Soccer Post: Ligue 1 = Pac-12?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The basis for my Pac-12 comparison:

The LFP has been trying to sort its new TV deal — for the rights to show Ligue 1 matches from 2024 to 2029 — since October, when an ambitious auction looking to bring in €1billion (£840m; $1.1bn at the current rates) a year was scrapped because there were no takers.

At that time, LFP president Vincent Labrune had hoped to spark a bidding war involving current broadcast partners Amazon Prime and Canal+, as well as Qatar-based beIN Sports, British sports streamer DAZN and potentially U.S. media giant Apple. Yet no offer came and so Labrune was forced to go back to the drawing board.

One media executive told the Financial Times, a British newspaper, that the auction process had been a “s**tshow”.

“LFP has been on this for a year and comes back with literally nothing,” another senior figure at a national broadcaster, also speaking on the condition of anonymity to protect relationships, told The Athletic. “Only six months ago, Labrune promised them Apple and €1billlion a year.”

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Sounds like the PAC12 but the teams can’t leave. The best players & coaches can though.
Exactly.

The Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and Serie A are doing this…

Rubbing Hands Disagree GIF

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s been an atrocious league for years. PSG got that middle eastern oil infusion of capital about a decade ago and has dominated the league. No one else has been relevant in the champions league for a while. If not for PSG being good they’d all just be the equivalent of a lesser league like Russia, Belgium, Netherlands, etc. They can’t hold a candle to the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, or Serie A.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s been an atrocious league for years. PSG got that middle eastern oil infusion of capital about a decade ago and has dominated the league. No one else has been relevant in the champions league for a while. If not for PSG being good they’d all just be the equivalent of a lesser league like Russia, Belgium, Netherlands, etc. They can’t hold a candle to the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, or Serie A.
With media rights being distributed worldwide, few soccer fans outside France are ever going to want to watch Ligue 1, when they have 4 options for better soccer. I love soccer. But I haven’t watched a full MLS game in at least a decade other than an Atlanta United game I went to. Too many other better options.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login