So we have spent tonight watching old school movies

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
jackie chan GIF
Started with Planes, Trains, and automobiles. Currently watching Rush Hour.

I forgot how damn great these movies weee. Might spend the next couple of days doing this

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Midnight Run is one of my favorite old school movies.

Not Schwarzenegger, but possibly De Nro’s most underrated movie!

Reactions: dorndawg
Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes, I cannot believe the changes in the films nominated for Best Picture each year.
Best Picture nominees are absolute garbage these days. I know old man rant, but it's just true.

1995 Best Picture Nominees:

Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Four Weddings and a Funeral

All Star Line ups like these don't exist anymore.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Best Picture nominees are absolute garbage these days. I know old man rant, but it's just true.

1995 Best Picture Nominees:

Forrest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Four Weddings and a Funeral

All Star Line ups like these don't exist anymore.
I think it’s hit & miss every few years. The 1997 field was pretty weak while 2020 was a decent line-up:
Parasite
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

One problem is that a few years ago, they opened up the field to include more mainstream movies, so we end up with sнit like Avatar 2 being a best picture nominee.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’m hearing good things about The Iron Claw, but I haven’t been to see it yet.
Wrestling is a very niche genre not a whole family type flick or a big brand name type film apart of a saga or something. It looks decent but I don't think I'll go to the theater to watch it. It will be streaming for rent in a few months. It's got to be a good film worthy of big screen or imax for me to want to go. I got a good set up at home for everything else.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just talked about this last night. We would typically go to the movies on Christmas night but there isn't a dang thing I'd spend money on to go see right now. Not blockbuster worthy to me anyways
I was younger, and my kids were still at home. We spent every Christmas night at the theater at that time, usually watching the latest Harry Potter movie. It's a tradition I began long before I remarried and still did it until just a few years ago when the movie offering got so terrible.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Wrestling is a very niche genre not a whole family type flick or a big brand name type film apart of a saga or something. It looks decent but I don't think I'll go to the theater to watch it. It will be streaming for rent in a few months. It's got to be a good film worthy of big screen or imax for me to want to go. I got a good set up at home for everything else.
Wonka?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Just talked about this last night. We would typically go to the movies on Christmas night but there isn't a dang thing I'd spend money on to go see right now. Not blockbuster worthy to me anyways
I dunno, count me in for a movie directed by Michael Mann starring Adam Driver & Penelope Cruz that's about driving Ferrari's around Italy

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Perhaps but not a huge fan of the story but it's already had two different telling of the same story from different perspectives. Not really a new story or fresh idea but that's probably the family flick blockbuster. Other offerings aqua man? No thanks. Most of the dc films have been trash.

did anyone catch napoleon? I was surprised to see it had already left most theaters.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Perhaps but not a huge fan of the story but it's already had two different telling of the same story from different perspectives. Not really a new story or fresh idea but that's probably the family flick blockbuster. Other offerings aqua man? No thanks. Most of the dc films have been trash.

did anyone catch napoleon? I was surprised to see it had already left most theaters.
Re: Wonka - fair. I’m not expecting a lot out of it. You’re right that there’s nothing “big” in the theaters I’m excited to see.

I have no desire to see Aquaman either. The first one was garbage and I can’t imagine this one will be any better.

I want to see Napoleon, but I’m gonna wait until it’s free on Apple TV+.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

I saw Napoleon. It was pretty good but not everything I hoped it would be. Joaquin was great, of course. Shoulda waited for it to hit the home screen.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Aug 22, 2012
I think it’s hit & miss every few years. The 1997 field was pretty weak while 2020 was a decent line-up:
Parasite
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

One problem is that a few years ago, they opened up the field to include more mainstream movies, so we end up with sнit like Avatar 2 being a best picture nominee.
You are right that's not a terrible list that year.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
In all seriousness, the Godzilla movie out now is pretty damn good and definitely worth seeing in theater. My son is a huge fan so took him to see it - possibly the best Godzilla film I’ve seen (he’s made me watch probably a dozen or more of them). There were maybe two things I’d have liked to have seen done differently, but otherwise it was a fantastic movie

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
My wife and I stumbled across "Violent Night" on Prime, was pleasantly surprised.
Different take on the origin of Santa (Viking history) and the main character is Hopper actor from Stranger Things; David Harbour.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Anybody seen Killers of the Flower Moon?
i started watching it last night , i started watching it around midnight but cut it off after about 45 minutes. it wasn't bad, it was just too late to start a 3 and a half hour movie. going to finish it tonight.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
In all seriousness, the Godzilla movie out now is pretty damn good and definitely worth seeing in theater. My son is a huge fan so took him to see it - possibly the best Godzilla film I’ve seen (he’s made me watch probably a dozen or more of them). There were maybe two things I’d have liked to have seen done differently, but otherwise it was a fantastic movie
Japan or America ? If it's not Japan it's not the real Godzilla .

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login