Soccer Post: USMNT versus Honduras...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

It's the United States versus Honduras.

The standings:

How important is this match?

Here's Grant Wahl:

I've been doing this for 26 years, so I've got some perspective. If the US doesn't get 3 points at home on Wednesday, it's a huge problem. I also don't get US Soccer's Minnesota-in-winter choice. But the bottom line is the US is still on track to qualify for the World Cup. https://t.co/cSo8ZLjcOC— Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) February 2, 2022

And get this: Both Tyler Adams and Chris Richards are out with injuries & it'll be really cold-- we're talking single digit temperatures but with no wind.

But if today's match had been in Columbus, this match would likely be during an ice storm.

Today's matches:

What I said about them Sunday evening:

Canada at El Salvador — Canada are in the driver’s seat and have maybe the best remaining schedule but at the same time they have the disadvantage of playing three of their last four matches on the road. Of those three, this is the best opportunity for them to win— but El Salvador is a tricky opponent at home.

Honduras at United States — A must-win for the United States in order to create some separation from the fourth spot. This is their next-to-last match in the US and their last three contests are at Mexico, versus Panama, and at Costa Rica.

Panama at Mexico — Three of Panama’s last four matches: At Mexico, At the US, and hosting Canada— needless to say, for them to advance, this is where they need to prove it. They just have to make sure not to have a home letdown against Honduras before they travel to Orlando.

After hosting Panama, El Tri also host the US, travel to Honduras, and then host El Salvador.

Costa Rica at Jamaica — The Ticos travel to Jamaica, host Canada, go to El Salvador, and then host the US to finish off the octagonal. Jamaica next hosts El Salvador, travels to Canada, and then hosts Honduras. The Ticos need an away win to be in contention for the playoffs because right now they’re 4 points behind Panama.

patdog

May 28, 2007
After the debacle of not qualifying for 2018, I said we can never again fire a coach in the middle of qualifying. If we don't get 3 points tonight, I might re-think that.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
If we lose tonight it's time to disband the organization from the top down. That being said I think we win by a field goal.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We can't hardly wait.#USAvHON x @VW pic.twitter.com/o51RswRzLn— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) February 2, 2022

idog

Aug 17, 2010
they are expecting -30 degree wind chill. i think everyone there will be asking who thought it was a good idea to play this game in Minnefreezingsota.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]“Hold on to your butts.”- no Pulisic, no Dest, no Musah, no Aaronson in the XI- Weah, Cannon, Morris, de la Torre, Pepi, Acosta in pic.twitter.com/gVlOZ9gEpR— Brian Sciaretta (@BrianSciaretta) February 2, 2022 [/FONT]

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Looking good so far. Another goal will be icing. "Let's Go Mexico." I'm not sure I've ever said that before and it's kinda like me saying Hotty Toddy. But, we need them to beat Panama.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]Minnesotans are built different. pic.twitter.com/wF7mCj3SOo— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) February 3, 2022 [/FONT]

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Final. 3-0, USMNT.

The Ticos won earlier tonight at Jamaica 1-0.

El Salvador and Canada are scoreless in the 20th minute.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I just got home from a travel **** show to Norfolk. Never landed in Norfolk, sleeping at home tonight…

anyway, turned this on right after it ended…I know it’s been brought up, but can Anyone explain the choice of venue? St. Paul in February?? I haven’t googled but surely…there is some explanation. Surely this wasn’t strategic thinking we needed zero degree temps to beat Honduras…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Travel — Berkhalter wanted places near where Canada was going to play us.

If Canada had chosen to host us at Vancouver, we’d have likely hosted matches at Seattle and Portland.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Canada scores in the 66th minute. Leads 1-0.

Mexico and Panama are scoreless at the 26th minute.

Feb 20, 2011
Canada wins 2-0.

Mexico and Panama are scoreless at the half.
A Panama win will eliminate El Salvador. Not that they had a real chance anyway, but it would make it official. And that would leave 5 teams playing for 3.5 spots (with Canada’s lead, essentially 4 teams playing for 2.5 spots).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]Mexico scores on a dubious penalty call to take a 1-0 lead on Panama in the 80th minuteConflicting moment for #USMNT fans. On one hand, watching Mexico earn a questionable penalty is annoying, but them beating 🇵🇦 would bring 🇺🇸 that much closer to a World Cup qualifying berth pic.twitter.com/8qpk8x7c51— Ives Galarcep (@SoccerByIves) February 3, 2022 [/FONT]

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Some good news. Hector Herrera won’t be playing for Mexico versus USMNT next month because of yellow card accumulation:

[FONT="]Mexico beat Panama on a penalty. And Hector Herrera picked up a yellow and will miss the game against the US. Just about a best case scenario for the USMNT.— Jason Davis (@davisjsn) February 3, 2022 [/FONT]

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And finally Bill Connelly with the stat breakdown. Until next month, y'all...

#USMNT 3, HONDURAS 0* As dominant on paper as it was to watch* That was some pretty passing, Kellyn Acosta* Weah and McKennie continue to look reeeeeally good together* (They would've dominated like this in non-Arctic conditions, too.) pic.twitter.com/hXMVStstem— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) February 3, 2022

So basically...a) The magic number is 4 pts to top Costa Rica, 6 to top Panamab) Beat Panama, and any other win/draw (or CRC dropped pts) clinchesc) Beat Panama, then.d) Canada plays both PAN and CRC. I've always said nice things about you, Canada, just so you know.— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) February 3, 2022

af102

May 17, 2009
There are some reports surfacing that Costa Rica had some players on the field that tested positive when they arrived in Jamaica. Theoretically they could be forced to forfeit the game after the fact (or be DQ'ed from the whole thing) depending on what happens. I don't expect anything to come of this because CONCACAF isn't known for their stringent rule following.

From the below article, it looks like the players in question previously had COVID, quarantined, and then tested negative recently. The situation is either a reinfection or tests that are showing up as positive a few weeks later (which is entirely possible).

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article...rica-played-covid-positive-players-jff-doctor

If Costa Rica's 1-0 win over Jamaica were overturned, I believe Jamaica would be credited with a 3-0 win. That would drop CR to 13 points, and we would only need to beat Panama to clinch at worst 3rd place.

Feb 20, 2011
The task for the USMNT against Mexico: Away points.
Away points at Mexico is crucial. Panama hosts last-place Honduras next, so even with a draw at Mexico, that likely pulls them to within 2 points of the USA through 12 matches.

Panama closes by hosting Canada who, by that time, will have clinched a WC spot. So I don't think we can count on Panama dropping points there.

So it basically comes down to needing to beat Panama at home on March 27. I'll be surprised if Panama doesn't get 6 points from their other 2 games. Drop points against them, and it gets real tight. And then we're left needing a result at Costa Rica in the last match. We don't want any part of that. Gregg Berhalter knows something about that:

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we just about have to beat Panama to automatically qualify. Even a point at Mexico probably doesn't really change that. Of course, a win at Mexico would be real nice. But with a 3 match window, and games vs Panama and Costa Rica to close out, we may have to "sacrifice" the Mexico game to have our best players in good form for the last 2 matches.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login