that guy, but..... Strangebrew knew this was coming for years. It sucks, but the ordinance was passed and the signage is required to come down. If anything, their sign was blocked by their own canopy anyway.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Strangebrew has not handled these recent spats with the city well. They had over a decade to get into compliance. Plus, the all the other signs surrounding them meet code. They tried to bully the city into an exception with their social media following which is pretty ******.

Now, they’re throwing fits because of the parking meters other Starkville businesses requested. They seem like the spoiled kid in a classroom crying and throwing crayons.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Cry me a river. They have had years to make changes to become compliant and they chose not to.

The ordinance was passed to make Starkville a more appealing place to live. It seems like they are the only business who couldn't figure out how to make the necessary changes. But that doesn't mean Lynn Spruill doesn't suck.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
I'll never understand what was so special about this sign in his eyes?

Cause he wrote funny **** on it? His whole tirade on twitter has been childish to say the least. As someone who loves to support local businesses...he could have handled this better.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Strangebrew has not handled these recent spats with the city well. They had over a decade to get into compliance. Plus, the all the other signs surrounding them meet code. They tried to bully the city into an exception with their social media following which is pretty ******.

Now, they’re throwing fits because of the parking meters other Starkville businesses requested. They seem like the spoiled kid in a classroom crying and throwing crayons.

Bingo. It's not a good look, especially combined with this http://www.reflector-online.com/news/article_f2234990-8e71-11eb-8d91-d3be32c478c2.html

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
They certainly could have handled it better on their end, however, Lynn loves to needle anytime she can. I don't like the idea of forcing a small business to spend money, its hard enough as is. There should have been either a grandfather clause or some sort of tax incentive / rebate for the cost. I love Starkville, but it has never been the most business friendly city. As for the reflector article, the employees should have been fired, they knew the policy. Employee theft tends to snowball if allowed, pastry would / could into cash out of the register down the road.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s a little more to that story than just her eating a pastry but they did handle that poorly publicly no question.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Cry me a river. They have had years to make changes to become compliant and they chose not to.

The ordinance was passed to make Starkville a more appealing place to live. It seems like they are the only business who couldn't figure out how to make the necessary changes. But that doesn't mean Lynn Spruill doesn't suck.

There are still businesses all up and down 12 with the tall signs. They are far from the only ones unless they all got a jump on it this weekend.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
They have until the end of the month to take them down or they get a 1K per day fine.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
So, what was wrong with the sign? What made it be out of compliance?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm guessing the square footage is what ruled Strange Brew out, not the height. Mickey Dees may be in compliance.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I'm guessing the square footage is what ruled Strange Brew out, not the height. Mickey Dees may be in compliance.

All about the height as I understand. Saw Brewski's tall Marathon sign laying on the ground last week so it appears they are coming down including McD's I would assume.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
They will all be down soon. I just didn't hear as much of an uproar from the others. I mean it sucks, but it's just some changes that needed to be made.

Sep 15, 2009
Cause he wrote funny **** on it? His whole tirade on twitter has been childish to say the least. As someone who loves to support local businesses...he could have handled this better.
He couldn't have handled it better. He has a following and he knows it. This makes them even more loyal customers. Brilliant move. Everyone thought when Starbucks bully moved in across the street, poor lil Strangebrew was going under. Not only did that not happen but his business is growing. He is a marketing genius.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
They had 10 years to get a sign.

But the pastry story is hilarious to me. Some girl made up some texts and then tried to 17 strange brew.

I bought $100 worth of gift cards the next day.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. Any time you see someone post on social media "they fired me for something trivial" or "they arrested me for something trivial", I immediately know there's more to the story.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Oonly one thing holding thins back in Starkville, Board of Aldermen. Town could be so much more but being held back by misguided individuals with NO vision.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Businesses have an additional 2 years to comply if the initial cost of the sign was more than $250,000. I wonder if McDonald’s sign qualifies for that (because what other sign would? They didn’t put that exemption in there for nothing)

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019

Rode by there today when it was gone…area looked 100 times better

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sprint Mart has a massive one out by The Highlands that was designed to be seen from Hwy 82 travelers that's maybe a year + old, what a waste of $$. If I'm in a town I don't know I'm glad to see higher signage so I can see my choices or locate a business easier when I get off the road

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
Sprint Mart has a massive one out by The Highlands that was designed to be seen from Hwy 82 travelers that's maybe a year + old, what a waste of $$. If I'm in a town I don't know I'm glad to see higher signage so I can see my choices or locate a business easier when I get off the road

I believe (not 100% positive) they are in the county....for now

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Annexation just went into effect. They’ll get 10(or 12) years from that date to bring it into compliance, unless they get a variance. It’s possible they could, there’s an exception if you’re next to certain parts of 82/12/25 (the high speed limit parts).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login