Soccer flopping

HulksStache

Mar 4, 2013
I know nothing about soccer. Is the flopping that necessary to get a penalty? They lay down fake crying. It’s hard to watch.

Reactions: aTotal360

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Fall Over In The Face GIF by Major League Soccer

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Guys, no one is holding a gun to your head to watch it. If you don’t like it, then don’t watch it.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Have you watched the NBA in the last decade or so? A penalty in soccer can 💯 change the outcome of an entire game, in basketball you might get a foul and a couple shots but they still do it.

Until they raise the penalties for faking it (and they have some), I don't blame them for trying.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Have you watched the NBA in the last decade or so? A penalty in soccer can 💯 change the outcome of an entire game, in basketball you might get a foul and a couple shots but they still do it.

Until they raise the penalties for faking it (and they have some), I don't blame them for trying.
Exactly. It's ridiculous in both sports. Soccer needs to use VAR to give yellow cards for flops and start giving penalties when the player that was fouled doesn't flop.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I don't watch much soccer, but I would guess that the players flop because the referees call a foul every time the players flop.

The refs should stop doing that. If the refs did stop calling fouls when the players flop, then the players would stop flopping.

Problem solved! ***

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't watch much soccer, but I would guess that the players flop because the referees call a foul every time the players flop.

The refs should stop doing that. If the refs did stop calling fouls when the players flop, then the players would stop flopping.

Problem solved! ***
Exactly. If you think SEC football refs are bad, Premier League refs are a lot worse.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly. It's ridiculous in both sports. Soccer needs to use VAR to give yellow cards for flops and start giving penalties when the player that was fouled doesn't flop.
VAR is probably the only answer now, but man the running clock makes review/stoppage time painful, especially if you're down in the match.

I know the soccer world will never do it now, but maybe early on they should've made a player sit out for a couple minutes for egregious flopping. Similar to making a faker take a play off in football, except that doesn't really penalize the team. Actually more like a penalty box in hockey -- being down a man would stop the clowning real quick.

Reactions: patdog
Jul 1, 2013
I think most soccer fans agree with the non-soccer fans on this.

International soccer, especially the South American countries, is worse than the Premier League. Though it's still bad in the PL, they will at least occasionally give a yellow for faking or exaggerating contact.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Reason number 1001 why I don’t care for or watch soccer.
I probably miss a bunch of hot Brazilian women in tight tee-shirts or boob flashing but that’s the reason for Twitter/X
I get this take, but if you watch for a while (like if you have kids playing, for example) you actually start to have a wider view and it can be great. My kids and I can sit and watch an entire match, discuss what's going on, and love it. It's not nearly as boring when you understand it and have a broader view of what's going on, but I could see it taking a while to figure out.

I feel the same about NASCAR. So 17'ing boring, I can hardly watch it. I assume if my kid was a driver and I was forced to watch more of it and understood the intricacies going on, I'd like it more.

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I get this take, but if you watch for a while (like if you have kids playing, for example) you actually start to have a wider view and it can be great. My kids and I can sit and watch an entire match, discuss what's going on, and love it. It's not nearly as boring when you understand it and have a broader view of what's going on, but I could see it taking a while to figure out.

I feel the same about NASCAR. So 17'ing boring, I can hardly watch it. I assume if my kid was a driver and I was forced to watch more of it and understood the intricacies going on, I'd like it more.
Not me, my oldest played travel soccer for 5 years. We played in every town of any size from Dallas to Memphis to Atlanta and I can't say I enjoyed any of the matches. I fully supported her and her team but hated every minute of watching soccer

patdog

May 28, 2007

Like most sports, if you know and understand what's going on, it's a lot easier and better to watch. But even then, I only like to watch the Big 4 European leagues or European or USA national teams (men or women), or Mississippi State women. MLS and NWSL just aren't good enough.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
VAR is probably the only answer now, but man the running clock makes review/stoppage time painful, especially if you're down in the match.

I know the soccer world will never do it now, but maybe early on they should've made a player sit out for a couple minutes for egregious flopping. Similar to making a faker take a play off in football, except that doesn't really penalize the team. Actually more like a penalty box in hockey -- being down a man would stop the clowning real quick.
Didn't MLS implement this year? I heard talk but I really haven't watched many matches since most are now on Apple TV

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Not me, my oldest played travel soccer for 5 years. We played in every town of any size from Dallas to Memphis to Atlanta and I can't say I enjoyed any of the matches. I fully supported her and her team but hated every minute of watching soccer
Sorry, soccer world - I gave it my best effort to convert everyone but missed on this one guy**

jk different strokes and all that

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
A lot of you just don't realize how amazingly resilient and brave these soccer players are. They get brutally and violently attacked, and are near death in some instances, but they manage to get up, sacrifice themselves and continue playing to selflessly help their teams. Soccer needs some recognition like the equivalent of a Medal of Honor or Distinguished Service Cross for these types of players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login