So when the Orange Bowl matchup was announced

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I wonder if FSU has the same tribe buried under their field as we do…***

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I was naïve enough to be excited about it. Now, not so much.

"The No. 5 Seminoles are set to be without at least 15 players on both sides of the ball in Saturday's Orange Bowl showdown against No. 6 Georgia, including seven players who earned All-ACC honors."

Well I'm thankful for my memories of the game the way it used to be.
Are they making any money off of these games when enough people stop watching or going because the players that made the team aren't there?

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I guess the players knew the committee was right, without their OB, they were going to get their arse stomped.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. That could have been a great game & potentially given FSU a legitimate claim for a national title. But we’re back to the 50s & 60s with bowl games. Nothing more than an exhibition reward for a good season (or now a mediocre one).

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Meh, I've never carried much about bowl games (other than those that impact the national championship) and by attendance figures I think most fans are like me. Bowls will take much more of a back seat next year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Or revoke their scholarship and NIL for not playing.
No idea how the NIL stuff is set up but most of the guys not paying aren’t coming back anyway. Either going to the draft or transferring, so not sure they care about a scholarship for the spring semester anyway.

For what it’s worth, in the case of Florida State, I don’t blame their guys for not wanting to play. They essentially got told that without Travis they were nothing.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
We need contracts you want the money snd to be an employee well you need the contract that comes with it. You sign you get paid you leave or don't perform you either pay it back or get fired
yep contracts, taxes, ss, and agent fees

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Meh, I've never carried much about bowl games (other than those that impact the national championship) and by attendance figures I think most fans are like me. Bowls will take much more of a back seat next year.
My family went to almost every bowl during since the croom 2007 liberty bowl - missed the 2020 year and last year. I’m almost certain we’ll never go to another. We treated it like a mini vacation and enjoyed our time visiting wherever the bowl was, never got too wrapped up in caring about the game itself.

But man, these games are terrible with half the starters gone. I might go to Memphis or Nashville if I can get super cheap / free tickets, but I sure as hell ain’t traveling 8+ hours and paying $50-$100/ ticket to watch the 50 players left on our roster play in a Florida bowl. It’s a shame because we enjoyed the trips and watching most of our bowls.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Gotta pay them to play in bowls now as well
Yeah, I saw where Minnesota was going to
be without a QB, so they had to pay 30,000 to get one to play. NIL was supposed to allow student-athletes make money off jersey sales, autographs, and other things like this since they couldn't get jobs. It wasn't supposed to create the rogue system we have today. Sad times for college football.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I was naïve enough to be excited about it. Now, not so much.

"The No. 5 Seminoles are set to be without at least 15 players on both sides of the ball in Saturday's Orange Bowl showdown against No. 6 Georgia, including seven players who earned All-ACC honors."

Well I'm thankful for my memories of the game the way it used to be.
Florida State fans were upset about not being included in the playoffs, but the players?....not so much.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The NIL collectives are just proof that the NCAA members are totally incapable of following their own rules. No matter what the rules are they will find a way to circumvent the intentions and usually to the detriment of the system.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you are not in the playoff, they are meaningless.
True words, if you aren't in the 4 this year or 12 next year, its totally meaningless. It's made even worse by the fact that most teams lose money by going because they travel w/ large staff delegations, bands, etc

Reactions: patdog

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The NIL collectives are just proof that the NCAA members are totally incapable of following their own rules. No matter what the rules are they will find a way to circumvent the intentions and usually to the detriment of the system.
This is why Ole Miss will become an Elite Program.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just think of Bowl games as exhibition games, like the 3rd game of NFL Preseason. If you are not in the playoff, they are meaningless.
I love it when folks like Rosebowl rant and say, "it's college football, it's a good thing". No, it's not a good thing if literally nobody cares.

The playoff should have been expanded 5 years ago. This phenomena started around 2013, and has just eroded exponentially since then.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What's going to be interesting is when it gets to the point that similar numbers occur for playoff teams in the future.
Won't happen. Those games matter.

If you truly think players will opt out of the playoffs, then you are entirely too cynical and seriously need to stop watching college sports.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Florida State fans were upset about not being included in the playoffs, but the players?....not so much.
This is what I'm trying to get my head around. There have to be some FSU NIL contributors (who love and have pride in their school) watching this and saying "well before I contribute again I want to get a few things straight". Just how long before NIL contributors realize they're being taken for a ride and the people profiting off of the game should be footing this bill because all of the "win one for Gipper" or "dear old Alma Mater" stuff is as extinct as the dinosaurs.

Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
This is what I'm trying to get my head around. There have to be some FSU NIL contributors (who love and have pride in their school) watching this and saying "well before I contribute again I want to get a few things straight". Just how long before NIL contributors realize they're being taken for a ride and the people profiting off of the game should be footing this bill because all of the "win one for Gipper" or "dear old Alma Mater" stuff is as extinct as the dinosaurs.

This was entirely predictable - psychologists call this the Overjustification Effect. Receiving an external reward for doing something you enjoy diminishes the enjoyment and the intrinsic motivation to perform the task.

We've officially made college football players professional athletes with NIL, and the more the players are receiving, the stronger the overjustification effect becomes. Would you expect a bunch of NFL players to show up and play an exhibition game without compensation, risking their future earnings, just for your enjoyment? Of course not. NIL has created a similar situation.

If we keep NIL or similar, the only way bowl games are going to continue is if the sponsors step up and offer some kind of compensation to players to participate.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm close to it as are many people I know.
I get it and I'm not trying to dog you. But I do think that there are some that are over the top with the negativity. For one, the majority of players don't sniff NIL, and the NIL that is thought to be handed out is exaggerated. People think it's just total free agency, and it isn't, for the majority. So, along that line of thought, if you think that players will opt out of the playoff for money, you might be nearing that point.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I certainly think there are some players that would opt out of the playoffs for money. Might not be wide spread but I'm sure there are some.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I certainly think there are some players that would opt out of the playoffs for money. Might not be wide spread but I'm sure there are some.
If I've assured myself of being a first round draft pick on a team that made the field but didn't really have a shot at winning I'd be like 17 a playoff .

Reactions: Dawg1976

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Won't happen. Those games matter.

If you truly think players will opt out of the playoffs, then you are entirely too cynical and seriously need to stop watching college sports.
May not see opt outs, but we’ll for sure see some transfer out before the games are played. Teams this year are already dealing with that although I think most have been backups. But it will happen some with starters too once you get 12 teams involved

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login