So. Why has Dan McDonnell always seemed out of the question?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Marlon Brando Movie GIF

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
Louisville is pretty rough, it does have a lot better options than Starkville (it is 10x the size) but it is a dump. It is also chalk full of some really ignorant people. I know there are ignorant people everywhere but I was blown away in KY, especially considering the amount of badasses the state has produced.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He turned us down and we're about to fire his best friend. There's less that a 0% chance he'd even take our call. We can stop with the McDonnell stuff.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Because he said no last time and he is Lems best friend. He isn’t going to take our job. Its fine. Plenty of good folks out there
I agree with you that he won’t take the job… but I’m not too proud to be turned down. From all accounts last time, he did heavily consider the job. I would be pretty disappointed if we conduct a search and he’s not at least called. He is undeniably one of the best coaches in the country.

Reactions: wdawg44

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because he said no last time and he is Lems best friend. He isn’t going to take our job. Its fine. Plenty of good folks out there
It's really this simple.

Short-list is fairly easy. Tim Corbin (though he's getting old), Lane Burroughs and Butch Thompson. It's really the last 2. The 2011-2013 teams were some of the most competitive, gritty teams MSU has ever fielded. Hard players with talent, unlike our launch angle and velo gun broskis. Those two guys were a direct part of that, and now they've proven they can be successful head coaches. They also understand our recruiting footprint needs to heavily lean into Alabama. Deciding between those 2 is really the only choice if Corbin turns us down again.

I'm not at the point of firing Lemonis yet though, but you have to be prepared I suppose.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Louisville is pretty rough, it does have a lot better options than Starkville (it is 10x the size) but it is a dump. It is also chalk full of some really ignorant people. I know there are ignorant people everywhere but I was blown away in KY, especially considering the amount of badasses the state has produced.
Please enlighten me, a resident of 22 years of this sh|th0le city how bad it is. Comparing ignorance levels with Mississippi in the equation is laughable.

Also, there are 8 Targets in the metro area. 🖕

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
There were plenty of good folks after the 2018 season too and look what happened

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I agree with you that he won’t take the job… but I’m not too proud to be turned down. From all accounts last time, he did heavily consider the job. I would be pretty disappointed if we conduct a search and he’s not at least called. He is undeniably one of the best coaches in the country.
Oh I agree. I dont need to win a press conference/search. I just want to win. Gauge everyone’s interest. But hiring CBB coaches is really really hard for any school.
I think our realistic list looks something like:

Nate Yeskie, Nate Thompson, Burroughs, and Butch.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If... we fire Lemonis we need Butch Thompson. He handles pitchers great, seems to recruit well, and is a MSU man. Hiring him would almost be a slam dunk

Talking about a replacement while the present coach hasn't been fired yet sounds really desperate guys. It looks bad. Calm down and take things one step at a time.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
2 straight CWS trips and a national title? Basically the best 2 back to back seasons in our history.

Nice call, buddy. No matter how it ends Lemonis was the right hire.
That's a good point. Even with these past two seasons, you can't call Lemonis a bad hire. Even for the folks that believe he only won with Cohen/Cannizaro/Henderson recruits, he still had to actually WIN with those recruits.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
KY's school systems make Mississippi's look good. And they're woke as all get out.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
If... we fire Lemonis we need Butch Thompson. He handles pitchers great, seems to recruit well, and is a MSU man. Hiring him would almost be a slam dunk

Talking about a replacement while the present coach hasn't been fired yet sounds really desperate guys. It looks bad. Calm down and take things one step at a time.
We need to let the season play out and then Selmon & Keenum can sit down with him to review the past 2 seasons. I'm not in favor of a mid-season firing which is sounds like you aren't either.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Because Louisiville > Starkvagas
Not in terms of college baseball. Not at all.

I don’t necessarily even want McDonnell, but College Station is a billion and 7 times worse than Fort Worth and our main coaching target ended up there last time. Of course, our AD seemed to have had a hand in that…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Am I going to have to dust off and re-do this hoary old post?

