So this happened to us on Friday…

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
So Friday, on the way down to the beach, while on I-10, a decent chunk of wood flew out of a pickup. Hit our windshield and a piece splintered off and stayed lodged in it. We could hear wind while driving and there was a small amount of glass inside our vehicle. My wife was luckily looking down but she got glass on her. We stopped a few miles later about 40 miles from Destin. Vacuumed out the glass and waited about an hour for a tow truck but decided to drive the final 40 miles to Destin going about 45 mph.

We would just get a rental for our time down here and get the windshield replaced Monday here in Destin. Our car is about 3 weeks old. We called about replacing our windshield but they don’t make after market windshields yet. So you have to order it directly from Toyota. They said they are on back order and it could take 2-3 weeks so we decided to tow it back to Jackson. Now we needed a one way rental and apparently getting a one way rental isn’t easy in Destin during Thanksgiving. We had to go to 3 different places.

The car was picked up yesterday and brought back to Jackson. Honestly and not to sound too dramatic - we are lucky to be alive. Something flying through windshield isn’t a fun thing. But at the end of the day, we made it to Destin and it’s been wonderful weather.

I also have to say my agent with Farm Bureau has been awesome to deal with. They have made this process as easy as it could possibly be. Go with the home team.

Attachments

• IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7495.jpeg
    IMG_7495.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
So Friday, on the way down to the beach, while on I-10, a decent chunk of wood flew out of a pickup. Hit our windshield and a piece splintered off and stayed lodged in it. We could hear wind while driving and there was a small amount of glass inside our vehicle. My wife was luckily looking down but she got glass on her. We stopped a few miles later about 40 miles from Destin. Vacuumed out the glass and waited about an hour for a tow truck but decided to drive the final 40 miles to Destin going about 45 mph.

We would just get a rental for our time down here and get the windshield replaced Monday here in Destin. Our car is about 3 weeks old. We called about replacing our windshield but they don’t make after market windshields yet. So you have to order it directly from Toyota. They said they are on back order and it could take 2-3 weeks so we decided to tow it back to Jackson. Now we needed a one way rental and apparently getting a one way rental isn’t easy in Destin during Thanksgiving. We had to go to 3 different places.

The car was picked up yesterday and brought back to Jackson. Honestly and not to sound too dramatic - we are lucky to be alive. Something flying through windshield isn’t a fun thing. But at the end of the day, we made it to Destin and it’s been wonderful weather.

I also have to say my agent with Farm Bureau has been awesome to deal with. They have made this process as easy as it could possibly be. Go with the home team.
Not good. Grateful you guys were not injured.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Good luck on getting a late model windshield. My wife’s late model car is waiting on a GM emissions part that evidently has been on back order for months and there is a queue of thousands in front of her.

It’s just sitting at the dealerships’ yard while I’m out here making these payments….

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Scary crap. Back when we lived in ms. We had some idiot kids throw rocks from side of interstate in pearl and shattered our sunroof. Scared the **** out of us. No witness and kids weren't willing to plead guilty. So nothing ever happened even though kids had admitted to several at school they did it

Wood through windshield is crazy. I always hate getting behind people hauling crap in their truck.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
The bad luck comes in 3’s allegedly.
But.

I recommend a dash cam. It’s your word against theirs in all facets, until you break out the footage.

Reactions: Fritz!

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Here in Mississippi the smart truck business owners forge friendships with law enforcement and MDOT and pretty much have free rein to drive around with no tail lights, no tag, etc etc. They might even try and blame you for something falling off his truck. Even with video proof, it might be an uphill battle against the money.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

That sux! Glad y’all are safe!

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
So you skipped the big game with the mighty Bullpups vs Golden Cluckers in lieu of a trip to Destin? :eek:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Recently bought a new Subaru. The dealer told us up front, your insurance is not going to pay for this windshield if it breaks. With all the sensors on new cars you don’t want an aftermarket windshield if, that’s a big if, there is even an aftermarket one available. The OEM windshield is crazy expensive so Subaru sells a windshield warranty. For $500 the original windshield is warrantied for 8 years.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Glad you're okay. Nothing worst than an *** hole who doesn't secure the items in his pickup bed or his flat bed trailer. One of my nephews was driving his jeep on an interstate when a pickup with a flat bed carrying unsecured truck tires hit a bump and a tire flew off the trailer and hit the front end of my nephew's jeep. The jeep was about totaled and of course the guy in the truck never new it happen. He's probably still looking for that tire.

BTW, the McAfee virus scan interrupted this post three times while I was typing.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
The bad luck comes in 3’s allegedly.
But.

I recommend a dash cam. It’s your word against theirs in all facets, until you break out the footage.

Glad you & yours are ok DS.

Now that I got that out of the way.***

Slight hijack, I've been thinking about these more & more. Are they worth it? Aren't they ridiculously expensive?

Seriously, DS that's crazy scary.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012

I thought you were a Seagrove Beach guy. You gave me a tip on a condo years ago. Owner lived in Ky but she sold it a few years ago.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
As kids are older, we stay across from Baytowne. More to do.
I understand, I have been going to Rose Mary. We had a nice condo real close to the end of 30A and on the beach. Traffic wasn’t a problem either.
Btw, the owner I mentioned was very nice but scatter brain crazy. LOL

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Glad you & yours are ok DS.

Now that I got that out of the way.***

Slight hijack, I've been thinking about these more & more. Are they worth it? Aren't they ridiculously expensive?

Seriously, DS that's crazy scary.
Nah, Walmart had one for $25 that lasted me years.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I understand, I have been going to Rose Mary. We had a nice condo real close to the end of 30A and on the beach. Traffic wasn’t a problem either.
Btw, the owner I mentioned was very nice but scatter brain crazy. LOL
She really was. Very unresponsive but that spot was clutch.

Here is the one right next door. 7 steps and you are on the beach. When you are carrying kid **** to the beach, I was all for the lesser walk.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Love the area, and yes to great location to get on beach.

it is so much crowded down there now. But like I said earlier, Rose Mary was great getting around especially back on main highway.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Here’s one from the inside of the car a few minutes after it happened. We had yet to stop and vacuum out the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 9
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login