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Ron Polk</span> for better or worse is MSU's Ronald Reagan: a visionary who got people excited and proud of MSU baseball. Like Reagan, Polk's second term wasn't quite as successful, but Polk will be remembered as fondly as Reagan is.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Tommy Raffo</span> is Hillary Clinton circa 1998. Smart, but deferred his own aspirations to earn the job by staying home. Clinton eventually was elected Senator in her own right. Will Raffo become head coach?

<span style="font-weight: bold;">John Cohen</span> is Barack Obama. Smart. Well-Regarded. Experienced, and by some reports even charismatic, but does he have enough experience at the highest level?

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Dan McDonnell</span> is John McCain. Very well respected, but there are <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Republicans</span> MSU fans who wonder about <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">politicians</span> coaches who seem to be friendly with <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Democrats</span> Rebels.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Pat Casey</span> is Rudolph Giuliani. He's the name candidate who has the positive buzz, but does he want the job?

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Mike Kinnison</span> is Bill Richardson. He's got lots of experience and is underrated.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Brian O'Connor</span> is Mike Huckabee. He has executive experience and is energetic.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Tim Corbin</span> is Mitt Romney. Romney made Republicans relevant in Massachusetts. Corbin made baseball relevant in Vanderbilt.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Mike Anderson</span> is John Edwards. He's well-regarded enough to make circulating lists of potential candidates, but does he have enough experience?
<br style="font-weight: bold;"> <span style="font-weight: bold;">Steve Smith</span> is Joe Biden. He's seen as an expert in <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">foreign relations</span> pitching and has plenty of coaching experience.

_________________________________________________ Disclaimer:
The above has the potential to be quite dumb, but I figured I'd post it anyway... This is what happens when a coaching search occurs during an election year.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I think we are forgetting that alot of coaches turned us down because they didn't want to work with Cohen. And I don't blame them. Eat **** John, I know you read!

I love you all,
GOJ

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Brokerdawg

Jul 1, 2012
Very very very few sitting head coaches in baseball move from a P5 job to a P5 job. Obviously there are exceptions. I don't think Butch leaves Auburn for us unless we have a lot more in NIL than they do. He's in his early 50's and probably has 5-8 good years left. I wouldn't want to take over this dumpster fire if I am him. Lane would crawl back as HC or as a Associate HC for Butch or any component hire. You always kick the tires on a Dan Mc, Godwin, etc before you settle for someone like the first 2 mentioned.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Very very very few sitting head coaches in baseball move from a P5 job to a P5 job. Obviously there are exceptions. I don't think Butch leaves Auburn for us unless we have a lot more in NIL than they do. He's in his early 50's and probably has 5-8 good years left. I wouldn't want to take over this dumpster fire if I am him. Lane would crawl back as HC or as a Associate HC for Butch or any component hire. You always kick the tires on a Dan Mc, Godwin, etc before you settle for someone like the first 2 mentioned.
They never did before because the money wasn't big enough. But that's started to change in the last 20 or so years. And it will continue to change, however the popularity and money in the game change.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's a good point. Even with these past two seasons, you can't call Lemonis a bad hire. Even for the folks that believe he only won with Cohen/Cannizaro/Henderson recruits, he still had to actually WIN with those recruits.
Exactly.

99 percent of us would accept a natty in the short term in any other sport MSU competed in if it meant some lack of success in the following few seasons.

#Thatsbaseball

Reactions: Dawgg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's really this simple.

Short-list is fairly easy. Tim Corbin (though he's getting old), Lane Burroughs and Butch Thompson. It's really the last 2. The 2011-2013 teams were some of the most competitive, gritty teams MSU has ever fielded. Hard players with talent, unlike our launch angle and velo gun broskis. Those two guys were a direct part of that, and now they've proven they can be successful head coaches. They also understand our recruiting footprint needs to heavily lean into Alabama. Deciding between those 2 is really the only choice if Corbin turns us down again.

I'm not at the point of firing Lemonis yet though, but you have to be prepared I suppose.
We aren't getting Corbin or Butch either.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Several years ago I stopped at the KY welcome center off I65 on the KY/TN line. Although, I've visited over a dozen countries and spent considerable time in Asian and the Middle East, I was not prepared for some of the humanoid creatures I saw. There were certainly some bipedal figures that don't fit in our current fossil record. It was enough to have made Billy Graham question his beliefs on human evolution.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login